my native tanks, maybe some ID questions too, sunfish :)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_macantley_*

Guest_macantley_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2008 - 08:35 AM

ok, ill start with my 90 gallon tank with 20 gallon sump, this tank was setup for salt water originally (not by me) and ive been using it for freshwater, currently it has about 3 dozen minnows i got from the local rod/gun store, there were three brook sticklebacks in the bunch but they all died first day (they were not doing well wheni got them) the rest are odds and ends, maybe someone can identify them from the bad photo's i took, NONE of my camera's take good closeup photos.

anyway here they are, the pictures of the 90 gallon (4foot x 18 inches front to back, x 24 inches tall, looks like i cant put the photo's between each paragraph so the first 4 pictures are the 90 gallon

Next is my 125 gallon tank, this tank houses 6 sunfish, i believe 2 are longear, 3 are pumpkinseed, and one is a green sunfish for sure, also are some small minnows in the tank just to keep the sunnies happy :)

the tank is alittle cloudy so sorry for the pictures, ive added alot of filtration to the tank in the last couple days to help with the cloudy water, not sure whats going on, its been setup for a month now, i put the sunnies in last week after keeping other fish in it to start its cycle.

anyway's ill start wiht what im pretty sure are the longear sunfish
should be the next 6 pictures from the first 4

then last is my 65 gallon tank, in this tank i have black convict fry (one month to 4 months) some 6 month old texas cichilds

and what i believe are pumpkinseed sunfish and some redeye'd rock bass, i only took pictures of the red eye'd rock bass. but here are the next set of photos they are all photo's that i have that are AFTER the 6 sunnie photo's

Attached Files

#2 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2008 - 09:42 AM

The sunfish in your pictures #6 - 10 are longears. Anything else is too hazy.

#3 Guest_choupique_*

Guest_choupique_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2008 - 10:10 AM

The one in the center of the one up from the bottom picture with the convict cichlids looks like an ozark bass Ambloplites constellatus. But, those are far from WV. Must be really speckly young rock bass - A. rupestris. Then again, Arkansas exports a lot of minnows to bait shops. Not clear if you inherited some of the fish from the rod and gun clubs tank or not.

The third photo from the bottom, the sunfish right in the center has the profile of a green sunfish.

The second to the last photo of the longears might be a female, the rest appear to be males.

Nice fish. I go along with Bruce, can you get a few clearer shots of the of the sunfish in the convict tank?

#4 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2008 - 11:11 AM

The one in the convict tank looks like a warmouth to me, but a clearer pic will tell for sure.

#5 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 18 May 2008 - 07:57 PM

Fourth fish from the center in the second photo is a juvenile Nocomis nofocus, the blurry chub.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users