Planning a trip come join me

9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_nativecollector_*

Guest_nativecollector_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2008 - 10:02 PM

After finding out how many people are this close to me I am attempting to put a collecting trip together.

We will be sampling mainly from the Chowan River, Pasquatank, and Prequimans River drainages. I have several spots where we can only get to the edge of the water, but others where you will be able to use waiters and get out into the water more. There are two State parks in my area and neither one will allow you to catch your own bait, therefore meaning we cannot dipnet or seine for fish there.

Some of the things you may find in the area are

Redfin Pickerel ( there are only a few places where we will be able to keep them from )
Eastern Mud minnows
Swamp Darters
Pirate Perch
Bluespot sunfish
Black Banded sunfish ( they are here I just have not cought any yet )
Pygmy banded sunfish ( these will be rare and only in a few of the places )
Common shiners
some kind of sucker ( I am not sure what these are and I have only cought one and could not id it at the time )

Some of the fish you will possibly see but cannot keep if cought in a net
Bluegills
Pumpkinseeds
Warmouths
Shell Crackers
Largemouth Bass
Redfin Pickerel ( again there are two spots that I know we can keep them if cought in a net )

There are also several different catfish in the area but I have not attempted to catch any to identify.

Oh and the wonderful reptiles we have around
Cotton Mouths
Timber Rattlers
Aligators ( dont worry there are only a few,,,,,,,,,,,,, big ones that is )

I have not yet set a date for the trip but it will be a saturday in the month of May or possibly June. I want to see how many are interested in the trip and what dates sounds good for all who want to go. The only weekend off limits on my schedule is the weekend of the 25th of May.

If anyone is interested in comming and staying for a second day (Sunday) and you are traveling futher than a day trip will allow I will put in touch with some of the local Hotels. (Edenton, Elizabeth City, Suffolk Va.)

Things you will need
NC Fishing license ( you can get one of these via the internet, or the local WalMart among some other places )
your choice of collecting gear
and you might want to pack a lunch some of these place are not that close to even a fast food place to eat.

If interested please only post here dont PM me about the trip, this way others know who all is interested in going.

#2 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2008 - 10:44 PM

I'd be interested in coming down to visit, probably in june. You get any lined topminnows down that way?

#3 Guest_nativecollector_*

Guest_nativecollector_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2008 - 07:32 AM

I dont actually know, I would think it possible I know I used to catch them a little further south of here (well about 3 hours south). The only minnows I am used to seeing around here are the overly populated skeeter fish.

#4 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2008 - 08:53 AM

My brother lives in Raleigh. I wouldn't mind coming down to visit him for a weekend, and maybe hitting the water with you on a Saturday or Sunday (or both). I don't know when would be a good time yet, but not in May. Don't plan your trip around me, but if it's a good time, I'll come. If it's not, I'll come some other time this summer or fall, if that's alright with you.

#5 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2008 - 10:31 AM

Let me know as it isn't a long long drive for me.

#6 Guest_nativecollector_*

Guest_nativecollector_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2008 - 12:57 PM

All I need is some good dates for the ones that plan to come.

Here are the available date to choose from
May 17 and 18
May 31 and June 1
June 14 and 15
June 28 and 29

I know that the futher out we plan it the better chance of more people making it.
Let me know what everyone thinks.

#7 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2008 - 07:28 PM

I might be able to make it up there, depending on what I can work out with my grandparents.

I'm available for any of those dates except May 17-18 if I can get up there. Only problem is I'm down here in GA, but like I said I may be able to get up there for the trip if I can talk real nice to my grandparents.

Edited by fishlvr, 07 May 2008 - 07:30 PM.

#8 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2008 - 08:20 PM

Hi NativeCollector,
I got your PM. I might be able to come along, but not until June.

#9 Guest_nativecollector_*

Guest_nativecollector_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2008 - 10:13 AM

Well doen't look like too many people are wanting to give dates. So here is what I am proposing for a date,

June 28-29

This will give everyone that wants to come plenty of time to plan for the trip. It will also give me more time to try and get more locations that we can collect at. I want to narrow it down to somewhere that will give everyone that comes a chance to get what they are comming for.

I would like to know who plans to attend, which days you plan to attend, and what things you are most interested in finding or seeing.

I will also make available by the middle of June a map of how to get to the collection sites as well as an agenda of what the day/days will consist of. If there is anything that you think you may need and don't have access to before you get here let me know and I will try to accomendate.

If there is anything you can think of that would make the trip better for all, please let me know about it and I will try to make it so.

Edited by nativecollector, 13 May 2008 - 10:14 AM.

#10 Guest_nativecollector_*

Guest_nativecollector_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2008 - 11:07 AM

I have been waiting to hear back from folks that wanted to make the trip, but have heard nothing. So this weekends adventure will be postponed until a future date can be established in which more people would be able to make it.

If at any time someone wants to come to the area just let me know I will make some arrangements to show you around.

Pat (NC)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users