Time zone

7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2006 - 02:21 AM

If this is a North American Native fishes forum, why are all of the forum times in GMT? :-s

#2 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2006 - 12:03 PM

If this is a North American Native fishes forum, why are all of the forum times in GMT? :-s

The software is written based on GMT. In your profile, you can specify how many hours shifted you are from GMT. Here in the eastern time zone you want GMT-5 hours. Adjust for other time zones appropriately.

My only complaint is that it does not seem to account for daylight savings time. I guess in a way I sympathize with that, since I hate the very concept of daylight savings time. But anyway, you have to change the time differential in your profile when you shift from standard to daylight savings time, and vice versa (if you want everything to be displayed in the correct local time).

#3 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2006 - 01:01 PM

It is common practice to use GMT time. If enough people feel that this should be changed I'd be happy to change it to EST where the server is actually located.

#4 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2006 - 01:10 PM

It is common practice to use GMT time. If enough people feel that this should be changed I'd be happy to change it to EST where the server is actually located.

Would that force everyone to change their time zone information in their profiles? If that is the case, better to leave well enough alone (IMHO). Unless you can make it adjust to daylight savings time and back to standard time, it would also be a waste because we will still be adjusting our time zone preferences accordingly when those time shifts occur.

#5 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2006 - 01:19 PM

Unfortunately the developers of this software don't support DST for some reason. If I find a simple modification to the software, I may make the changes but until then I will probably keep it as it is.

#6 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2006 - 01:42 AM

The software is written based on GMT. In your profile, you can specify how many hours shifted you are from GMT. Here in the eastern time zone you want GMT-5 hours. Adjust for other time zones appropriately.

My only complaint is that it does not seem to account for daylight savings time. I guess in a way I sympathize with that, since I hate the very concept of daylight savings time. But anyway, you have to change the time differential in your profile when you shift from standard to daylight savings time, and vice versa (if you want everything to be displayed in the correct local time).

edbihary,
Thanks for the info. I adjusted my profile and now everything looks right! Thanks again!

#7 Guest_hmt321_*

Guest_hmt321_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2006 - 09:47 AM

I vote for leaving it alone,

I had a hard time figuring out the time adjustment, I had to take off BOTH my shoes and socks so i could count that high.

#8 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2006 - 12:38 PM

I vote for leaving it alone,

I had a hard time figuring out the time adjustment, I had to take off BOTH my shoes and socks so i could count that high.

You must have some missing fingers and toes. To Central Time at your location in Alabama, GMT - 6 hours. You only needed to count to six. You should have been able to do that with your fingers only.

On a serious note, though, I agree that it should be left alone.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users