southern ohio weekend

4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_midge_*

Guest_midge_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2008 - 01:35 PM

I finally got to get out and do some seining and not just fishing this weekend. i collected in two sites, one in the upper little miami area, and the other in an undisclosed scioto basin site (though i bet some of you will know were it is). also, this was all with a 4ft seine, so we missed alot of what was there, it was a good weekend for fish though.

site one:
grass pickeral
creek chub
blacknose dace
sculpin
fantail darter
rainbow darter
greenside darter
steelcolor shiner
spotfin shiner
spotted bass
smallmouth bass
bluegill
longear sundish
green sunfish
striped shiner
stoneroller

site 2:
banded darter
rainbow darter
variegate darter
greenside darter
spotted darter
bluebreast darter
tippecanoe darter
1 lost orangethroat darter
dusky darter
stonecats
5 1in flatheads
sand or mimic shiners, i think sands
spotfin shiner
spotted bass
smallmouth bass
rockbass
longears
stonerollers
rosyface shiners

i think that is all of them, also saw lots of gar and buffalo and other non seinable fishes, looked hard for madtoms but could not find any sadly. the tiny flatheas were somthing i had never seen, very cool.

#2 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2008 - 08:33 PM

Did you get the flatheads from a riffle? I was in an unnamed trib of the Scioto about this time of year a couple years back and had a little bit o' excitement when I caught these little catfish with a clear margin all the way 'round their posterior up in this particular riffle :)

Todd

#3 Guest_midge_*

Guest_midge_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2008 - 09:37 PM

i may have been in the same riffle :tongue: , there were several in the riffle as well as some in the root wads were i was looking for brindled's. i had noticed in the past that small flattie have the white tails, had i not i probably would have thought they were somthing a little less common.

#4 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2008 - 10:16 PM

Were you by the bridge, or did you go down 'round the corner? What's the riffle development getting like in both places, if you looked at both? Has the stream excavated the smaller substrates that blew down in 2005?

Man, I haven't been down since the fall of 2005. That's gonna change this fall tho and now that all this danged water is out of the streams. Third year in a row that we couldn't really get in until August. Sheesh. But it's high time to fire up this darter project and get hunting some Nothonotus in the Flushing Escarpment :)

Todd

#5 Guest_midge_*

Guest_midge_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2008 - 11:19 PM

we were just at the bridge, most of the substrate is pretty large unfortunatly I havnt been there before this year so I cannot compare it to what it was.
also figured i'd add another short evening trip to this, hit an area in the lower little miami for some gar fishing and brought along the seine. most of the normal stuff but got my second gravel chub, also found out that the catfishes had good spawns this year. got atleast a dozen YOY mountain madtoms, some channel cats, flatties, and a yellow bullhead, all YOY's, and somehow managed no stonecats or adults despite trying (this may be due to my tiny net). oh and got some longnose on the rope flies!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users