hello from coastal south Jersey

6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_timsueoc_*

Guest_timsueoc_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2008 - 08:24 PM

I'm so happy to have found this site. It seems I've been Internet searching "Indigenous Salt Water Aquarium", "Local Fish Tank" and the like for years before I finally got here.
I live at the Jersey shore and collect native fish from the ocean and bay here. I have had my salt water tank for 2 years and seen many amazing things happen in there. My sea cucumber recently expelled it's guts and is now regenerating (thankfully it wasn't the poisonous kind).
Do we have many members keeping native salt water tanks here? I've been looking for someone to share experiences with. I hope to post many pictures I've taken over the years.

Sue

#2 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2008 - 10:25 PM

Welcome to the forum!

Most of us keep freshwater, but there are a few brackish and saltwater native keepers on here.

#3 Guest_pmk00001_*

Guest_pmk00001_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2008 - 05:37 AM

Hi Sue -

Welcome to the forum. Although I don't keep a saltwater tank (at the moment) I'm definately looking forward to hearing about your set up and seeing some pics.

I know Mikez keep some saltwater tanks. I'm sure he'll chime in here soon.

#4 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2008 - 07:47 AM

Welcome to the forum.
Yes, I keep native saltwater - both cool water species and tropical strays.
You're in a good spot for tropical strays. You get all the ones I get here [spotfin & foureye butterflies, biclored damsals etc] as well as some that are very rare up here [blue angels, reef butterflies etc].
Have you ever found any strays?
What species do you keep?

#5 Guest_timsueoc_*

Guest_timsueoc_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2008 - 12:31 PM

Welcome to the forum.
Yes, I keep native saltwater - both cool water species and tropical strays.
You're in a good spot for tropical strays. You get all the ones I get here [spotfin & foureye butterflies, biclored damsals etc] as well as some that are very rare up here [blue angels, reef butterflies etc].
Have you ever found any strays?
What species do you keep?

Yes, I've had a spotfin butterfly but haven't seen the other species you mention - I sure hope to find some this year! We frequently find Florida Pompano & Jack Crevalle in the fall at the warm water outflow of our nearby power plant. Some of my favorites have been Feather Blennies & Pipefish. The Pipefish are difficult to keep because I have to raise live baby brine shrimp for them. I usually have some Tautog, Stickelback, various minnows & silversides. Right now I have a Mangrove Snapper. She is very territorial & aggressive, tormenting the Croaker and other fish. I call her "she" because I can't believe a male fish could be such a bitch.

I particularly enjoy the invertebrates: sea cucumber, sea whip, spaghetti worms, barnacles, anemones & crabs. I had a bunch of Limpets, but the Oyster Drill Snails made their way around and ate them all. Do you keep invertebrates?

I walk the dog on the beach nearly every day and always find something to add to the tank. I enjoy throwing in pieces of driftwood, shells & rocks and watching all the bugs, worms & polyps, etc. that come out. Are you near the beach?

What time of year do you begin to seine? Do you have traps? I hope to place some traps this year because it's the only way to catch the hiders such as Blennies and Oystercatchers which aren't free swimming as often to be caught up in the seine. Do you have any pictures posted?

#6 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2008 - 04:39 PM

As far as inverts go, I like hermit crabs but most of the inverts I put in for my butterfly to eat.
I've posted pics here and there before but here's a few few to get you inspired.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 Guest_timsueoc_*

Guest_timsueoc_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2008 - 09:19 AM

Wow - fantastic fish! I hope to post some photos soon. I quit my job last year so I will be putting in more time acquiring fish this season. Can't wait!
DSCN7759.JPG

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users