Problem with my Acrylic tank

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_bearskookums_*

Guest_bearskookums_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2006 - 02:24 AM

I hope this is the right place to post this...not sure if to post here or at the photos section....but here goes...Mods please reroute this if I am wrong thanks...
I have a 29 gal acrylic tank(by Clear for Life) and recently this year I've moved 3 times and when I finally settled down...I opened the box the tank was in...and checked and noticed on the front right corner theres some kinda horizontal lines/cracks on the inside....

Also after a while having this tank I noticed the seams/joints on the tank have like bubbles...dont really know how to describe it but I am posting photos to show it..I was wondering if anyone with an acrylic tank has the same problems? Its not leaking...but wanna make sure before I set it up again...thanks

#2 Guest_Oddball_*

Guest_Oddball_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2006 - 02:58 AM

The small gouges should be OK strength-wise. They're too deep to buff out so, either leave them alone or put a drop of heavy Weld-on to fill the gouges and lessen the glaring white presentation. The seam bubbles were already there before your move. Looks like the bonding agent wasn't 'floated' completely before it set. If you want, you can clean the seams with alcohol and apply some thin Weld-on to fill/bond the rest of the seam gaps. However, the bubbles will still be there since they were fixed in position during construction.

You can find Weld-on acrylic bonding agents on ebay and at rplastics.com

#3 Guest_bearskookums_*

Guest_bearskookums_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2006 - 03:37 AM

the damage on the corner of the tank looks more like hairline splits/cracks...the dont show up well on the photos...its on the inside and when I run my fingernails over them I feel the hairline crack...
Hmm...so it should be ok to set it up?
Is that Weld-on easy to apply? Just wondering if it will look rough or will it look like silicone on glass aquarium?...now I just gotta find a stand for it...anyone here knows how to make a stand from supplies readily found in home depot?

#4 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2006 - 02:43 PM

Don't those things have a lifetime warranty?

#5 Guest_bearskookums_*

Guest_bearskookums_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2006 - 03:19 PM

Yeah it does have a lifetime warranty...but when I called them about 2yrs ago....they said it would have to have a leak or something like that...and it was in los angeles...which I regret not bringing down to show them since I lived in los angeles back then.... :(
Now I have moved halfway across the country to Missouri...so I dont know if its worth sending it back all the way there...
from reading this forum seems like a few members mentioned Glass Cages...are their tanks good?
I saw they have a nice 65 gal acrylic tank for about the same price I paid for my 29gal...but it doestn come with any hood etc...and it has a black frame on the top and bottom...

#6 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2006 - 06:33 PM

Looks like the bonding agent wasn't 'floated' completely before it set.

Can you elucidate on this?

#7 Guest_bearskookums_*

Guest_bearskookums_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2006 - 06:55 PM

the seam bubbles I think developed a few years after I had it...cause I remember I bought it around Dec 2000 and the tank was super nice and I remember thinking to myself how I liked the seams cause I cant see the silicone etc...Does anyone have any acrylic tank made by this company? Clear for Life? http://www.advanceaq....com/index.html

#8 Guest_nativeone_*

Guest_nativeone_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2006 - 09:18 AM

I live about an hour from glass cages plant. and I like there tanks, I buy them almost exclusivly, You cant really beat the price and quality however, their stands and canopys are not as nice,If you get up into the larger tanks they have some very nice stands and canopys for them but anything under 240 gallon and its kinda bland. However again the tanks are very well built in my opinion.

#9 Guest_bearskookums_*

Guest_bearskookums_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2006 - 01:43 PM

Hi nativeone...do you have any of their acrylic tanks? I am interested in their 65 gal...are the front corner seams seamless? as in rounded/molded where its one continuous piece of acrylic from front to the sides? Also I noticed they have black frames on the top and bottom...was just wondering if thats for cosmetic or does that serve a purpose? I kinda like them without any frames...anyway I am still thinking if I get a 65 gal what would I do with the top? :shock: What do most of you do to cover it up what are they options?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users