Hurricane Gustav

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_netmaker_*

Guest_netmaker_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2008 - 10:10 AM

Could ANYONE in Missouri, South Dakota, Arkansas , Oklahoma or Nebraska

Please ....send me a PM or list here if permitted, the Barometric Pressure and Wind Direction at your location this afternoon, tomorrow during the day and tomorrow night .

I'm making my own guesses at what's going to happen and how far inland I need to bring my family and elderly inlaws.
I am suspecting and hoping that my Midwest friends are sending us a cool front just strong enough to slide Gustav along the coast line and NOT the direct hit it is supposed to make .
I am 15 miles SE from the NOAA projected path here on the Vermilion/ Lafayette parish border....21 miles inland from proposed ground Zero.

Yes, I know this OFF TOPIC. I am asking a favor of the Administrators as I can not wait for the Weather Channel to make this particular decision for me and I know this forum reaches all over the Midwest.

thank you either way.

Greg

#2 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2008 - 11:42 AM

Off topic item approved per Brooklamprey....
I'm kind of interested in this myself...

#3 Guest_netmaker_*

Guest_netmaker_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2008 - 11:52 AM

Off topic item approved per Brooklamprey....
I'm kind of interested in this myself...

Thank you.

I only need to make a good guess combined with whatever Steve Lyons says........the rest of the WC staff appears to be working on an emmy for who can be the most dramatic and sensational.
Lyons will make a guess at 25 Lat and i will make mine just after it crosses that.

#4 Guest_Etheostoma_*

Guest_Etheostoma_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2008 - 12:11 PM

According to NOAA, the pressure is currently 30.07" and the wind direction is south near my parents home in central Oklahoma. If you go to www.weather.gov and type in a city and state or zip code, it will give you a barometer reading and wind speed under current conditions. If you click on one of the maps at the bottom left of the page it will take you to a page that has current and forecast wind vector graphs.

Hope that helps!

#5 Guest_netmaker_*

Guest_netmaker_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2008 - 05:08 PM

thank you all anyway.

We're leaving. Its a CAT 4 and it isn't even in the Gulf.

Its been fun .
take care....

Greg

#6 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2008 - 06:57 PM

I'm gonna stay put, but we may lose power for a coupla weeks like we did last time. It was nice and quiet around here except for the generators and chainsaws. Gas was a BIG problem, but everybody is better prepared this time. Hope Warren Lund (lost his home in Katrina) and BG Granier come out OK. You old timers will know those names.

#7 Guest_Scenicrivers_*

Guest_Scenicrivers_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2008 - 03:50 PM

How is everyone in Gustav's path doing.

#8 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2008 - 04:54 PM

OK here in south/central Mississippi.

#9 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2008 - 06:51 PM

Glad to hear it!

#10 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2008 - 09:31 AM

Waiting to hear from NM once he gets back home.

#11 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 02 September 2008 - 09:35 AM

Waiting to hear from NM once he gets back home.

You runnin that PC off of a generator, or you still got power?

Glad to hear from you after the storm...
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#12 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2008 - 09:38 AM

Michael - I didn't lose power, which is really a minor miracle. We are having lots of tornadoes right now as I type this, but it looks like we made it through relatively unscathed.

#13 Guest_Mysteryman_*

Guest_Mysteryman_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2008 - 11:51 AM

Mobile County got clobbered, but we hardly even got any rain.

Say.. instead of creating yet another off-topic thread, may I ask another off topic question in this one?
( You know, we decided we didn't want an offtopic area, but maybe we need one anyway )

Do any of you know of any demand for venomous spiders, like for example some labs or somesuch? I caught a highly unusual spider today of the Latrodectus genus, but it's not any ordinary Black Widow. She's HUGE, has TWO hourglasses, a red dorsal stripe, and I think six big red polkadots all ringed with white on her dorsal abdomen. Death in a very pretty package. She also has a big eggcase which also looks kinda weird. I didn't collect the eggcase, but I certainly could. Have any of you ever seen anything like that? Do you know who could absolutely identify it or maybe even want it?
My plan is to photograph it as soon as I can figure out exactly HOW, because whatever else happens I'll definitely want a pic of this critter.

#14 Guest_netmaker_*

Guest_netmaker_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2008 - 07:36 AM

Hello,

Back home.
Minimal damage here in Southwest Louisiana. It was downgraded to a Cat 1 when it passed over.
We evaced north 40 miles but still ran into feeder bands and part of the collapsed eye wall. 65-80 mph with some gusts to 90..... worst of it lasted about 4 hours or so........Lots of tornadoes in this one but no flooding. Trees down everywhere.

I am now seriously thinking of moving. I am getting to old and worn out for this every few years. I'm just inland from the coast and not nearly enough marsh between me and the Gulf of Mexico.
It was and is a lovely place to live, fish and raise kids but its like pitching your tent on a railroad track.....you know sooner or later the train will come. My nightmare is somewhere out there is a Cat 4 or Cat 5 just waiting to turn this whole state into drift wood.

I think my wife would agree to a move and my kids are grown up enough to judge for themselves.
My business is nationwide and I can work anywhere there is a FEDEX or UPS to pick up the nets and gear. It would just be to get used to the cold if we went North.

Anyway, thank you all. back to work Monday....

sa va,

nm

#15 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2008 - 07:08 PM

We're glad to hear you are home safe!

#16 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2008 - 12:40 AM

NM, may I suggest moving to Mississippi?

I heard from BG Granier - no major damage out his way (near Baton Rouge) but no power for a couple of days. Have not been in contact with Warren Lund. For those who don't know he suffered a stroke earlier this year.

#17 Guest_Mysteryman_*

Guest_Mysteryman_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2008 - 08:16 AM

Well, Ike is a Cat 4 and expected to be a Cat 5 within hours.
It's heading right for us.
*sigh* Last year was so peaceful; now it looks like we'll have 6 in a row.

#18 Guest_netmaker_*

Guest_netmaker_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2008 - 09:54 AM

Oh yea......

here comes Ike.

I am looking at the NOAA site and reading the Stormpulse.com models......it looks like it will take aim at the Louisiana coast but will veer towards Texas as it nears the coast.

What some folks miss in all of this is that the Feeder Bands hold as much wind as the hurricane itself.
Being on the EAST or RIGHT side of these things gets you in the path of those mini twisters.
You can be out of the direct path by as much as 100 miles and still get 80 mph winds and 100 mph gusts.

Anyway, my two 5 year old Oscars died during the evac. I just could not keep the water oxygenated enough and they stressed out I suppose. I need to find a battery pack oxgenator that runs off of a 12v car battery...anyone know of such a critter?

Irate, if I move I am heading North . Mississippi would be ok if i could locate say North of the Greenville/ Itta Beena highway.

i don't know. this time of year really stresses me as some ( not all) of the researchers in the Midwest and West coast figure when the weather channel stops broadacasting the storm, its all over. Where's my gear? How long until you can deliver? No one ever thinks about the debris clean up, the stand down with untying everything outside and the moving all the stuff i store in the big shop back in to the little storage sheds and lets not forget the 2-3 55 gallon bags of thawed out fish and meat from the freezer.......lots of re-organinzing.

However.....The roof is still on the house and there are no trees laying INSIDE the shop like during Rita and Lilly.

Let me know if anyone knows of a Super Duty battery driven Aerator.

#19 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2008 - 10:54 AM

12 VDC oxygen generator

http://www.keepfishalive.com/index.php

I don't own one of these yet but have an eye on them.

#20 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2008 - 11:25 AM

Hey where is my concern about flash flooding in the I-95 DC, Baltimore corridor from Hanna! :mrgreen:

What about an agitator with one of those tri-cup wind meters on in it or driving it? You could harness your tropical disturbance to keep your fish alive and get a weather report!

Frabill oxygenation packet I saw this thumbing through a BPS catalouge the other night. Looks kind of interesting and a cheap option for small systems perhaps?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users