- - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian and Julie Zimmerman
Gamber, Ohio 43022
1-330-417-9476
- - - - - - - - - - - -

In Stock

grass_pickerel.JPG
Grass Pickerel Esox americanus vermiculatus - $10.00 each
Viscous minnow eater and a great small predator fish!
Temperature preference: 60-77 degree F
Maximum Size: 10-12 inches

PM - Smbass
330-417-9476

#2 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2008 - 07:34 AM

grass_pickerel.JPG
Grass Pickerel Esox americanus vermiculatus -

Awwwww! It's cute!

#3 Guest_Canadiancray_*

Guest_Canadiancray_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2008 - 05:55 PM

Awesome looking fry!!!

#4 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2008 - 10:27 PM

I wouldn't hardly call that a fry, they only get 10 inches, maybe 12 at the largest and will breed at 1 year of age and about 5 or 6 inches in length. The picture is actualy of an adult I caught that was spawning in a ditched stream in NW Ohio last spring.

#5 Guest_macantley_*

Guest_macantley_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2008 - 08:58 AM

any way to sex them? if i could get a male/female id take a pair?

how do you ship them? overnight, or USPS priority? im in charleston WV by the way, what would the cost be?

and last, would they be alright in a 125 gallon tank with two longear sunfish? i dont want to overpopulate the tank

matthew

#6 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2008 - 12:21 PM

I find these all the time around 2-3". Neat little preditors, used to have some in a 125 gallon tank. Only to have that tank back again.

Very nice looking and very fair price!

#7 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2008 - 09:15 PM

any way to sex them? if i could get a male/female id take a pair?

how do you ship them? overnight, or USPS priority? im in charleston WV by the way, what would the cost be?

and last, would they be alright in a 125 gallon tank with two longear sunfish? i dont want to overpopulate the tank

matthew

I send fish out using USPS priority mail starting at $10 and I don't think I could sex them at a small size. They are $10 each and I would not recomend keeping a 2-3" pickerel with an adult longear, I don't think the pickerel would last long.

#8 Guest_macantley_*

Guest_macantley_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2008 - 09:53 AM

I send fish out using USPS priority mail starting at $10 and I don't think I could sex them at a small size. They are $10 each and I would not recomend keeping a 2-3" pickerel with an adult longear, I don't think the pickerel would last long.

i can deal with that, i was expecting them to be the size of the one in the picture, but if they are smaller i can put them in a growout tank, ive got a 29 gallon tank with 3-4 1-2" longear sunfish and some red-eyed rock bass, then ive got a growout 65 gallon tank with baby black convicts at 1/4-1/2" that make good feeders :) and there are 1.5-2" texas cichlids in it as well (about 6 of them) but probably 50+ convicts ranging from 1/4" to 2"

i currently feed my fish 1-3 times a day, they get flakes, and pellots, but two to three times a week they get live earthworms or bloodworms, i also have feeder minnows and feeder convicts.

just let me know when they are available and if you take paypal ill send money right away.

matthew

#9 Guest_jc333_*

Guest_jc333_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2008 - 09:55 AM

i think i speak for a lot of people when i say I WANT ONE!!! let us know when they are ready!!
i cant wait! ive been looking forward to getting some since last summer, when i was just a few weeks too late ...

#10 Guest_kingdaddy8685_*

Guest_kingdaddy8685_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2008 - 10:00 AM

Zimmerman Fish
Captive Bred Native Fishes

- - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian and Julie Zimmerman
Gamber, Ohio 43022
1-330-417-9476
- - - - - - - - - - - -

... Coming Soon ...

grass_pickerel.JPG
Grass Pickerel Esox americanus vermiculatus - $10.00 each
Viscous minnow eater and a great small predator fish!
Temperature preference: 60-77 degree F
Maximum Size: 10-12 inches
PM - Smbass
330-417-9476

WOW, nice Pickerel!

#11 Guest_kingdaddy8685_*

Guest_kingdaddy8685_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2008 - 10:01 AM

i think i speak for a lot of people when i say I WANT ONE!!! let us know when they are ready!!
i cant wait! ive been looking forward to getting some since last summer, when i was just a few weeks too late ...

You are absolutely right bout that. I'm sure MOST of us want one.

#12 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2008 - 06:56 PM

Agreed. Lots of people on the forum would love to have a pickerel. I'm hoping to get some redfins soon.

I don't think I could sex them at a small size

Is there a way to sex them when they're larger? If so, at what size?

#13 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2008 - 07:48 PM

I read something about vent sexing musky one time and it would likely apply to pickerel too but I don't remember what the differences were. The best way is probably to catch them in the spring just before they spawn and the fat ones are females skinny ones males. At that time of year it seems males are darker with more distinct markings but this is purely my own observation not scientific. They seem to mature in one year and spawn at about 5-6" in length.

#14 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2008 - 08:08 PM

I read something about vent sexing musky one time and it would likely apply to pickerel too but I don't remember what the differences were. The best way is probably to catch them in the spring just before they spawn and the fat ones are females skinny ones males. At that time of year it seems males are darker with more distinct markings but this is purely my own observation not scientific. They seem to mature in one year and spawn at about 5-6" in length.

Thanks. Yeah I think I remember reading that too. I had a thread asking about vent sexing, and thought it might apply to the Esox sp. You said the same thing in that thread, but no other input was added about it. Centrarchid posted some pics of green sunfish, although a totally different fish, the same differences may apply, since they also apply in the catfish family.

http://forum.nanfa.o...?showtopic=3192

#15 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2008 - 09:10 PM

Sorry I really wish I could remember where that was or what I was reading for that matter, just remember it being about vent sexing musky and thats about it.

#16 Guest_AppStateBimmer_*

Guest_AppStateBimmer_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2008 - 09:23 PM

do you ever get any Redfins in stock? or just grass?

#17 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2008 - 06:32 AM

do you ever get any Redfins in stock? or just grass?

Brian afaik only breeds grass pickerel.

There are others who get redfins, but I'll let them post who they are.

#18 Guest_jc333_*

Guest_jc333_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2008 - 09:47 AM

how many do you think you are going to have when they are ready to sell ??

woo hoo! my tank is ready ! :) :)

#19 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2008 - 09:12 PM

That is correct, I only deal with Grass Pickerel. I don't know how many there will be but probably 100 or more... I'll be checking on them again this weekend.

#20 Guest_macantley_*

Guest_macantley_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2008 - 08:04 AM

That is correct, I only deal with Grass Pickerel. I don't know how many there will be but probably 100 or more... I'll be checking on them again this weekend.

When they are ready ill take 3, hopefully with 3 i lay better odds of getting a male/female pair.

if i dont get a pair my brother is going to take one for his 75 gallon tank, another friend wants one for his 150, and ill just keep one.

but expect me to order atleast 3 of them.

matthew

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users