Salt with Vals...

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_andyavram_*

Guest_andyavram_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2008 - 10:03 AM

I have read salt is good to help fishes slime coats and also good to kill off your plants. I have Vals and for some reason thought they are more salt tolerant, so can I add a bit of salt to this tank or will my Vals die?

Thanks,

Andy

#2 Guest_topminnow_*

Guest_topminnow_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2008 - 10:42 AM

There’s no need for the addition of kosher type salt in a planted aquarium if your fish are healthy and thriving. However, your Vallisneria will not die if you decide to add salt. Of course this depends on the amount of salt you want to add and how robust your plants are.

#3 Guest_uniseine_*

Guest_uniseine_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2008 - 10:53 AM

I like to say

"Fish live where the competition is the least, not were the water is the best."

Which means that the best water conditions for a particular fish's health in a tank do not necessarily match the water conditions of where the fish were caught.

Kind of like the recommendation for humans to take 80 mg of aspirin per day. Humans don't live with the same kinds of physical competition as we used to.

Second example: Fertilizer for Venus Flytraps.
Sure, a Venus Flytrap would like some fertilizer,
but if I fertilized the area where Venus Flytraps are found in the wild,
I would be helping the competition more than the Venus Flytraps.

As far as why some salt is easier on the fish
or
how much salt can Val take,
someone else will need to answer.

Edited by uniseine, 06 August 2008 - 10:57 AM.

#4 Guest_topminnow_*

Guest_topminnow_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2008 - 11:25 AM

how much salt can Val take,
someone else will need to answer.

Vallisneria is reputed to do well in 1.008 specific gravity, but this depends on substrate and nutrient availability.

#5 Guest_andyavram_*

Guest_andyavram_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2008 - 11:45 AM

A little confused with your reply Unisene but to clarify I just started collecting a few days ago and two of the fish got a little beat up in the bucket and both happen to be the same kind of fish - Redside Dace. I was going to add soem salt during initial stocking gof the tank.

Thanks,

Andy

#6 Guest_topminnow_*

Guest_topminnow_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2008 - 12:25 PM

I just started collecting a few days ago and two of the fish got a little beat up in the bucket and both happen to be the same kind of fish - Redside Dace. I was going to add soem salt during initial stocking gof the tank.

You should set up a quarantine tank.

Edited by topminnow, 06 August 2008 - 12:26 PM.

#7 Guest_uniseine_*

Guest_uniseine_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2008 - 12:26 PM

Just because a fish is doing well in its present tank,
or comes from an area with little salt in the water,
does not mean the fish won't do better with some salt added to the water.

I think that most fish do better with some salt added to the water.

#8 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2008 - 12:52 PM

I use salt in my freshwater tanks. I add 1 tbsp per 5 gallons when I do water changes. Most of my tanks are also planted. I do the soil substrate slow growth method. I have some val in one of my tanks and it's growing and spreading like a weed. Whether the salt is really necessary, I don't know. I rarely have fungus when a fish gets injured.

#9 Guest_jimjim_*

Guest_jimjim_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2008 - 05:16 PM

Andy: Vals will take a lot more salt than most. In fact most of the Valisneria species will (contrary to popular belief). However, my question is why? Have you checked your water parameters in your area? Most waters do have some salt. Before adding anything I'd check with your local water supplier first and get a water report from them. But I'd like to make a statement here, "If it ain't broke DON'T fix it". If your water is reasonably clean and your fish are doing fine more than likely you'll do more harm than good when you go mucking about with it. Our tanks are little ecosystems by themselves and don't have the healing power Mother has when she has millions of acres to work with. There are Phds who do and have done more harm sometimes to your local waterways than a lot of aquarists and I certanly don't have the edjimacation :rolleyes: they do. Just keep you tank clean and unless theres a sign of disease, just enjoy it....Jim

#10 Guest_pmk00001_*

Guest_pmk00001_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2008 - 05:39 PM

I put salt in one of tanks that has a lot of Vals and the vals do fine. I think it also helps keep the fish healthy. I put it into my large community tank as I've got some mummichogs in it but all the fish seem to really thrive in the tank. Never have any trouble with infections.

#11 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2008 - 11:23 AM

Second example: Fertilizer for Venus Flytraps.
Sure, a Venus Flytrap would like some fertilizer,
but if I fertilized the area where Venus Flytraps are found in the wild,
I would be helping the competition more than the Venus Flytraps.

Errr, I understand the point that was being made here, but I would like to clarify that Venus fly traps do not do well with fertilizers. They burn very easily. Also of interest - if pitcher plants are grown in a media that does not have low nutrients (or are fertilized), they will cease to produce pitchers, and only produce phylloida.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users