Quick trip through Tn and KY

64 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2008 - 09:48 PM

What's the saying, Fritz... "Age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability"? :) lol! I look forward to a picture of the results!

We did not shock at every site, especially 7 (snorkel only) and 21 and 22. At 21, the Nature Conservancy was filming a segment on the aquatic diversity in that river, esp the mussels, to be shown in chain motels in the area. They were quite excited to see the cool fish that we got there. We only worked (seined) from the dam down towards the launch area.

Ahhh... So that's 21. Okay. I was curious where the heck you would get aquali and NOT get rufilineatum, but that explains a lot. Boy, you hit the Big 2 fer mussel beds. I think that would just be too much for me on a single trip! ;)

Now are they expecting that to become the next Gideon Bible or something? I mean, I'd convert if that were the case :)

Todd

#22 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2008 - 08:25 PM

What's the saying, Fritz... "Age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability"? :) lol! I look forward to a picture of the results!
Ahhh... So that's 21. Okay. I was curious where the heck you would get aquali and NOT get rufilineatum, but that explains a lot. Boy, you hit the Big 2 fer mussel beds. I think that would just be too much for me on a single trip! ;)

Now are they expecting that to become the next Gideon Bible or something? I mean, I'd convert if that were the case :)

Todd

So are you saying that I am treacherous and unable? Shame! I know that I have the age thing going for me though. :D

Its too bad that the videographers quit filming us (actually not me since the current was too strong and I stood on shore pointing to Dave, Dustin and Uland) catching the aquali. That was some serious dedicated sampling that many people don't/won't do.

Not sure if we can add the beluga whales to our total list that we saw at 22. Whew! There are some young and obese young people out there. But mostly harmless since they are missing so many teeth. And at 23 there was this great brother and sister combo who visited us. I sure did love the way she talked.

#23 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2008 - 09:20 PM

I managed to get a couple of photos of the kids at that site, along with Dustin taking a few photos and you in the background. They had some pretty interesting questions. Good kids.

Posted Image

#24 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2008 - 03:48 PM

I'm working on the photos and will post them as they are available. Man...you can't beat the Gilt darter!
Posted Image

#25 Guest_TomNear_*

Guest_TomNear_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2008 - 05:23 PM

Is site 11, South Fork Kentucky River near Oneida in Clay Co., Ky?

#26 Guest_blakemarkwell_*

Guest_blakemarkwell_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2008 - 08:10 PM

Wow! Fantastic photo!

Blake

#27 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2008 - 08:28 PM

Is site 11, South Fork Kentucky River near Oneida in Clay Co., Ky?

Middle Fork KY River

#28 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2008 - 11:11 AM

Sorry for the delay. I'm finally getting some of the photos done.
Erimystax insignis Blotched Chub
Posted Image
Etheostoma baileyi Emerald Darter
Posted Image
Etheostoma cinereum Ashy Darter
Posted Image
Etheostoma denoncourti Golden Darter
Posted Image
Etheostoma sagitta sagitta Cumberland Arrow Darter
Posted Image
Posted Image
Etheostoma sanguifluum Bloodfin Darter
Posted Image
Hybopsis amblops Bigeye Chub
Posted Image

#29 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2008 - 11:12 AM

Ichthyomyzon bdellium Ohio Lamprey
Posted Image
Posted Image
Lepomis auritus Redbreast Sunfish
Posted Image
Lythrurus lirus Mountain Shiner
Posted Image
Posted Image
Notropis leuciodus Tennessee Shiner
Posted Image
Notropis spectrunculus Mirror Shiner
Posted Image
Percina williamsi Sickle Darter
Posted Image
Semotilus atromaculatus Creek Chub
Posted Image

Names are part of the file name and they are located in the gallery as well. I have plenty more to add as soon as I get the chance.

#30 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2008 - 12:34 PM

Nice work, I especially like the Tennessee Shiner and Ashy Darter; the latter is about the best shot I've seen of the species, although in truth I haven't seen a whole lot.

#31 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2008 - 05:55 PM

That's very kind of you Bruce. I swear the fish make easy since they're sooooo pretty :happy:
Cyprinella galactura Whitetail Shiner
Posted Image
Posted Image
Cyprinella trichroistia Tricolor Shiner
Posted Image
Esox masquinongy Muskellunge
Posted Image
Etheostoma virgatum Striped Darter
Posted Image
Posted Image
Percina copelandi Channel Darter
Posted Image

#32 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2008 - 06:34 PM

And yet more good shots. The whitetail shiner is the choice on this set, that one looks as robust as they do coming out of a stream. I've always been curious to keep them in a large tank even though I shy away from high gradient species because I'm not sure I can give them a good home. It's not a flashy colorful species, but they just look cool (I think that's the scientific term).

#33 Guest_Casper Cox_*

Guest_Casper Cox_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2008 - 07:04 PM

Exquisite, stunning, beautiful.

Ive never seen some of these fish before.
:)
I like those closeups featuring pearlescent facial detailings.

Those Whitetail males are fun to watch sparring and displaying. A nice fish agreeing with bruce. They are hardy Dr. Bruce and found in a variety of habitats, even lakes. A flowing 55 would do fine for a few adults if you keep it coolish.

I'm a big fan of Tri-Colors. Handsome, elegant. Nice flaglike dorsal sail.

What the heck is that double pic darter under the little gar pickeral critter? Wow!

And that nice closeup 2 steps down from the redbreast sunnie?
And right underneath looks like a TN shiner a bit past the spawn flush. hum. Spot is kinda wedgie tho, not rectangular enough.

Cool ashy and arrow pics. That ashy is a fine looking specimen. Must be a female with that red lipstick!.

You like those guady gilts eh? They can really range in coloration it seems. Sometimes they are gaudy and other times like gilded goldleaf. Ive seen swarms of them.

Good Job! Did you get some snorkeling satisfaction. I would like to hear more stories about the trip.

Casper

#34 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2008 - 07:19 PM

Oh man that barcheek is to die for, dude! Wow!!!

The lythrurus shiner in 12:12... Is that lirus (mountain shiner)?

Is the 6:55 "johnny" susannae (Cumberland darter)?

"No susannae, no we did not catch that fish.
But we got an arrow darter and a couple Notropis."

As always Uland... Beautiful work. Man.

Todd

#35 Guest_Casper Cox_*

Guest_Casper Cox_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2008 - 07:35 PM

Uland sent me this link...

http
://gallery.nanfa.org/v/members/Uland/K...ennessee+2008/

Thats a great way to view the pictures. You can select the image size and do a timed fade slideshow and it includes the names, both common and latin. Good option commands.
Very nice. Well done.

So that is a TN Shiner. I'm getting better! The picture is so "closeup" you can see details so much better than in the field. The caudal spot is a bit flared and wedgie. It always looks clean and rectangular in the field to my eye.

And the pearlescent facial close up is the Mountain Shiner! I cant say ive seen all that pearlescence in the field but ive seen plenty with the top of their heads glowing blue white. I see those tubercules! They school like clouds in the sky.

Striated eh? Im gonna have to track one day and swim with his kind.
Channel darters. Big South Fork i bet. They use to be so common over many ranges and now only in isolated sites. I remember them traveling like a small herd at leatherwood ford.

And the gar/pickeral thing is a baby muski.
nifty.
:)

#36 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2008 - 07:37 PM

Sorry for the delay in getting the tags up guys. I have a fast connection for uploads and then my "home connection" :rolleyes:
I uploaded as many as I could and then got home to add text.

I can't take all of the credit for these photos since by golly, I was with the friendliest and hardest working guys there are. I learned so much and am greatly indebted to the guys for helping me with photos and giving me time needed to take so many. They did more than I. Heck, I just sat back and snapped the shutter.

#37 Guest_blakemarkwell_*

Guest_blakemarkwell_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2008 - 08:23 PM

Woah! That Whitetail Shiner is about the best thing I have ever seen. Great shots Uland, of course with fish that pretty its hard to have a bad picture. Great trip and great photos!

Blake

#38 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2008 - 09:29 PM

Channel darters. Big South Fork i bet. They use to be so common over many ranges and now only in isolated sites. I remember them traveling like a small herd at leatherwood ford.

D'oh... I got my hopes up too high and was blinded with greed for a new species picture :)

"No susannae, we still ain't seen that fish...
But we saw one sexy striatulum, and Casper called out leuciodus."

Thanks for the work you've put into this! I know it takes a lot of time.

Todd

#39 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2008 - 10:55 PM

Lots of neat fish we don't get in Mississippi. Thanks for the pics!

#40 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2008 - 06:40 AM

D'oh... I got my hopes up too high and was blinded with greed for a new species picture :)

"No susannae, we still ain't seen that fish...
But we saw one sexy striatulum, and Casper called out leuciodus."

Thanks for the work you've put into this! I know it takes a lot of time.

Todd

Actually, the "striatulum" is a virgatum. We did get striatulum, but not in that kind of color.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users