New Yorkers Unite

51 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2007 - 11:14 PM

Western NY is not too far away from Western PA, either. I may be able to make it there sometime also, if Pennsylvanians are allowed to unite with the New Yorkers as well :wink:

It probably would have to be after April, though.

I sense an invasion by the CATFISH ALLIANCE! You have been warned.

#22 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2007 - 11:40 PM

I sense an invasion by the CATFISH ALLIANCE! You have been warned.

Shhhh!!!!

#23 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2007 - 08:49 AM

You will be assimilated :twisted: Oh yeah and bring some warm weather with you [-o<

#24 Guest_troutperch beeman_*

Guest_troutperch beeman_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2007 - 07:11 PM

Who's up for getting together this weekend? Sunday??

#25 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2007 - 07:54 PM

Possably. Got a location in mind? If your down near Seneca and Cayuga lakes I would love to tag along and know of a few places.

#26 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2007 - 11:11 PM

Possably. Got a location in mind? If your down near Seneca and Cayuga lakes I would love to tag along and know of a few places.

Saturday would be best for me, Sunday I 'm pretty busy.

#27 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2007 - 01:42 PM

If Sunday is the only possibility, I could make it for the afternoon if we met around Oriskiny Creek or Dean's Creek. I could be there by 1:30 pm but would have to head home by 5 PM I have youth group Sun evening. I hope this would work, what do you think!

#28 Guest_troutperch beeman_*

• Guests

Posted 19 April 2007 - 02:23 PM

If Sunday is the only possibility, I could make it for the afternoon if we met around Oriskiny Creek or Dean's Creek. I could be there by 1:30 pm but would have to head home by 5 PM I have youth group Sun evening. I hope this would work, what do you think!

I could possible come out your way if that would be easier for you. How high are the creeks in your area? They are pretty high here, hopefully they'll drop some by this weekend. PM me your number if you'd like to work out the details.

Sandtiger if you can make it to my house or area I'll drive.

#29 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2007 - 04:41 PM

Yes that would be great. The water is very high now but by Sun should drop considerably. Some fish are questionable this time of year, but I'm pretty sure we could get some nice Greenside Darters.

#30 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2007 - 05:03 PM

I could possible come out your way if that would be easier for you. How high are the creeks in your area? They are pretty high here, hopefully they'll drop some by this weekend. PM me your number if you'd like to work out the details.

Sandtiger if you can make it to my house or area I'll drive.

I won't be able to do that. Thanks for the offer though, perhaps next time.

#31 Guest_troutperch beeman_*

• Guests

Posted 07 May 2007 - 04:08 PM

scottefontay and I are getting together Saturday 5/12 if anyone is interested.... Not quite sure where we are heading yet, open for suggestions......

#32 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2007 - 05:11 PM

scottefontay and I are getting together Saturday 5/12 if anyone is interested.... Not quite sure where we are heading yet, open for suggestions......

Scottefontay & troutperch beeman are coming to join me on Schoharie creek near Schoharie Esperance NY around 10-10:30 am Sat May 12th (tomorrow) anyone else in range care to join us?

#33 Guest_sschluet_*

Guest_sschluet_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2007 - 06:22 PM

NY NANFAns,
Folks who would like to come out to western NY are welcome to stay at my house. When warm weather hits I also have plenty of room to camp as well. Just drop me a line. I would like to plan a regional trip but have been hesitant because of the VHS regulations and the uncertainty of the legality of collecting in NYS. If folks have an interest, I would offer to have a meeting, not to collect but to discuss the status of collecting in NYS and what we as a group can do. Currently native fish enthusiasts do not have clear regulations or guidance, I would offer a cautious warning. I know someone (Hershel maybe?), contacted Dan Bishop (fisheries manager) of Region 7 DEC, in regard to whether collecting for aquariums was legal under the VHS regulations. According to the NANFA person that called, Mr. Bishop stated it was OK to do. I checked with our fisheries manager out here in western NY and he said it is prohibited and does not see a way around the regulation. I respect that and I will personally not collect any fish in NY until I hear different. Again, we previously collected fish for tanks under the guise of baitfish collection, well now there is clearly a law on the books that states "over land transport" of bait fish is prohibited. I think we need more clarity on this issue. In addition, I brought this up before that the current fishing regulations are valid through 2008, the proposed regulations in 2009 will restrict what "baitfish" are to approximately 15 species (the list is at my office, for those interested I could supply it) of "approved" baitfish that would be allowed to be collected for baitfish use. Barring VHS and everything, NY folks are only going to be able to legally collect a certain number of species in 2009. Numerous species many folks enjoy to collect and keep are not on the green list list. Prior to the VHS issue; Norm Soule and I, knowing the reduced "green list" for baitfish was coming in NY started to pursue getting some method of legal collecting for native fish hobbyist in NYS with the DEC. I met with the DEC to discuss this, again this was all before the VHS issue came up. When that came up, things were dropped because the State was busy with regulations and it has not been revisited as of yet. From the folks I met with in the NYSDEC, they had the impression that many are sympathetic to our interests while others might be dead-set against it. The idea I pitched was a "special license" could be set up for native fish hobbyist that would allow them to collect and possess X number of X species or something similar. Basically come up with a green list for the native fish hobbyist, with the possibility it could be larger than it currently is. Scientific collectors permits require reporting of species catch, location, and etc. I suggested that native fish hobbyists might be able to contribute to the knowledge of native NY fishes distribution in this manner (sort of like the herp atlas). I think if the average person applies for a scientific collectors permit it would likely get shot down as there is no affiliation with university, research, etc.. I think it would behoove native fish hobbyist in NY to sit down and come up with some proactive measures to discuss with the DEC. I really don't think we have many alterantives...

Not trying to be a dooms-day person, but I just wanted all Nye's to know what native fish enthusiasts face in NY and that from a Regional Rep aspect Norm and I have been trying to stay on top of this and look out for the Nanon's in NY. Unfortunately, at this point, all I can say is I would check with your local fisheries manager and/or Environmental Conservation Officer prior to collecting. If not, I think you are taking a risk because I can not tell you what they will say for sure.

I am extremely excited to see the new members and strong interest from CNY!!!

Again, I think a meeting to discuss this is warranted. Would people be interested in that? If anyone has any questions please ask away, if not drop me a PM.

-Scott Schlueter
Buffalo, NY

Hey, central New Yorkers its spring! No really its spring don't let the below freezing temps and falling white stuff confuse you. I'm about 2 hrs from Syracuse, 1.45 hrs away from Chittenango, only a bit over an hr from Oriskany Creek Those are easy day trips for me. Or if you get up my way there's plenty of good spots (Greenside Darters, Northern Redbellies plus others). collected around Syracuse back in the 80's but don't have the site records anymore. One spot a fellow collector took me had small ling and large logperch. It was in a park off a lake I believe, some nice mudpuppies too I think. I have not sampled the central/ Syracuse area much so I'd be up for some exploring. Waters gonna be high and cold this weekend but spring will show eventually. Where are you guys located and what are you interested in.

western NY area isn't too far away either. I know some great areas there for Rainbow Darters, Greensides and others. Plus we've got members out that way as well only a couple hrs the other side of Syracuse.

I may get out tomorrow to a local small creek (hopefully small) just to get my boots wet.

#34 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2007 - 12:38 PM

Scott,
Thanks for the update, that does seem like a great idea. It looks like currently we may have some hope heres a link www.dec.ny.gov/33072.html for "Fish Health Emergency Regulations in Response to VHS"
Summary of Fish Health Emergency Regulations
Effective March 9, 2007. Expires on: June 7, 2007.
A fish health certification report is not required for fish possessed for placement into an aquarium.

Definitions follow this portion. What is coming June 7th?

#35 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2007 - 12:45 PM

Scott,
Thanks for the update, that does seem like a great idea. It looks like currently we may have some hope heres a link www.dec.ny.gov/33072.html for "Fish Health Emergency Regulations in Response to VHS"
Summary of Fish Health Emergency Regulations
Effective March 9, 2007. Expires on: June 7, 2007.
A fish health certification report is not required for fish possessed for placement into an aquarium.

Definitions follow this portion. What is coming June 7th?

A friendly suggestion: put the http:// in front of it so that it is an active link for us to click on:
http://www.dec.ny.gov/33072.html

#36 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2007 - 07:52 PM

A friendly suggestion: put the http:// in front of it so that it is an active link for us to click on:
http://www.dec.ny.gov/33072.html

Sorry about that, I thought I had :oops:

#37 Guest_troutperch beeman_*

• Guests

Posted 18 May 2007 - 07:12 AM

That is the fist time I have seen any mention of fish for the aquarium in any DEC publication. Maybe we do have some wiggle room. I suggest we all print that and carry it with us a we collect.. I also agree that we should try to get together and come up with proposal for a special license. I'm not going to have very much free time in the near future maybe toward the end of June. Let's try to make a meeting happen.
Herschel

#38 Guest_sschluet_*

Guest_sschluet_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2007 - 03:58 PM

Again, that is under 188.2 Fish Health Inspections. The intent under this section is to address fish placed into waters of NYS. This section states that a FH certifications is not needed for fish placed in aquariums or possessed for the purposes of placing such fish in an aquarium. So the bottom line is a FHC is not needed for that activity, which precludes fish from stores and everything.

The fact in the matter is it doesn't appear to get you by the "overland transport" piece, which is a separate regulation and in this case more applicable to collecting native fish for aquaria. In my mind carrying the FH Inspection part of the document would not be worth much.

If people are interested in getting together, let's throw around some dates. Herschel mentioned the end of June, this could work for me. Would others be able to make it or have an interest?
-Scott

That is the fist time I have seen any mention of fish for the aquarium in any DEC publication. Maybe we do have some wiggle room. I suggest we all print that and carry it with us a we collect.. I also agree that we should try to get together and come up with proposal for a special license. I'm not going to have very much free time in the near future maybe toward the end of June. Let's try to make a meeting happen.
Herschel

#39 Guest_sschluet_*

Guest_sschluet_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2007 - 04:07 PM

NY Folks,
I dug up the "green list" for allowable bait collection proposed for the 2008 NYSDEC regulations. The species are as follows:

Golden shiner
Fathead minnow
Bluntnose minnow
Emerald shiner
Spottail shiner
N. Redbelly dace
Creek chub
Fallfish
Blacknose dace
Longnose dace
Common shiner
White sucker
N. hogsucker
Banded killifish
Logperch

Again, even without the VHS regulations, this species list will put a damper on fish that are legal for collections beginning next year. I think it is important for us to have discussions regarding this matter. I would like their to be opportunity for NY NANFA folks to provide comments. I will then work a letter through the chain for submission to the NYSDEC on behalf of NY NANFA folks.
-Scott

#40 Guest_terrapin83_*

Guest_terrapin83_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2007 - 04:36 PM

I haven't been active much on NANFA the past few months, but what has everyone been seeing/collecting (and judging from the above conversation about the new regulations, throwing back in the water!) in NY lately? Does anyone know of any good snorkeling spots in upstate NY? I'd love to see native fish in their natural habitat. Skaneateles lake looks like it would be great for snorkeling but I have yet to find a place where you're actually permitted into an un-cordoned water area.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users