20 gal L river tank

31 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2008 - 06:30 PM

I am planning on doing a 20 gal L river tank with atleast one powerhead on one side of the tank burried in a rock pile. I plan on doing a little DIY background/side so there are more "rocks" around and then use a piece of driftwood and scattered stones across the bottom. I plan on having a few vals in there as well. I would like to keep darters and topminnows, but from what I have read, topminnows don't like current, so I need some advice on what else to keep with the darters.

Thanks,

NV

PS I will work on some designs and ask your guys insight

#2 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2008 - 06:36 PM

Daces (genera Clinostomus, Phoxinus, and Rhinichthys) are small, active, attractive stream fishes. There are also a number of smaller shiners that would do well in your tank.

#3 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2008 - 07:07 PM

would sailfin shiners work? I really like how they look, but don't know much about them.

#4 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2008 - 07:10 PM

I haven't kept sailfins, but I believe they are a quiet pool species, not really suitable for a strong current tank.

#5 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2008 - 07:11 PM

I haven't kept sailfins, but I believe they are a quiet pool species, not really suitable for a strong current tank.

How about the Tapallosa shiner or the red shiner? any experience with either of them?

#6 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2008 - 07:23 PM

Sorry, no. Tallapoosas I don't know much about at all. Red shiners are supposed to be tough as nails, so they'll probably be OK in your tank, but I don't think they're really a stream species; I associate them with big water rivers and lakes.

#7 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2008 - 09:02 PM

Sorry, no. Tallapoosas I don't know much about at all. Red shiners are supposed to be tough as nails, so they'll probably be OK in your tank, but I don't think they're really a stream species; I associate them with big water rivers and lakes.

Well, do you have any pictures of the dace species you reccommend?

Anyone else have any more suggestions? I would like some color

#8 Guest_Doug_Dame_*

Guest_Doug_Dame_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2008 - 09:44 PM

would sailfin shiners work? I really like how they look, but don't know much about them.

Sailfin shiners (Pt. hypselopterus) like to school and play in the current, that's where you find them. (And their propensity to keep returning to the same happy spot is handy for the contingent of ever-aging collectors who'd rather not have to chase them all up and down the crick.) Of course, where they're found there's usually not enough topography to make a real hyperactive flow.

d.d.

#9 Guest_FishandFire_*

Guest_FishandFire_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2008 - 10:39 PM

I got my red shiners in a fairly large creek. There are parts of the creek that get moving pretty quickly. I have collected them in these areas as well as slower pooling areas. They are great fish.

#10 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2008 - 01:51 AM

NV,

I often catch Spotfin Shiners (Cyprinella spilopterus), Common Shiners (Luxilus cornutus), and Hornyhead Chubs (Nocomis biguttatus) in waters with current where I catch darters. The most practical of these fish for your 20L tank would be the Spotfin Shiners. Males can be quite spectacular, too. Hopefully, I'll have some of these in-stock soon. By the way, negotiations with the DNR are going well and I should be able to go out collecting and have some in-stock soon. Anyway, if you don't want to wait for Spotfins, any related shiners, like the Bannerfin Shiner (Cyprinella leedsi, available at SSA) should be good.

#11 Guest_smilingfrog_*

Guest_smilingfrog_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2008 - 02:27 AM

Well, do you have any pictures of the dace species you reccommend?

Anyone else have any more suggestions? I would like some color

Sorry no pictures, but for color I would suggest southern redbellied dace, or possibly red sided dace. Both very attractive fish. Lots of brilliant red color in them. I don't have any experience keeping red sided dace, but have heard they are jumpers. A group I was with had some in a photo tank last year and they did jump a few times just in the few minutes that we were taking pictures. If you get those make sure your tank is covered.
I have some of the redbellied dace in my tank and am very happy with them. They color up quite frequently. Pretty much anytime something excites them. Turn the light on they color up, drop in some food they color up, etc... They've also never expressed any interest in aviation.

#12 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2008 - 07:20 AM

NV,

I often catch Spotfin Shiners (Cyprinella spilopterus), Common Shiners (Luxilus cornutus), and Hornyhead Chubs (Nocomis biguttatus) in waters with current where I catch darters. The most practical of these fish for your 20L tank would be the Spotfin Shiners. Males can be quite spectacular, too. Hopefully, I'll have some of these in-stock soon. By the way, negotiations with the DNR are going well and I should be able to go out collecting and have some in-stock soon. Anyway, if you don't want to wait for Spotfins, any related shiners, like the Bannerfin Shiner (Cyprinella leedsi, available at SSA) should be good.

Well let me know when you can do that and maybe Corbin and I can come along? lol I will be looking at the different species you had listed and will get back to you.
Also Brian, SSA doesn't have the bannerfin shiner, which is a stunning looking fish.

Thanks everyone, any other input is appreciated!

NV

As of right now might be leaning towards hte spotfins or the bannerfins.

Edited by NVCichlids, 30 April 2008 - 08:01 AM.

#13 Guest_rick_*

Guest_rick_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2008 - 12:44 PM

Well let me know when you can do that and maybe Corbin and I can come along? lol I will be looking at the different species you had listed and will get back to you.
Also Brian, SSA doesn't have the bannerfin shiner, which is a stunning looking fish.

Thanks everyone, any other input is appreciated!

NV

http://www.aquacultu...lla_leedsi.html

Rick

#14 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2008 - 06:25 PM

thanks for pointing that out, I guess I completely missed looking at those sections.

#15 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2008 - 03:13 AM

Well let me know when you can do that and maybe Corbin and I can come along? lol I will be looking at the different species you had listed and will get back to you....Thanks everyone, any other input is appreciated!

NV

Nate,

Did you take a look at my Spotfin Shiner page? I've got pics of a great male Spotfin! You can see him here. And maybe I will get you and Corban out with me!

Brian

Brian J. Torreano - Owner
BTDarters
American Native Fish for
your aquarium...and more!
Web: http://www.btdarters.com
Phone: (262) 268-7489

#16 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2008 - 07:15 AM

Good, I have been waiting like crazy to do this. When about do you think it will happen? ( cause depending on that is the urgency of me setting up the tank lol.) I am a fast worker, but would like a little notice so I can do my DIY background for it.

Have a good day and look forward to going out collecting with you guys!

NV

#17 Guest_sumthinsfishy_*

Guest_sumthinsfishy_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2008 - 05:10 PM

Any type of sucker or chub would do well with a current.
Many types of darters too.
My spotfin shiner loves the current.
Banded Killifish like current.

#18 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2008 - 02:20 AM

Good, I have been waiting like crazy to do this. When about do you think it will happen? ( cause depending on that is the urgency of me setting up the tank lol.) I am a fast worker, but would like a little notice so I can do my DIY background for it.

Have a good day and look forward to going out collecting with you guys!

NV

Nate,

Not sure yet when I'll be able to get out and get wet. The DNR is still working on my special permit for collecting. I'll keep you posted, though. I'll send you a PM or email you when I'm able to go. I'm not sure I have your email, though. Mine's here. Could you shoot me an email just so I'm sure that I've got it? Thanks.

Brian

Brian J. Torreano - Owner
BTDarters
American Native Fish for
your aquarium...and more!
Web: http://www.btdarters.com
Phone: (262) 268-7489

#19 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2008 - 11:27 AM

I seriously cannot wait. I am buying the styrofoam this weekend along with the plumbing piping for the current. Hopefully by next weekend I can have a rough draft done~

#20 Guest_DooSPX_*

Guest_DooSPX_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2008 - 09:20 PM

I have a 20 Gallon Long Tank, its 30X12.5... I plan on keeping spotfins, a few dace and a few darters in it. I have all the PVC to build a single powerhead river manifold. They are coming from the Potomac River, there the current is about 2-4 mph. I plan on getting a very small powerhead, nothing big.

sound like a plan??

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users