Mean, green, breeding machines

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2008 - 04:23 PM

Octavio sent me one female and two male green sunfish that arrived on Monday. The males both built nests on Wednesday, and the female spawned with the larger male today! Not even a week! It took my convicts longer than that to spawn when they were first introduced.

Pics coming soon! My grandmother has the camera right now.

#2 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2008 - 12:56 AM

Here are a couple pics. Two are of the male and one of the spent female. He's taken up half of the 55 gallon tank. I'm not sure if this batch is gonna survive though, as I have nowhere to raise the fry outdoors(where they could get small live food items) and I don't think my family would like little bottles of brine shrimp in the house. But I'm going to give some of that "first bites" stuff a try and see if it works.

Anyways, here are the pictures.

Female

Attached File  DSCF2751.JPG   41.74KB   1 downloads

Male (you can see some of the eggs under him if you look hard enough)

Attached File  DSCF2763.JPG   57.35KB   0 downloads

His half of the tank

Attached File  DSCF2769.JPG   68.68KB   0 downloads

Edited by fishlvr, 15 June 2008 - 12:57 AM.

#3 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2008 - 08:30 AM

So, will you be doing that experiment discussed with the pro-larvae?

#4 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2008 - 08:37 AM

Good luck with the fry. When I spawned my longears the fry wouldn't touch any kind of dry foods. I suspect you'll have to use live.

#5 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2008 - 11:29 AM

So, will you be doing that experiment discussed with the pro-larvae?

I just went down to get some of the eggs out, and apparently they've hatched (I saw one on a piece of gravel; I couldn't see the others. I'm guessing they fell down in the gravel until swimup?). I guess I just didn't notice the eggs until a couple days after being laid. How long should I wait to breed the female again? She's fattening back up surprisingly fast on Hikari cichlid pellets and I'm going to go get some earthworms for her in a little while.

#6 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2008 - 11:30 AM

Good luck with the fry. When I spawned my longears the fry wouldn't touch any kind of dry foods. I suspect you'll have to use live.

I guess I can try raising a few of the fry instead of a lot of them and try to raise them on microinverts from outside.

#7 Guest_Gambusia_*

Guest_Gambusia_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2008 - 04:02 PM

Nice pictures and good luck with the fry.

If you can get some pond or crick water it might have small organisms for the fry to eat.

#8 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2008 - 08:28 PM

I'm guessing they fell down in the gravel until swimup?

That's the whole point, they may be more than falling down.

If she is feeding well, then could go again at two week intervals. Make certain feeds got good vitamins otherwise hatchability will decline and cretinism of larvae will increase after repeated spawning bouts.

Are you going to feed them baby brine shrimp?

Edited by centrarchid, 15 June 2008 - 08:35 PM.

#9 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2008 - 11:54 PM

That's the whole point, they may be more than falling down.

If she is feeding well, then could go again at two week intervals. Make certain feeds got good vitamins otherwise hatchability will decline and cretinism of larvae will increase after repeated spawning bouts.

Are you going to feed them baby brine shrimp?

Like I said my parents don't want me having bottles of brine shrimp in the house, so that's not an option for me.
Is there an alternative that can be raised outdoors (daphnia, cyclops, etc)?

#10 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2008 - 07:26 AM

Like I said my parents don't want me having bottles of brine shrimp in the house, so that's not an option for me.
Is there an alternative that can be raised outdoors (daphnia, cyclops, etc)?

A mixed culture including cladocerans / water fleas (examples are Daphnia spp. but other smaller species likley better) and copepods / cyclops will work although harvested food will vary greatly in terms of quantity and quality. Best to go with more than one culture in parallel. Brine shimp could be reared outdoors during summer if you keep out of direct sun. Shrimp farmers do it all the time.

#11 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2008 - 08:36 AM

A mixed culture including cladocerans / water fleas (examples are Daphnia spp. but other smaller species likley better) and copepods / cyclops will work although harvested food will vary greatly in terms of quantity and quality. Best to go with more than one culture in parallel. Brine shimp could be reared outdoors during summer if you keep out of direct sun. Shrimp farmers do it all the time.

Ok.
For the brine shrimp, do you mean like having a breeding culture, or just hatching them outdoors?

-Steve

#12 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2008 - 08:45 AM

Ok.
For the brine shrimp, do you mean like having a breeding culture, or just hatching them outdoors?

-Steve

Just hatching.

A week on baby brine shrimp and your sunfish larvae / fry will be able to handle the larger zooplankton you can culture in your greenwater tanks.

#13 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2008 - 08:57 AM

Just hatching.

A week on baby brine shrimp and your sunfish larvae / fry will be able to handle the larger zooplankton you can culture in your greenwater tanks.

Thanks. Hopefully a few will survive out of this batch. Not sure how this one will turn out though, since I have nowhere to move the babies or other fish in the tank. I really wasn't prepared for them to breed so quickly.

#14 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2008 - 09:02 AM

Thanks. Hopefully a few will survive out of this batch. Not sure how this one will turn out though, since I have nowhere to move the babies or other fish in the tank. I really wasn't prepared for them to breed so quickly.

I advise you attempt to rear only a hundred or so. Get rid of the rest before they swimmup. Will improve food availability for those to be grown out.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users