Brindled madtom video

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2008 - 12:13 PM

I got a couple of these guys from Nate Tessler this week, and while feeding the other fish in the tank, they decided to come out and join in on the meal. I've always had the impression that madtoms are shy, nocturnal fish. Maybe these are just a little braver than most?

madtom video

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 11 May 2008 - 12:22 PM

I got a couple of these guys from Nate Tessler this week, and while feeding the other fish in the tank, they decided to come out and join in on the meal. I've always had the impression that madtoms are shy, nocturnal fish. Maybe these are just a little braver than most?
madtom video

They are often shy, but it varies from species to species and fish to fish... I had margined madtons that always came ouot every evenong when I got home form work and fed the fish... I currently have an ozark madtom and a speckled madtom adn rarely see either one of them... so you got lucky... you got some that it looks like yu are going to get to see on a regular basis.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2008 - 12:31 PM

They are often shy, but it varies from species to species and fish to fish... I had margined madtons that always came ouot every evenong when I got home form work and fed the fish... I currently have an ozark madtom and a speckled madtom adn rarely see either one of them... so you got lucky... you got some that it looks like yu are going to get to see on a regular basis.

Yay! I'm glad I'm going to get to see them during the day. I noticed last night while watching them they seemed to enjoy chasing my snail bullhead around, and it's about the same size as they are. I was afraid it would be the other way around. :?

#4 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2008 - 01:10 PM

Cool video Steve. Brindled madtom have zero qualms about coming out when they're hungry. If you want to see something really cool, get some little leaf worms from a bait shop and feed whole worms in when they're prowling. You've seen the YouTube video of the water buffalos, lions and crocs, right? It's got NOTHIN'!!! ;)

Todd

#5 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2008 - 01:32 PM

Cool video Steve. Brindled madtom have zero qualms about coming out when they're hungry. If you want to see something really cool, get some little leaf worms from a bait shop and feed whole worms in when they're prowling. You've seen the YouTube video of the water buffalos, lions and crocs, right? It's got NOTHIN'!!! ;)

Todd

Alright I'll try it, if I can get the worms to the madtoms without the other fish eating them. I guess I'll just put 'em all in at once, so everybody can get some. I'll try to get a video of them eating too. :D

#6 Guest_BullHeadsrdfish_*

Guest_BullHeadsrdfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2008 - 01:41 PM

Nice Video. What size tank is he in and what are the tankmates?

#7 Guest_octavio_*

Guest_octavio_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2008 - 01:44 PM

Nice fish Steve, that is great that they are not shy and will come out and feed. I have two Speckled Madtoms that I have never seen, my wife floated and released them. They went straight for the drift wood and stay hidden all the time.

#8 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2008 - 02:00 PM

Thanks for the compliments guys.

Bullheadsrdfish, they're in a 30 gallon tank with 6 fathead minnows, an alabama shiner, a bandfin shiner, 3 dollar sunfish (not yet big enough to harm the other fish; they're gonna get moved soon), a 2" snail bullhead, two eastern mudminnows, and a bluehead chub.

Octavio, I'm really glad they come out. I was expecting that they would hide all day, since that's what I've been told most madtoms do.

I'm really hoping these two turn out to be a pair, so I can get a spawn or two. Maybe tank-raised madtoms won't be as skittish as most WC fish are.

#9 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2008 - 05:59 PM

I'm glad you're enjoying them. :smile2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users