Import/Export living fish

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_HDP_*

Guest_HDP_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2008 - 03:49 AM

Hi,

first of all please excuse my english for it is far from perfect but I'll do my best! ;)

I'm interested in keeping and breeding Etheostoma and Elassoma. The problem for me with this is simple. These fishes are very very rare in germany. Very few Elassomas are for sale and Etheostomas are not available at all. Due to that I would like to import some of the species for my private tanks which sets up new problems. I have no idea of how to import the animals.

Questions are:

Is it possible at all (legally of course) and if it is possible what regulations have to be paid attention to?

Thanks for your replies in advance.

Heiko

P.S.: I am also interested in some crayfish species, especially Cambarus (rusticiformis, manningi) and Orconectes (luteus).

#2 Guest_minnowmizer_*

Guest_minnowmizer_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2008 - 05:29 AM

I'm in the USA and I would like to farm some of these fish. I'll be interested in the answers we find.

I can see why they are popular.

I hope they do not interfere with your local populations in Europe -- that would be a concern.

This company in Wisconson sells Darters, but they are currently out of stock:

BTDarters

Their breeding looks rather involved with close control of temperature and lighting.

Edited by minnowmizer, 05 June 2008 - 05:50 AM.

#3 Guest_HDP_*

Guest_HDP_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2008 - 06:45 AM

I hope they do not interfere with your local populations in Europe -- that would be a concern.

That could be problem but as with all imported species non of them should be released to rivers/lakes in foreign countries anyway.

At the moment I am waiting for an answer to the topic from the responsible authorities here.

Edited by HDP, 05 June 2008 - 06:46 AM.

#4 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2008 - 12:20 PM

First of all is this the Famous {Heiko Bleir ? Spelling}. If it is I have read many of your articles. If not Oh well. I do not have any info on transporting or should I say exporting these fish to your country. All I remember is your famous discoveries of fish. I used to subscribe to some fish magazine in Canada when I lived there. If this is you I thank you for your great work in fish preservation.

Daniel J. Benoit

#5 Guest_minnowmizer_*

Guest_minnowmizer_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2008 - 07:06 PM

There is a forum near the middle of this forum's front page that has several vendors.

This vendor is selling rainbow darters:

Paul Sachs

Edited by minnowmizer, 05 June 2008 - 07:08 PM.

#6 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2008 - 07:48 PM

International trade of living animals is regulated by CITES and by individual nations. First you need to know whether the species you are interested in have any CITES status and look into the regulations regarding such animals. You will also need to know Germany's regulations regarding importation of live animals; I can't help you there, but perhaps a local fish store manager, breeder, or importer will be able to help you learn more about that. The USFWS controls exportation of wildlife from the United States. Only licensed exporters may send you the fish you desire, and they must pay usage fees to USFWS on top of ordinary shipping costs, so you will likely end up paying quite a bit for these fish.

Good luck, and let us know what you find out!

#7 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2008 - 08:14 PM

Nate,

Thanks for taking the time for an informative answer to Heiko's question.

#8 Guest_HDP_*

Guest_HDP_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2008 - 02:20 AM

Thanks Nathan for you explanations. As soon as I know more from the authorities I will post it here.

Btw I am not Heiko Bleher.

#9 Guest_itsme_*

Guest_itsme_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2008 - 09:03 PM

Don't know anything about Germany's laws, but as stated earlier, you need an exporter in the USA who has a wildlife export permit. Then for each shipment there are documents and inspection fees. So if you can find a legal exporter in the USA, there are many of us who can send fish to them for them to send to you. I can't recommend anyone who can do the export, but there are certainly people who do it.

#10 Guest_Mysteryman_*

Guest_Mysteryman_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2008 - 01:52 AM

Getting fish out of America is easy.
Getting them into Germany, though, is not so easy. Your country has some of the most stringent restrictions to be found. There is a man there, in Frankfurt, I think, named Freidrich Bitter who works for several aquarium magazines in Germany, and he once told me of the extensive hassles involved. He imports our fish and inverts a few times each year, so he's very acquainted with the process. You might try him for some details on your end.

Edited by Mysteryman, 07 June 2008 - 01:53 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users