Odd eel in New Jersey (from aquariacentral forum)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2008 - 02:45 PM

I came across this thread on Aquaria Central: http://www.aquariace...ad.php?t=152009

It was apparently captured in a lake in NJ, and several others were seen. Does anyone know what it is or have any info on this apparent introduction? I guessed that it might be a swamp eel (Synbranchidae), as it appears to lack fins altogether, but I'm not at all positive on the ID. I also urged the poster to contact NJ's DNR, but who knows if they actually will.

#2 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2008 - 06:36 PM

thats a Synbranchid....... Monopterus albus by the looks of it.. :sad2:
Not sure how the hell it would live or establish in NJ though....Then of coarse stranger things have happened and these fish are known to tolerate low temps.

#3 Guest_diburning_*

Guest_diburning_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2008 - 10:52 PM

They sell live asian swamp eels here at the oriental market

#4 Guest_critterguy_*

Guest_critterguy_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2008 - 04:17 PM

Wow a lot of odd posts in that thread. :mellow:

#5 Guest_itsme_*

Guest_itsme_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2008 - 08:47 PM

Probably should report it to these guys. Doesn't look like they have a record for New Jersey:

http://nas.er.usgs.g...sp?speciesID=974

#6 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2008 - 12:19 AM

Wow a lot of odd posts in that thread. :mellow:

Clueless folks. For sure a Synbranchid. Like Brookster said.

I've kept both Synbranchid eels and Caecilians. There's no confusing the two.

#7 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2008 - 07:12 AM

Probably should report it to these guys. Doesn't look like they have a record for New Jersey:

http://nas.er.usgs.g...sp?speciesID=974

I think they do have the data from some different catches along the east coast, it just has not yet made it into the database. Often takes awhile for the information to be authenticated and ID verified.

Regardless... Yipeee! yet another exotic on the move....

#8 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2008 - 03:39 PM

I guess he reported it after all:

http://www.nj.com/ne...atens_nati.html

#9 Guest_SunnyRollins_*

Guest_SunnyRollins_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2009 - 07:12 PM

thats a Synbranchid....... Monopterus albus by the looks of it.. :sad2:
Not sure how the hell it would live or establish in NJ though....Then of coarse stranger things have happened and these fish are known to tolerate low temps.

Oh I've been keeping an eye on these fellows(sorry for a late response, but thought I'd chim in) for the past few months. From what I've read and heard they're in that lake by the hundreds. They've been there for at least 4 or 5 years.

#10 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2009 - 10:02 PM

Oh I've been keeping an eye on these fellows(sorry for a late response, but thought I'd chim in) for the past few months. From what I've read and heard they're in that lake by the hundreds. They've been there for at least 4 or 5 years.

Could you please give some Background on these in New Jersey? I have not seen anything much about this or the 4 to 5 year date.

#11 Guest_SunnyRollins_*

Guest_SunnyRollins_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2009 - 10:54 PM

Could you please give some Background on these in New Jersey? I have not seen anything much about this or the 4 to 5 year date.

Well I haven't been able to see them personally so I can't give you much firsthand experience. All I know is that they are there, officials occasionally come by to electrofish them out, and they estimate that they've been there for about 4 or 5 years. I learned this all via Google and Youtube. Oh yea, and the local papers too.

That lake is loaded with turtles, including red eared sliders(another introduced...ugh), painted turtles, redbelly turtles, and common snappers, which leaves me to wonder why the heck aren't the turtles eating them?

I do plan on visiting this lake and collecting a few not this weekend, but the following one. Who knows...maybe I'll have some for Thanksgiving dinner! Seriously though, I'll let you guys know what happens.

Edited by SunnyRollins, 18 November 2009 - 10:55 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users