Photo

Updated Feild Trip Info

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 aggieshark04

aggieshark04
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 28 August 2008 - 01:50 PM

I have just found out some new information about the field trips and just wanted to update everyone. All four of the field trips will be offered both Friday and Sunday with the exception of the shocking demonstration. The management crew giving the shocking demonstration just found out they have to be at the East Texas State Fair in Tyler, TX that Sunday, so the shocking demonstration will only be held on Friday. Also I will be able to have everyone under the collecting permit who signs up before September 1, however because of new permitting regulations if you plan on taking fish back you WILL be required to buy a fishing license. Those can be purchased at the Fisheries Center or at the local Wal-Mart. For anyone who wishes to attend the field trip and registers after September 1 will have to purchase a fishing license. Texas no longer offers a 3 day fishing license, so each person will have to purchase 2 one day fishing license or a regular fishing license. A one day Texas resident fishing license is $10.00, and a one day non-Texas resident fishing license is $15.00, and this only includes freshwater. Fishing license would also be required for anyone attending the buffalo fishing trip as well.

Lastly I wanted to let everyone know of meeting times and places for the field trips for Friday and Sunday. When the flyers were sent out there was not a field trip form to return. We did that because we did not anyone to feel as if they had to pick one right then. There are no attendance restrictions for any of the field trips, so we decided you could either email me what you decided or just think about it and decide upon arriving. When everyone comes and checks in either Thursday or Friday morning you can sign up for whatever field trip they would like or just tag along.

The guided buffalo fishing trip will meet at the Fisheries Center in our new Conservation Center at 7:30 a.m., and will be leaving to go to Lake Athens around 8:00 a.m. This will allow us to get stocked up on coffee, get gear together, and get fishing license for anyone who needs one. Now if 8:00 a.m. is to early just stop by the Conservation building Friday and will point you across the parking lot to where they will be fishing. Fishing will go on until everyone gets tired or until the social begins.

The shocking demonstration will start at 9:00 a.m. there at the boat ramp at Lake Athens. This will give the management crew time to come from Tyler and get everything set up. Now people will be at the Conservation building at 7:00, so come join us whenever you like for some coffee and doughnuts. Then at 9:00 a.m. everyone will head over to the boat ramp. Now the shocking demonstration is dependent on weather, and will last about an hour or so. The demonstration is only a few hundred yards from the buffalo fishing spot, so after the demonstration if you want you can go and get a line wet if you wish. And again the shocking demonstration will only be on Friday.

Both of the collecting trips will meet at the Conservation Building at the Fisheries Center at 7:30 and will leave at 8:00. Fishing license will be available to buy at the Conservation Center for those who will be taking fish back. We will be providing a few seins, few dip nets, and some coolers and hauling tanks to bring some fish back. However please bring your own gear if you have it. The Fisheries Centers will have some tank space available for those who catch fish and need a place to keep them until they leave on Sunday. The collecting trips will last as long as people want to pull siens and play in the water, but would like to head back sometime right after lunch due to the temperature and moving fish. The Fisheries Center will not be providing vehicles, so get there early to plan some carpooling.

If you have any questions concerning the field trips please feel free to call or email me. Please be sure to bring plenty of water, sunscreen, and a sack lunch. I invite everyone to come and attend the field trips because if you are looking for good times and good company then you don’t want to miss these field trips. See y’all in a month!!!!

#2 Irate Mormon

Irate Mormon
  • NANFA Member

Posted 28 August 2008 - 10:41 PM

The shocking demonstration will start at 9:00 a.m. there at the boat ramp at Lake Athens. Now the shocking demonstration is dependent on weather, and will last about an hour or so. The demonstration is only a few hundred yards from the buffalo fishing spot, so after the demonstration if you want you can go and get a line wet if you wish. And again the shocking demonstration will only be on Friday.

What is so shocking about it? I mean, we've probably seen it all. Heaps of dead alligator gar, destruction of welaka habitat - as a group we're not easily shocked. Now, a demonstration of how to successfully release Tilapia - well, that might qualify...

Edited by Irate Mormon, 28 August 2008 - 10:42 PM.

-The member currently known as Irate Mormon

#3 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow

Posted 29 August 2008 - 09:36 PM

Well im set. Fully registered according to Tom our honest NANFA Treasurer and the only fish im taking back on the airplane will be in my belly. Ive seen a good bit of shock and shockings over the last few years but hope to see an irate jittery gabalot martin shocked, sooner rather than later. That would be more fun than just a plain old shocking. Since he is content to jabber from Mississippi during this trip i will have to settle for the seeing of Texas swimming critters and only on a friday it seems. Best adjust my shocking plans.

Wayne says...

Also I will be able to have everyone under the collecting permit who signs up before September 1
well that includes me by just a few days, if the check clears, but then he also says...

Fishing license would also be required for anyone attending the buffalo fishing trip as well.

Now that confuses me.
:(
Hum, "attending" certainly would include building a fire and grilling a Buffalo right there on the bank. Maybe i can avoid this issue by cooking someone elses catch, but dang, that's still "attending". Hum, Wayne says the permit covers collecting but not transporting ( as in transporting to our respective homes ). But my question is: Does the collecting permit include watching, grilling and eating Buffalo? I figure that is collecting, at least kinda so. Thus by my interpretation, of the language previously presented, it is legal and rightful, if palatable, for one to collect and transport to a plate and or knife and fork while under the named protection of the issued "collecting permit", as long as ones name is attached to said permit and spelled correctly.
I might need my attorney to review this before departure.

Since im not 100% confident with this conclusion and do not wish to spend the latter part of my trip in the Texas jail house, i best bring along my vintage "Get out of Jail Free" card.

Its going to be an interesting trip with plenty to see and do. And i plan on doing it all, except the jail part. I might use an alias when dealing with those in authority. I will never forget last year's near jail experience in that state just to my north. I have decided it best to subtley mispronounce my name and transpose a number or two of my 10 digits in the future.
btw Martin, what is your social security number?

Texan hospitality, Texas waters, Texas BBQ, Georgia Peach Cobbler, Chattanooga Moon Pies, Texan Fishes and pre-Texan Dinosaurs.

Gosh, why would anyone want to stay home?
Might not be another like it no where.
Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

#4 aggieshark04

aggieshark04
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 02 September 2008 - 08:16 AM

Well I am glad to see that I confused someone like someone made me the other day. I tried to explain the new collecting rules as they were explained to me, but tried to make them easier to understand. But after chewing through 5 or 6 pencils and scratching a bald spot in my scalp that was the best I could do. But called again this morning to see if I could get a more simplistic explaination and this is what I was given (don't know why I could not get this the first time):

If you plan to take fish home with you or put a fishing pole in your hand you will have to have a fishing license.

If you plan to just pull a sein, net up a fish, or even if you are just flippin a fish over on a grill you will not be required to have a fishing license.

Oh FYI just found out that we will be working with that state from the north, so Casper I would do something very drastic to ur apperance. What I will leave up to you!

#5 Irate Mormon

Irate Mormon
  • NANFA Member

Posted 02 September 2008 - 09:30 AM

btw Martin, what is your social security number?

You should be careful about asking for such things. I will give you a social security number, all right. And for all you know it is mine!

-The member currently known as Irate Mormon

#6 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow

Posted 02 September 2008 - 03:34 PM

If you plan to take fish home with you or put a fishing pole in your hand you will have to have a fishing license.

If you plan to just pull a sein, net up a fish, or even if you are just flippin a fish over on a grill you will not be required to have a fishing license.

Thats easy! I'm excited. Thanks for going to all this effort Wayne, i know i'm in for a fun time.
Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

#7 aggieshark04

aggieshark04
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 18 September 2008 - 02:53 PM

Well GOOD NEWS! Went today to scout Gus Engeling out to see how they faired with IKE. They have a lot of fallen trees that they said they would try to get out of the way. If not we might have to hoof it a little bit. In some of the creeks the water is still high, but should go down by next week. However for the good news! They have about 2 or 3 spring feed creeks I did not know about and when I walked up to them I saw some little fish scurrying away. So we should have some really good look in their. Then for anyone who wants to sein they have several spots to do that as well.

As for the other spot I am not sure someone will be going to check on that tomorrow, but I am almost positive they will not have such good news. That creek is not spring feed so I am pretty confident that the water will be still very high. It should come down by next week.

With Ike coming through last week I not sure what it did to all of these little creeks, so we will explore them all together next week. So bring clothes that can get wet, bug screen and weights so the mosquitoes do not carry you way, and some dip nets. Se yall next week!!

Wayne

#8 AussiePeter

AussiePeter
  • NANFA Member

Posted 21 September 2008 - 04:00 PM

Wayne

Relative to the field trips, will the water be warm enough to not worry about waders? I plan on doing the stream trip on Sunday. I have waders, but figured it should still be moderately warm right? Looks like air temps will be in the mid 80's which is ok.

Thanks
Peter

#9 aggieshark04

aggieshark04
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 21 September 2008 - 04:06 PM

Wayne

Relative to the field trips, will the water be warm enough to not worry about waders? I plan on doing the stream trip on Sunday. I have waders, but figured it should still be moderately warm right? Looks like air temps will be in the mid 80's which is ok.

Thanks
Peter

Yeah it should be. Just depends if you are cold nature or not. I am still just wearing shorts and a tshirt when I dive in our outside exhibits with no problem. In fact there might be some days where we might see upper 80's to low 90's, so I think you should be okay.