Home made aquarium Stands?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2007 - 07:24 AM

Yup that would make my tank 232 lbs!!! :shock:
Thats why I am kinda weary in buying some of those stands that look like skinny bird legs...theres some of those cheaper metal frame ones but they sway left and right easily....I noticed another member here used something like this:
http://www.lowes.com...d...&lpage=none

That lowes thing looks a bit shakey to me. Not offense to the person using them. How are they working for you and are they sturdier than they look on the photo from Lowes??

#22 Guest_viridari_*

Guest_viridari_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2007 - 08:49 AM

That lowes thing looks a bit shakey to me. Not offense to the person using them. How are they working for you and are they sturdier than they look on the photo from Lowes??

I have something like that which I use for some of my other hobbies and they are very strong, very solid & stable. I think putting ~400 lbs on a shelf might be asking for trouble but if you were setting up your tanks for display instead of density (and thus putting fewer tanks per shelf) they would likely work fine.

I've got around 250 pounds of computer equipment on just one of the shelves in my rack and don't even sweat it. That rack is loaded top to bottom with computer hardware, and not home PC's either but heavy old corporate UNIX systems. Sun makes much denser equipment than Dell. :wink:

The nice thing about these racks vs. custom wood racks is that if you get frustrated about the amount of space between the top of your tank and the next shelf above, you can fix it. With custom wood racks, you're kind of stuck with what you've got.

#23 Guest_dredcon_*

Guest_dredcon_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2007 - 01:47 PM

I currently use some like the ones from lowes. I don't know if they are them model, but I like them. I have been using some that I got at sams as a tank stand for about 5 years without any problems. They are rated for about 800 lbs. per shelf, if spread evenly. I have a ~30 gal on the top shelf and a ~25 and a 10 on the lower shelf, and it is rock solid. I bought a smaller version from lowes and have been using them for about 6 months now. I did not put it together completely giving me 2 separate units. On one I have one 20 gal and on the other I have 2 shelves, one with a 20 gal and one with a 10 gal. I feel comfortable with their security. They feel more solid then the store bought wooden stand on my 45. That being said, I don;t think putting a tank on the top shelf, if put together fully, would be a good idea.

#24 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2007 - 08:12 AM

Well are you going to make you a stand or not? Do you like the open concept or a cabinet type like the large one posted here. If you like the black one I posted I do not draw plans but I can. But really all you need is the outside dimensions of the plastic frame on the bottom of your tank then you can go to work. My wife does not like my stands :cry: because everything shows like supplies etc etc but I likesum because they are inexpensive to make and extreemly easy to make and you can park a car on top of them and there will be now swaying like you mentioned.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users