Susquehanna River, Lancaster County PA 6/22/2008

2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_dmarkley_*

Guest_dmarkley_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2008 - 08:03 PM

Ok, let's see if I can do this with pics and all.....

Early Sunday morning, June 22. I thought I'd do some quick fishing for smallmouths on the Susquehanna River just north of Marietta. The water here is usually good habitat for bass and easy to fish when wading. Of course I also took along my Dip net, just in case....

And please forgive the picture quality. They were taken with an iPhone and I am stilling figuring it out!

First a view of the river:

Posted Image

In the background is the river proper and the foreground shows one of many vernal (is that correct) pools that form as the water level drops. Here is a larger pool still barely open to the river:

Posted Image

Well, the fishing was crappy (no pun intended) so I thought I'd see what I could get (hoping for some blacknosed dace for a NANFA member). That was not to be but there were SNAILS. Billions and billions of snails:

Posted Image

Can anyone tell me what they are? Here is the typical habitat:

Posted Image

and
Posted Image

And finally, there were tadpoles (toadpoles?). I did get about a dozen of these for my garden pond. Note the small fry minnows too. I bet no one can ID the minnows!

Posted Image

So that's it. A few snails and tadpoles collected. No bass. A sweaty body and muddy feet. Is this a good life or what?

Dean

#2 Guest_Gambusia_*

Guest_Gambusia_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2008 - 08:09 PM

Nice pictures and thanks for sharing

Maybe the bass will bite better next time

#3 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2008 - 10:46 AM

Cool stuff. The snails are pleurocerids (AKA periwinkles or pennywinkles); they're a big family and I don't know how to ID the various genera and species. The tadpoles appear to be bullfrogs (Lithobates catesbeianus); when they're young they have some nice gold flecking on them.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users