banded killies

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2008 - 10:26 PM

I can't get the blue sheen to show up on the screen looking like it does in person. At least you can get a hint of it.
This is the second batch I've collected in the past two weeks and in both cases the fish were spawning within 24 hours of being netted. I even saved a few eggs from the first batch.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by mikez, 06 June 2008 - 10:28 PM.

#2 Guest_rockbassbud5_*

Guest_rockbassbud5_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2008 - 09:29 AM

I can't get the blue sheen to show up on the screen looking like it does in person. At least you can get a hint of it.
This is the second batch I've collected in the past two weeks and in both cases the fish were spawning within 24 hours of being netted. I even saved a few eggs from the first batch.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I know what you mean by the blue shine. You have to catch them in the perfect light. I currently have four bandeds, two females and two males. what kind of setup are you having them spawn in?

Edited by rockbassbud5, 07 June 2008 - 09:30 AM.

#3 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2008 - 04:32 PM

I'm not really trying to breed them. I just netted a bunch of adults of mixed sex which were in full spawning mode.
I put them into planted tanks and they spawn in the plants near the surface. You have to watch them and take out the plants they spawned into as soon as you can. They really seem hot to eat the eggs, the females especially.
If I were gonna seriously try to breed them, I'd use the standard killie method of spawning mops in shallow water. Replace the mops every couple days and put the used ones in shallow dishes of clean water. Fry hatched in 14 days for me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users