Southern Michigan Spot gar sampling and research 2008

18 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2008 - 11:58 PM

Starting this year Solomon David (University of Michigan) and myself started an intensive project to study the Spotted gar (Lepisosteus oculatus) in Michigan Covering many unknown aspects about these fish in this northern disjunct distribution. For Solomon it is his Phd for me I'm just damn interested in the fish and tagging along adding my expertise to this..

For some background:
Spotted gar (L. oculatus) are very rare and uncommon fish in Michigan. This is about as far north as they range and this population is separated from the Mississippi basin populations by hundreds of miles. They exist here only in Glacial lakes and in connected basins to the St. Joseph and Kalamazoo river watershed. (I do remember having an interesting discussion about this with Gerry Smith of UMMZ but will spare this detail) While noted for Lake Erie and the Detroit river to Lake St. Clair they are extremely rare. One population in Lake Erie on the Ontario side however seems to be strong. This is the subject of another study being conducted by University of Windsor.

Well now lets get to the point:
First thing to do is find the fish...

We scouted out over 31 lakes over the coarse of three days finding access points and evaluating habitat when we could. Out of this we decided there is no way to sample these areas effectively without correct equipment.

Enter Garforce 1 a single boom getto rigged shocker perfect for reaching into weedy wetlands..
Garforce1_1.jpg
Garforce1_2.jpg

Took a few days to get this equipped and going..
More in next post..

#2 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2008 - 12:17 AM

After testing.. (and barely having things work)
Known Spot gar lake in Branch county..

Lots of Bowfin....
Bow1.jpg
Bow2.jpg
Bow3.jpg

Tons of Bass and other sunfish including some very very large Redears and darn nice warmouth.. Also got many Grass pickerel.
warmouth.jpg
Interesting fish however where the Blackchin and Blacknose shiners. Lots of starhead killies Creek chubsucker
dispar.jpg

and of coarse our prize...
spot003.jpg
sopt002.jpg

More later...

#3 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2008 - 08:27 AM

Gar Love... Is it so wrong??? :)

Great stuff Richard!

Todd

#4 Guest_choupique_*

Guest_choupique_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2008 - 09:34 AM

After spending time with some gar, it's hard not to love them.

#5 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2008 - 01:36 PM

I'm curious about the single boom set up. How does that perform? Is the field large and strong enough? Does it get in the way of netting fish? What are you using for a cathode, I don't see anything visible? Gotta be loud for whoever is driving!

#6 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2008 - 10:13 PM

I never thought about using hollowed-out dead gar as flutes. Until Now!

#7 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2008 - 10:53 AM

I'm curious about the single boom set up. How does that perform? Is the field large and strong enough? Does it get in the way of netting fish? What are you using for a cathode, I don't see anything visible? Gotta be loud for whoever is driving!

For our use the setup works quite well. (when the equipment is functioning, we have had power supply issues) Fish are drawn out of even heavy veg cover at quite a good distance. Gar however are not the easiest fish to shock so some experimentation continues to be done. Boat acts as the cathode in this setup.... and yeah the thing is LOUD!!!!

#8 Guest_jase_*

Guest_jase_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2008 - 11:04 AM

All I can say is that those of you who get to do this for a living are lucky, lucky bastards!

Nice setup. Gotta love the jury-rigged aspect as opposed to some fancy-schmancy thing you'd order for $25,000 from one of the research supply companies... :)

-Jase

#9 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2008 - 11:03 AM

You guys got into some beauties there. At the lake with the Spotted Gar, do you also find Shortnose Gar? Do they have similar habitat requirements, or are the Spotted Gar more associated with swamps/marshes than Shortnose?

#10 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2008 - 11:17 AM

All I can say is that those of you who get to do this for a living are lucky, lucky bastards!

Nice setup. Gotta love the jury-rigged aspect as opposed to some fancy-schmancy thing you'd order for $25,000 from one of the research supply companies... :)

-Jase

25,000? HA you're kidding me! The 14' Smith Root starts at 60K. I head of a new company, Midwestern something or other, that was starting to make electrofishing boats much cheaper. You can buy the components and outrig a boat any way you want for much less. Then it doesn't way 1,000+ lbs and require manufacturer engineers 3,000 miles away to work on it when a wire blows. They really aren't that hard to build.

#11 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 04 June 2008 - 08:42 PM

I never thought about using hollowed-out dead gar as flutes. Until Now!

You could play "Gars and Stripes Forever"
...or "The Battle Hymn of the Gar-public"
...or
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#12 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2008 - 09:44 PM

25,000? HA you're kidding me! The 14' Smith Root starts at 60K. I head of a new company, Midwestern something or other, that was starting to make electrofishing boats much cheaper. You can buy the components and outrig a boat any way you want for much less. Then it doesn't way 1,000+ lbs and require manufacturer engineers 3,000 miles away to work on it when a wire blows. They really aren't that hard to build.

Not hard at all to build.. A good ol' Smith root GPP a bit of tinkering and your ready to go.. If everything is in new working order you have care free fun shocking... Use really overused, not maintained equipment (our boat) it is a PITA and you wish for one of the 90 grand boats.... I do love this machine though and through this project have begun to love it and hate it on equal terms... So far for every day on the water there are two days repairing or finding replacement equipment.

Such is the world of the Non-game fish investigator...

NateTessler13 Posted Today, 11:03 AM
You guys got into some beauties there. At the lake with the Spotted Gar, do you also find Shortnose Gar? Do they have similar habitat requirements, or are the Spotted Gar more associated with swamps/marshes than Shortnose?

Shortnosed are not found in Michigan outside of a few here and there in Lake Michigan. From what I've noticed in working with Shortnosed is they do prefer a different habitat type. Shortnosed are more of a big river fish and very tolerant of turbid conditions. Shortnosed do not really associate with vegetation but rather are associated with open water over sand muck or gravel / bolder areas. once and awhile they can be found in weedy backwaters but this does not seem to be preferred and when found this way it is often by force. (I.E. impoundment from drought)

We do find Longnosed gar with the Spotteds in a few areas. Longnosed are much like Shortnosed on these lakes where both are found. They tend to prefer open areas often over Marl flats with little veg or they stay in open areas between veg patches. So far we have seen no association or same habitat use by both longnosed and spotteds. (at least during the day, Night is a different realm for these fish)

Spotteds seem to prefer heavy vegetation in clear calm areas. They often tend to stay right at the edges of submerged and emergent veg and are not frequently seen outside of this. They do not have an open water tendency during the day. It is often the case we never see them until on top of them.. We have however seen them at Night moving in very open water but always close to patches of Veg both submergent and emergent.

#13 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2008 - 09:46 PM

You could play "Gars and Stripes Forever"
...or "The Battle Hymn of the Gar-public"
...or

LOL.... Gars and stripes forever....

#14 Guest_Casper Cox_*

Guest_Casper Cox_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2008 - 04:00 PM

Pretty cool on the spotted gar research. Should be lots of fun and always interesting.
Certainly a favorite fish for me, all those gars, the great prehistoric beasts. Ive had plenty of encounters with them while seining and snorkeling and they are all treasured.
I raised a 4 incher from a post office delivered box from BG Granier several years ago. My first official postman delivered fish, i was quite amazed one could "mail" a fish. However i soon became concerned because the gar would not eat the easily obtained gambusia and i was forced to buy and keep live tiny goldfish and guppies on hand to feed it. But it was fascinating to observe it while feeding. After ever patiently and slowly easing up to a tiny fishes side, quicker than you could blink it would have a tiny fish in its mouth. That little gar would twitch a small color swatched finage beyond its anal fin, kinda like a cat, taking the prey's attention away from those tiny teeth. Snap! A couple or 3 quick Gullet Alignments. and then a Gulp & Gone. One day i dropped some freeze dried krill in the 10 gallon tank and the little gar took to eating those readily making my pet and bait store runs much more convenient. It would never eat gambusia though, how odd is that? Do they taste bad? I will have to get someone to try one on our next outing. Maybe roasting with a bit of olive oil.
Later i moved it to the cement pond where i enjoyed watching the gar while snorkeling. It was well patterned and lurked in the shadows, under the raft, amidst the anacharis, high and low and all between. Just how many fish could a gar eat? My pretty fish were seeming to disppear regularily and the last straw was when Geoff Kimber was visiting and his son pointed out my "no longer little" Gar with my favorite Logperch in his mouth!
After a few days of net swiping I eventually captured the now 18 incher and moved him to the corner chamber that houses the gravel filtration pump. Every so often i would toss in dead minnows or such to him. In that chamber were also several small sunfish which he never, ever ate. Ive always been mystified by that and figure that a sunfishes shape and extended spines and rays probably made for an unpleasant swallow. Or maybe they were just friends.
I'm curious what is found in a spotted gars stomach? Certainly they are full of long cylinderical shaped bodies. But sunfish?
Ranger Bob offered to put him on display at the Bay Mountain City park near Kingsport. Bob takes care of several nice native fish displays and im happy to say Mr. Spotted Gar is still doing fine. If you make it up there tell him hi and drop in a minnow or two. I really miss the beast, but, i like my minners and polywogs more.
:)

#15 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2008 - 06:42 PM

Interesting gar story Casper.

Have to say you must have had a pretty picky gar.. In general mine (I have about 20 with representatives of all 7 species) will without much problem feed on Gambusia and sunfish under 60mm.. They will also take all sorts of other foods. Most of mine at home are pretty much fed Pellets, krill and shrimp. I do mix it up though and they also receive whole frozen fish (cyprinids, silversides, shad, round goby etc), fillets of tilapia and carp, as well as live feeds on occasion. (mostly Juvenile carp, alewife and gizzard shad when available)

While no real study has been done on the diet of the Spotted gar in the North part of their range, there has been some research done in the south. Key diet seems to be crayfish, shad and cyprinids. Typical associate species we are finding with these gar up here includes Crays, Chubsuckers, lots of sunfish / basses, Silversides and blacknose blackchin and spotfin shiner. While we have not done any diet work at this time I really anecdotally expect silversides and the Cyprinids to be the majority of the diet, fishwise, and crays making up the rest. Young of the year sunfishes and bass may also play a big part but I'm not so certain about this..

#16 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2008 - 09:27 PM

couple interesting baby pictures....
osseus_oculatus.jpg
loc_002_2.jpg

So far the tally is 50 adult fish tagged recorded and released in 4 lakes. (We have seen many many more) We also have now begun to come across the little guys as pictured above..

#17 Guest_Nightwing_*

Guest_Nightwing_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2008 - 10:41 PM

This is just awesome :biggrin:
I now have another fish to add to my life list!

#18 Guest_Casper Cox_*

Guest_Casper Cox_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2008 - 04:53 PM

Good work BrookLamprey.
I asked Ranger Bob to send me the latest news on Mr. Spotted Gar. He sent a picture and the gar is about 20" long measuring alongside the glass. Eats mostly shrimp and catfish bits but Bob also feeds him caught minnows at times. He is at least 5 years old, probably more like 7 or 8. Kinda small for that age i suspect and stunted from aquarium life.
I like your little gar pictures but dont see the "Luring Tail Appendage"? Well maybe the 2nd pic down shows it, but its on the top side of the caudal fin. Hum. Maybe my memory is faulty. I do remember he could twitch and flutter the fin appendage while the rest of his body was motionless.

I remember another interesting experience with gars. I was camping on this island in the Tennessee river while on a canoe trip. I was wading the shoreline which was suprisingly clear. Lots of tiny debris was floating in the little eddies. Among the twigs and sticks were tiny, 2" long gar. pencil lead thin. I could catch them by slowly raising my cupped hand. They looked just like tiny twigs floating. Their prey must have been nearly microscopic. I kept one in a pop bottle hoping to get it home but no luck.
:(

Attached Images

• GAR.jpg

#19 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2008 - 07:33 PM

Mr. Spot there is a nice looking fish! and at 20 inches it really is not far off from what we are finding a average size.

The little guy in the above pic is still too small to really show the tail appendage. In another week or so it will begin to show better. In typical gar fashion he is growing quickly at about 1mm a day.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users