Collecting in Connecticut

5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Deeseven_*

Guest_Deeseven_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2008 - 03:55 PM

hello all! As you might have noticed I just signed onto the forum, I've been keeping fish for a good 20 years now..but never did a native tank.....SO I have a 45 gallon tank and looking to fill it up..but I don't want to buy fish nothing personal with the vendors here I just believe collecting your own fish is half the fun...So on that note....Anyone know any good collection sites in connecticut? I'm in the hartford area incase anyone was curious..thanks

Dan

#2 Guest_Jeff_*

Guest_Jeff_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2008 - 01:56 PM

Hi Dan,

My name is Jeff, I live in CT (east of Hartford) and I'm also new to this forum. So far I have only 2 fish in my aquarium at home which I just set up recently. My wife loves to fish and she caught the fish while fly-fishing about 2 weeks ago.

If you are not an angler (I am not one myself) and you want to collect fish by some other means such as netting, then the laws of CT need to be looked into. I don't know what they are. And I don't even know where to look to find them to be honest. I know this isn't a whole lot of info to aid in your search, but maybe someone will see this and at least point us in the right direction.

??

Jeff

#3 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 12 September 2008 - 04:11 PM

If you are not an angler (I am not one myself) and you want to collect fish by some other means such as netting, then the laws of CT need to be looked into. I don't know what they are. And I don't even know where to look to find them to be honest. I know this isn't a whole lot of info to aid in your search, but maybe someone will see this and at least point us in the right direction.

Here is a link to some of the fishing regulations definitions... and based on those, it looks like you could have a rather nice aquarium with just a fishing license and collecitng some bait...

Bait Species- Common Shiner, golden shiner, fallfish, creek chub, spottail shiner, bridle shiner, blacknose dace, longnose dace, pearl dace, bluntnose minnow, fathead minnow, cutlips minnow, chub sucker, white sucker, killifish, mummichog, Atlantic & tidewater silderside, sand lance, frogs (except northern leopard frog), crayfish, perch bugs, hellgrammites and mayfly nymphs.

There are also links on this page to the rest of the fishing regulations.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#4 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2008 - 04:27 PM

The Connecticut river's many tributaries hold all kinds of cool fish.
You have to start doing your research so you can narrow down what you're interested in. Ponds? Swamps? Fast streams? Brackish? Saltwater? That will help you start to pick specific species you're interested in.
I agree the thrill of the hunt is half the fun [although we have some top notch vendors here]. For me, doing the research is half the fun of the hunt.
To start, get the Freshwater Fishes of Connecticut by Walter Whitworth. It should be available through the DEP State Geological and Natural History Survey. It's not chock full of info and the drawings aren't very useful but every recorded species from the state is listed with some minimal location data.
Also, I strongly recommend Inland Fishes Of Massachusetts by Karsten Hartel et al from the Massachusetts Audubon Society. This book is packed with natural history data and has excellent drawings and some so so photographs. Obviously there will be some differeneces in species but the majority overlap. Once you pick some species of interest from the Connecticut book, you can study up on the natural history in the Mass book.
Obviously Google will get you lots of info and this forum is an excellent resource as well.

#5 Guest_Jeff_*

Guest_Jeff_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2008 - 06:57 PM

Here is a link to some of the fishing regulations definitions... and based on those, it looks like you could have a rather nice aquarium with just a fishing license and collecitng some bait...

Bait Species- Common Shiner, golden shiner, fallfish, creek chub, spottail shiner, bridle shiner, blacknose dace, longnose dace, pearl dace, bluntnose minnow, fathead minnow, cutlips minnow, chub sucker, white sucker, killifish, mummichog, Atlantic & tidewater silderside, sand lance, frogs (except northern leopard frog), crayfish, perch bugs, hellgrammites and mayfly nymphs.

There are also links on this page to the rest of the fishing regulations.

Thanks Michael. I continue to peruse this site, and I think I found where you got this info to share with us new guys. Thanks for the repy and Dan if you're still here, check this out....

http://www.ct.gov/de...depNav_GID=1630

#6 Guest_Jeff_*

Guest_Jeff_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2008 - 06:59 PM

The Connecticut river's many tributaries hold all kinds of cool fish.
You have to start doing your research so you can narrow down what you're interested in. Ponds? Swamps? Fast streams? Brackish? Saltwater? That will help you start to pick specific species you're interested in.
I agree the thrill of the hunt is half the fun [although we have some top notch vendors here]. For me, doing the research is half the fun of the hunt.
To start, get the Freshwater Fishes of Connecticut by Walter Whitworth. It should be available through the DEP State Geological and Natural History Survey. It's not chock full of info and the drawings aren't very useful but every recorded species from the state is listed with some minimal location data.
Also, I strongly recommend Inland Fishes Of Massachusetts by Karsten Hartel et al from the Massachusetts Audubon Society. This book is packed with natural history data and has excellent drawings and some so so photographs. Obviously there will be some differeneces in species but the majority overlap. Once you pick some species of interest from the Connecticut book, you can study up on the natural history in the Mass book.
Obviously Google will get you lots of info and this forum is an excellent resource as well.

Thanks Mike.

I'm gonna look for those books.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users