Minnows with tails turning white

22 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2008 - 11:11 AM

I recently collect a few minnows and this morning I noticed that their tales are turnning white. I've never see before, anyone have any thoughts???

#2 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2008 - 11:59 AM

It's fin rot and happens a lot with newly collected fish. I'd add 2 tbps of non-iodized salt per 5 gallons and pima/melafix (can't remember which). If you catch it early enough, some will make it through but more than likely they will die.

(Please make your subject line more descriptive in the future. I've taken the liberty of doing so this time.)

#3 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2008 - 12:29 PM

Thanks for the input. I'd never seen this in all the tropical fish I've had and was unfamiliar with it.

#4 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2008 - 12:38 PM

It seems to me there are different types of "fin rot" and that different species are more senstive than others.
I have often seen a bit of white slime on the tails of certain freshly collected fish. Banded killifish frequently get it.
This seems to be a response to capture stress and will clear up on it's own IF [big if] the fish are held in a good clean tank with low stress until they acclimate.
True fin rot is much more persistent and I agree that prognosis is often bad. High stress, poor husbandry and underlying diseases seem to cause the fatal variety.

#5 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2008 - 12:49 PM

The odd part is that it's not just the fin, but the whole back tail portion is turning white.

#6 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2008 - 01:14 PM

They're deaders. Handling stress will do this sometimes, and some fishes are more susceptible than others. A number of members put salt or some chemical gook in their transport water to prevent this.

#7 Guest_jase_*

Guest_jase_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2008 - 01:39 PM

They're deaders. Handling stress will do this sometimes, and some fishes are more susceptible than others. A number of members put salt or some chemical gook in their transport water to prevent this.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with Irate's standard prognosis this time. Once the white progresses from the fin into the actual tail flesh, recovery is unlikely. Many minnows are pretty sensitive, and need *really* clean water.

#8 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2008 - 01:51 PM

Unfortunately, I have to agree with Irate's standard prognosis this time.

This time? Aren't I always right about this? ALWAYS!! The majority of members polled agree that this is true.

Ah, when will youse guys learn?

#9 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2008 - 02:10 PM

Thanks guys for your help, I'll get them out of the tank today..I'll be out of town over the weekend and I don't want them dead in there all weekend.

#10 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2008 - 02:14 PM

In fact, I've found it to be in good practice to keep your tanks with some salt in them. At the store that I work at, our exhibits maintain a 3 parts per thousand salinity level. When we are treating for things like fin rot we'll increase the salt dose to 5 parts per thousand (but you only want levels up that high for a week at a time).

#11 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2008 - 02:19 PM

Yeah, spreading to flesh = the end is near.
For really expensive or highly cherished fish, you can try salt or other medicines. Prolly won't help but it'll make you feel better.
For really common fish, humane euthanasia is indicated.

#12 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2008 - 02:20 PM

In my past tropical aquariums I normally kept a small amount of salt in them. I never thought that a native fish tank would need the same.

I didn't expect my minnows to only last a few days. All this happened over night. What do you guys normally do to reduce stress while transporting?

#13 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2008 - 02:33 PM

For really common fish, humane euthanasia is indicated.

Yeah, whack the suckers! In a paper bag. Against the wall. For true.

#14 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2008 - 03:06 PM

Yeah, whack the suckers! In a paper bag. Against the wall. For true.

Yeah! that sounds like a good idea....but, maybe I'll put them in the freezer instead

#15 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2008 - 04:23 PM

That works too, just not as much fun!

#16 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2008 - 05:33 PM

In my past tropical aquariums I normally kept a small amount of salt in them. I never thought that a native fish tank would need the same.

I didn't expect my minnows to only last a few days. All this happened over night. What do you guys normally do to reduce stress while transporting?

One thing to consider is the weather. If it's as hot where you are as it has been here, just the heat alone can be too stressful.
Over crowding in the bucket is bad.
Rough handling at capture can lead to problems down the road. Personally, I prefer dipnets to seines because I feel the fish get knocked around and lose more scales in the seines. I'm in the minority there though.
The conditions in the tank the new fish go into is critical. You said your tank is new, right? Maybe not cycled long enough?
Acclimation is key for new captives. I use a slow drip to bring the water in the bucket to the same condition as the tank. For really sensitive species or when making a big temperature change, my slow drip might take 24 hours or more.
Don't get discouraged if your first captives don't work out. That's how we learn.

#17 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2008 - 06:52 PM

If I'm very close to home, I usually do nothing but when I remember, I add a tablespoon or two of pure salt.
I also never really take fish home in the heat of summer since my failure rate was unacceptable. I think when you collect is the most important factor in health but I'm a big believer in salt.

#18 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2008 - 10:27 PM

I'm in the minority there though.

I'm with you on this one. Besides, most places I go aren't seine-friendly. And hauling a seine is a lot like work.

#19 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2008 - 07:55 AM

What is the best item to transport the fish you've caught....is there a thread about this already?

#20 Guest_jase_*

Guest_jase_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2008 - 08:18 AM

What is the best item to transport the fish you've caught....is there a thread about this already?

I think most people use coolers. I'm pretty sure there are threads on it, or at the very least a lot of discussion on the old nanfa-l list. Check http://www.nanfa.org...aug06/0064.html (and keep hitting next message to see replies). There's a very detailed reply by Bob Sinclair.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users