Algae control

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_pmk00001_*

Guest_pmk00001_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2008 - 05:36 PM

Interesting site. I have a few thoughts on their process:
The "mineralized" soil mix is essentially soil with natural mineral fertilizers put into it. Clay is a component of soil, as are silt, sand, and organic materials. If you go and dig in your back yard below the A horizon (often called topsoil), you will hit a clay layer. In some areas, e.g. the southeast, the clay layer is at the surface (topsoil has been eroded away). This is fine to use in the tank. No need to buy expensive pottery clay.

The main difference between that soil mix and what I like is that I increase the large organic matter in the soil whereas they remove it. As leaves and other organic debris break down, they release CO2 and can actually sequester nitrogen during the decomposition process. And it leaves behind material with a great CEC.

(Also of note - this type of "mineralized" soil, in which minerals are added, is different nitrogen mineralization - whereby organic nitrogen like protein is converted to inorganic forms like ammonium and nitrate.)

(Second also of note - algae discussion is very good; however, there are many other algae that cause green water, not just Euglena.)

I see the soil article as kind of a middle ground between the high tech/low tech people, if nothing else it's nice to see some high tech people doing something besides going out and buying the be all end all latest substrate from East Asia :grin:

Tis a nice basic algae overview.

#22 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2008 - 06:26 PM

Newt, I didn't see any photos from the finished setup in that thread. What kind of fauna do you have, and can you post some pics of the finished product?

I'm going to update that thread in the next day or two. It currently is home to physid snails, fathead minnows, and golden shiners, and I just today got some juvenile warmouth and red-spotted sunfish from Brian Zimmerman (smbass). I added a bunch of scuds and cladocerans when I was first setting the tank up, but I have not seen any sign of them since I turned the filters on; I hope they are merely laying low in the interstices. I may add another dose of scuds to filter chamber.

#23 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2008 - 04:23 PM

Also, there's a photo thread here: http://forum.nanfa.o...?showtopic=4334

#24 Guest_benmor78_*

Guest_benmor78_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2008 - 05:48 PM

Pretty neat, Newt. Looks like a lot of fun to put together.

Also, there's a photo thread here: http://forum.nanfa.o...?showtopic=4334

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users