Some new pics

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2008 - 05:38 PM

Here's some pictures I took. The ones of the snails, hets, crays, and geckos, are all with my newfound skill (actually, just a 2 1/2 gallon photo tank [except the geckos, which were in their own tank] I put in the sunlight, an idea I got from Teleost's article in American Currents) :D . The ones of the warmouth, crappie, and snail bullhead didn't turn out as well, since they were in their usual tanks, which have algae and such, instead of in a photo tank.

An unidentified snail from my Oconee drainage creek. They have "trapdoors", but do not get as large as the commonly sold trapdoor snails. They also don't do well in tanks with gravel, and typically die out in a few weeks. I've had good luck with the sand so far though. The seem to sift through it looking for food or something.

Attached File  DSCF2219.JPG   71.2KB   2 downloads

This is another unidentified snail that also has a "trapdoor" from the Amicalola river. Haven't had any babies yet, but they seem to be doing well (I got two, hoping they would breed). They're shaped like trumpet snails. This one has eggs from another snail species on it. :D

Attached File  DSCF2364.JPG   60.24KB   1 downloads

These look like some type of pond snail. I love the leopard patter on them. They have been reproducing like crazy, laying eggs everywhere (see previous picture). They seem to take care of algae pretty well too. Sadly, I can't keep them in the tank that has the most algae, since my brindled madtoms seem to take care of the snails quicker than they can take care of the algae.

Attached File  DSCF2223.JPG   63.24KB   1 downloads
Attached File  DSCF2225.JPG   73.26KB   0 downloads

Here is a warmouth I raised from 1", he is currently 3.5" and eating Hikari Cichlid Gold pellets, which really seem to bring out his color more than other pellets. The third picture is of a crappie that vmahaffe sent me, which feeds on chopped earth worms (trying to get him on pellets)

Attached File  DSCF2186.JPG   41.17KB   1 downloads
Attached File  DSCF2197.JPG   39.51KB   0 downloads
Attached File  DSCF2196.JPG   42.97KB   1 downloads

Two pictures of a couple of my hets. I love the supermacro feature on my camera. :D

Attached File  DSCF2257.JPG   56.48KB   0 downloads
Attached File  DSCF2226.JPG   30.36KB   1 downloads

This is a small Cambarus acanthura

Attached File  DSCF2230.JPG   55.21KB   1 downloads

Here is my snail bullhead. He's about 2.5" right now.

Attached File  DSCF2376.JPG   63.64KB   1 downloads

And last but certainly not least, my leopard geckos (just thought I would through these in here; they're my babies :D ). The first is the female, second is the male. They've laid several eggs in the past 5 years (they'll be 7 years old this coming Christmas), but I haven't hatched any yet, mainly because I haven't had the space to raise the young 'uns. She's gravid again though, so I'm going to try to hatch this batch.

Attached File  DSCF2201.JPG   52.26KB   0 downloads
Attached File  DSCF2284.JPG   53.83KB   0 downloads

Edited by fishlvr, 04 June 2008 - 05:39 PM.

#2 Guest_dafrimpster_*

Guest_dafrimpster_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2008 - 05:48 PM

Leo's are awesome. They are like the goodwill ambassadors for reptiles. They are cute and docile unless you are a cricket. I had a pair for about 4 years that are now part of a 4th grade class. The kid's love them. They send me letters letting me know how the leo's are doing along with pictures. They are a great way to get people interested in herps

#3 Guest_nerfgunner_*

Guest_nerfgunner_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2008 - 07:00 PM

Dude drop some feeder fish in there and watch the crappie destroy them, he is more aggresive then my bass!

#4 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2008 - 08:26 PM

Leo's are awesome. They are like the goodwill ambassadors for reptiles. They are cute and docile unless you are a cricket. I had a pair for about 4 years that are now part of a 4th grade class. The kid's love them. They send me letters letting me know how the leo's are doing along with pictures. They are a great way to get people interested in herps

Definitely amazing little herps, and as long as they're healthy, they'll give you fertile eggs. I'm hoping to get these to hatch. I'm thinking about getting some more geckos, but not sure which species I want yet. I'm thinking about either a Diplodactylus sp. or satanic leaftails (Uroplatus phantasticus).

#5 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2008 - 08:28 PM

Dude drop some feeder fish in there and watch the crappie destroy them, he is more aggresive then my bass!

Yeah, I've fed him wild gambusia. He seems a bit more timid than the other crappie I've owned before (probably due to his horrible shipping experience, not because of the shipper, but USPS, which took over a week to get him to me. The other fish were DOA because of this).

#6 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2008 - 09:07 PM

Nice collection. What camera are you using?

#7 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2008 - 09:16 PM

Nice collection. What camera are you using?

Fujifilm FinePix s8000fd. 8 megapixels and an awesome supermacro feature. It's a great camera, and I would recomend it to anyone.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users