Aquatic Shade lovers

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_mander_*

Guest_mander_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2008 - 09:44 PM

Hi!

We have a lot of woods around our place and sun lovers don't just cut it. Everything on the market is geared to the sun. Anyone know of shade loving aquatics?

Thanks!

Mander

#2 Guest_jase_*

Guest_jase_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2008 - 09:54 AM

Hi!
We have a lot of woods around our place and sun lovers don't just cut it. Everything on the market is geared to the sun. Anyone know of shade loving aquatics?
Thanks!
Mander

I think some of the mosses (both native and non-native) can tolerate very low light. I find dense mats of mosses in streams pretty deep in the woods somtimes, and I've kept them with some success in pretty low light.

#3 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2008 - 10:39 AM

Just how much shade are you talking about? If it's pretty deep day-long shade, then Jase's suggestion of mosses and other non-vascular plants may be about all you can grow. At least in my area, deep-woods waters are usually unvegetated or just have some creeping liverworts such as Marchantia.

But if your pond gets some sun, that opens up your options. Hornwort, some ferns, horsetail, etc. can deal with partial shade.

#4 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2008 - 11:40 AM

Are you talking true aquatics, or wetland plants in general? I can't think of any shade aquatics except for Riccia. If you are looking for wetland plants to surround the pond, ferns may be a nice touch (I adore ferns). I will probably think of other ideas later. How wet is the site you have?

#5 Guest_mander_*

Guest_mander_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2008 - 01:21 PM

Are you talking true aquatics, or wetland plants in general? I can't think of any shade aquatics except for Riccia. If you are looking for wetland plants to surround the pond, ferns may be a nice touch (I adore ferns). I will probably think of other ideas later. How wet is the site you have?

Wet. Trying to figure out what to do with a man made pond about 6 feet in diameter. Shade is all we have, sun is NOT an option. Got plenty of plants outside of the pond, but what can I grow inside it?

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users