• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 01 June 2008 - 01:21 PM

Attached File  IMGP0147.JPG   401.99KB   1 downloads

Found this the other weekend at a local pond... brought home a little bit and planted it in a pot of soil, and sunk it in the stock pank / pond that has my top minnows in (out for the summer to hopefully breed). This looks like a great water lilly substitute. But I can't find good information onthe web... is this a great plant or an invasive... some web sites seem to say one thing and others the opposite. What do any of you know about this plant?
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#2 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2008 - 03:34 PM

Good plant. Native. Has the interesting habit of forming a jelly around the underwater parts. Latin = Brasenia schreberi.

#3 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 02 June 2008 - 10:29 AM

Good plant. Native. Has the interesting habit of forming a jelly around the underwater parts. Latin = Brasenia schreberi.

Glad to here it, it seems to be growing (adding shields) and I like that the shields change color as they mature. Yes, I have seen the jelly coating on the stems (and even on the roots) when I was transplanting the plant. I originally thought it was a stress response of some sort, but I did some reading and realized that it was a normal part of the plant.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#4 Guest_dmarkley_*

Guest_dmarkley_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2008 - 02:28 PM

This stuff looks neat. How common is it there? I'd like to get my hands on some.

Dean

#5 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 02 June 2008 - 07:47 PM

This stuff looks neat. How common is it there? I'd like to get my hands on some.

Dean

It is a very interesting plant... the stems attach right in the middle of the leaves (giving it that shield appearance). It seems to grow a little more wild looking and not quite as predictable as a water lilly. Supposedly it has a very small flower... but I haven't seen any. It was very common even you might say prolific, at the pond that I found it on... I could likely stop by and get you a little bit... are you really interested or just browsing?

#6 Guest_Mysteryman_*

Guest_Mysteryman_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2008 - 02:13 AM

Water Shield, eh? Huh. That stuff is pretty common around here, but all this time I never knew it's name. Come to think of it, I don't really recall seeing it so red like that, either. It's usually a very bright green with brownish edges. Anyway, I almost never bother with it since it's so tricky to collect the stuff without a shovel. I have some in my goldfish pool, though. Golden Club ( Orontia ) is another common and spectacular plant here, but again too hard to collect for my taste, and very fragile.

#7 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 07 June 2008 - 09:28 AM

Water Shield, eh? Huh. That stuff is pretty common around here, but all this time I never knew it's name. Come to think of it, I don't really recall seeing it so red like that, either. It's usually a very bright green with brownish edges. Anyway, I almost never bother with it since it's so tricky to collect the stuff without a shovel. I have some in my goldfish pool, though. Golden Club ( Orontia ) is another common and spectacular plant here, but again too hard to collect for my taste, and very fragile.

Well you made me go outside and look... most of the leaves on the plant right now are green with only four that have red around the edges... maybe it is the old leaves dying off that are that red... now I will really have to pay attention... I've only had the plant for a couple of weeks, so I can't tell if I am really doing well with it yet or not. It seems to have been doing OK... I have a lot of new leaves (smaller and green)... and yes, collecting it is rather messy...

#8 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2008 - 05:15 PM

Golden Club ( Orontia ) is another common and spectacular plant here, but again too hard to collect for my taste, and very fragile.

Do like I did and collect the seeds. I'm really stoked about mine - like you say, these plants are spectacular.

#9 Guest_Mysteryman_*

Guest_Mysteryman_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2008 - 08:47 AM

*smacks forehead*
D'OH!

That's a great idea!

#10 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2008 - 04:16 PM

Stick around, I got a million of 'em!

#11 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 08 June 2008 - 07:48 PM

Stick around, I got a million of 'em!

Yeah, but most of them have been outlawed in most states, and many of the others are just plain wrong...

#12 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2008 - 12:20 PM

Ha! That still leaves many thousands of brilliant ideas for public consumption, to be doled out as I see fit! I have to be careful lest y'all overdose on my wisdom :sleep:

#13 Guest_diburning_*

Guest_diburning_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2008 - 09:47 PM

ooooh I want one.

#14 Guest_choupique_*

Guest_choupique_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2008 - 09:54 PM

It is not hard to control if it does get out of hand. You need not get the roots to grow it like water lilies. Just get plenty of stem and push that into the substrate. I should say, a thick sturdy stem, not the wispy pencil lead thick stems that most of the leaves ride on. You can usually find some blown into shore in areas that have a lot of it. It will look like stick that is tan red green, with maybe the jelly on it, and some quarter and dime sized leaves sprouting off it.

The flowers are a bit bigger than dime sized, red with dark red centers. Small, but nice.

I have had it get out of hand a few times, but it was so easy t ofeel around and pull up all the roots and tubers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users