Zooplankton net

4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Gambusia_*

Guest_Gambusia_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2008 - 02:32 PM

Anybody have any good plans for a zooplankton net?

Would like to make one to collect zooplankton out of my local lakes

Thanks

#2 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2008 - 03:03 PM

What sort of scale are you thinking about? Here is a typical plankton net: http://www.bioquip.c...sp?itemnum=4290

The company that sells it also sells the mesh alone, so you could DIY it.

#3 Guest_Ouassous_*

Guest_Ouassous_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2008 - 04:56 PM

My experience is limited to Wildco's 363µm stream drift net, a stationary setup that's staked into the stream bed; I mention this only with the knowledge that floating assemblies for deeper lentic water are available for the same product. In the headwaters of the San Marcos River, I had respectable hauls of copepods, ostracods, tiny larval mayflies, chironomid larvae, and amphipods, but my target organisms -- prawn zoeae -- made up a rather meager proportion of my samples, probably due to low population densities.

My main problem was clogging with extraneous aquatic vegetation, which would probably be less troublesome in your case.

#4 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2008 - 06:28 PM

I've had good luck catching zooplankton using a paint strainer with the bottom cut off and tied to a mason jar. Top was sewn to an opened-up wire coathanger to keep the circle open. The tiny stuff gets through, but the medium/larger stuff do get caught.

#5 Guest_Gambusia_*

Guest_Gambusia_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2008 - 05:06 PM

Thanks

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users