New Yorkers Unite

51 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2006 - 03:31 PM

So far there have been quite a few people on this forum who live in New York or in states near there. Rather than use the previous thread to come together (wanted: cyprinids/darters) I decided to start a seperate one.

#2 Guest_troutperch beeman_*

Guest_troutperch beeman_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2006 - 03:46 PM

Sounds good, Where's the greensided :wink: :P :P

#3 Guest_troutperch beeman_*

• Guests

Posted 09 November 2006 - 04:20 PM

To answer you from the other thread, Yes I know John and ShellyEmpire Aquatics) very well. They sometimes buy africain fry from me. I also went to Morrisville for 1 semester about 10 years ago, but that didn't last to long, was young and liked to party to much :D .

#4 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2006 - 05:06 PM

To answer you from the other thread, Yes I know John and ShellyEmpire Aquatics) very well. They sometimes buy africain fry from me. I also went to Morrisville for 1 semester about 10 years ago, but that didn't last to long, was young and liked to party to much :D .

I was an aquaculture major over at Morrisville.
As for the greensides, I cannot remember the exact location, just the general area. I'll have to contact someone I know for the spot.

In the meantime, check out this map for greenside locations.

Posted Image
Picture from http://fish.dnr.edu/nyfish

#5 Guest_troutperch beeman_*

• Guests

Posted 10 November 2006 - 06:53 AM

I have scouted Oriskiny creek for possible collection sight but have not had a chance to get back yet. Oriskiny creek is that lone dot in the CNY area of that map. I also have that map it's from The Inland Fishes of NY. that book is very useful I have caught several spieces from locations listed in that book.

#6 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2006 - 12:04 AM

The place is called Dean’s Creek and it's near Westmoreland. My contact told me they are probably in Oriskany as well. I'll have to go looking for some this summer now that I know the place again.

#7 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2006 - 09:30 PM

I find them pretty easily in Schoharie Creek (line of dots to the east on the map) if you can make it up to Schenectady anytime let me know.
Mike Lucas

#8 Guest_troutperch beeman_*

• Guests

Posted 13 November 2006 - 07:15 PM

Do you know where I can get red belly dace in CNY? I have seen them on aquabid, are they from you Mike? The Inland Fishes book says they are in Nine Mile creek coming out of Otisco Lake but I have yet to get down there. I have a hard time getting my wife and kids to go collecting this time of year.
Herschel

#9 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2006 - 10:09 PM

I have never seen a redbelly dace, not a live one anyway.

BTW, I also have the inland fishes book, excellent book. A must for any NY collecter or fish enthusiast.

#10 Guest_troutperch beeman_*

• Guests

Posted 14 November 2006 - 08:09 AM

I'm thinking of going to Jamesville tomorrow morning to get some bluespotted sunfish to bring to the CNYAS meeting. Anyone interested?

#11 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2006 - 01:08 AM

Yes I've had Northern Redbellies on aquabid in the past. Recently found them in a local creek south of Schenectady which saves me a couple ,three hours drive to the Adirondacks. Not familiar with any central NY locations.
Mike Lucas

#12 Guest_troutperch beeman_*

• Guests

Posted 15 November 2006 - 03:42 PM

Went out today several locations. Caught tons of banded killies, young bluegill, bluntnose minnows, several young bullheads, several brook sticklebacks,3 bluespotted sunfish,1 young largemouth, and 1 mudminnow. Collected in a new spot, a ditch not far from my house got the mudminnow on the first scoop then nothing. Pretty neat two catch fish out of a ditch. My son had fun throwing all the bluegills and pollywogs back, all in all a nice day.

#13 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2006 - 09:22 PM

Sounds like fun, I have never found a fish in the ditches around here.

#14 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2006 - 10:21 AM

I don't see much uniting going on in here. :x

#15 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2006 - 11:01 AM

I'm in the Rochester/Finger Lakes area till Tues am then in NW PA tuesday if any locals have some time. Water in the Rochester/finger lakes is really high though. Be back in Schenectady Wed am and am off that day as well. Soon the weather will make collecting somewhat less productive and chilly.
Mike Lucas

#16 Guest_terrapin83_*

Guest_terrapin83_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2006 - 09:24 PM

hey syracuse here, and i have a question. How long into the winter can one collect? Do any of you guys collect in November/December? Anyone frequent Jamesville Reservoir for blue-spotted sunfish? I've never collected there (or many other places for that matter).

#17 Guest_terrapin83_*

Guest_terrapin83_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2006 - 09:27 PM

haha I just saw that someone was already in Jamesville recently. Sorry I missed that. Also, what is this Empire Aquatics, and what do they sell? I think I started this whole new york thing with the "wanted:cyprinids/darters" and now I have to catch up LoL...

#18 Guest_troutperch beeman_*

• Guests

Posted 30 November 2006 - 07:12 AM

haha I just saw that someone was already in Jamesville recently. Sorry I missed that. Also, what is this Empire Aquatics, and what do they sell? I think I started this whole new york thing with the "wanted:cyprinids/darters" and now I have to catch up LoL...

Empire Aquatics is a large fish store in Canastota. They have a large selction of cichlids and other bread and butter fishes. They also have some nice small long finned albino bristlenose pleco's. That happened to come from my fish room :wink: . I was hoping to get out collecting again this year but I don't know if the weather is going to allow that. Spring is not hat far away..

#19 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2007 - 10:06 PM

Hey, central New Yorkers its spring! No really its spring don't let the below freezing temps and falling white stuff confuse you. I'm about 2 hrs from Syracuse, 1.45 hrs away from Chittenango, only a bit over an hr from Oriskany Creek Those are easy day trips for me. Or if you get up my way there's plenty of good spots (Greenside Darters, Northern Redbellies plus others). collected around Syracuse back in the 80's but don't have the site records anymore. One spot a fellow collector took me had small ling and large logperch. It was in a park off a lake I believe, some nice mudpuppies too I think. I have not sampled the central/ Syracuse area much so I'd be up for some exploring. Waters gonna be high and cold this weekend but spring will show eventually. Where are you guys located and what are you interested in.

western NY area isn't too far away either. I know some great areas there for Rainbow Darters, Greensides and others. Plus we've got members out that way as well only a couple hrs the other side of Syracuse.

I may get out tomorrow to a local small creek (hopefully small) just to get my boots wet.

#20 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2007 - 11:12 PM

Western NY area isn't too far away either. I know some great areas there for Rainbow Darters, Greensides and others. Plus we've got members out that way as well only a couple hrs the other side of Syracuse.

Western NY is not too far away from Western PA, either. I may be able to make it there sometime also, if Pennsylvanians are allowed to unite with the New Yorkers as well :wink:

It probably would have to be after April, though.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users