NANFA Wiki?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_benmor78_*

Guest_benmor78_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2008 - 07:10 PM

Have the admins here in the NANFA fora ever thought about setting up a NANFA wiki? I'm setting up my native tank this week, and there are some questions that I know have been answered before. Considering the breadth of knowledge here, a community wiki would probably be a great resource.

#2 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2008 - 08:53 PM

There is a member that was looking into doing this but I haven't heard anything about it since then (about 2 months ago?).

Until someone with the time and skills to manage it comes through, it probably won't get done in the near future.

Have you seen the Native Fish Keeping 101 document? http://forum.nanfa.o...?showtopic=5824

#3 Guest_benmor78_*

Guest_benmor78_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2008 - 09:14 PM

There is a member that was looking into doing this but I haven't heard anything about it since then (about 2 months ago?).

Until someone with the time and skills to manage it comes through, it probably won't get done in the near future.

Have you seen the Native Fish Keeping 101 document? http://forum.nanfa.o...?showtopic=5824

I'm at work and can't open it. I'll check it out when I get home.

#4 Guest_viridari_*

Guest_viridari_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2008 - 01:32 PM

It has been suggested a few times in the past.

Perhaps the best way to do it at this point is rather than asking NANFA to provide one, just set one up yourself and perhaps at some point it might be adopted by NANFA. That's more or less how this forum itself came to be.

#5 Guest_MUBOTE_*

Guest_MUBOTE_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2008 - 06:47 PM

It has been suggested a few times in the past.

Perhaps the best way to do it at this point is rather than asking NANFA to provide one, just set one up yourself and perhaps at some point it might be adopted by NANFA. That's more or less how this forum itself came to be.

I'd help out with a wiki, I've been doing them for some time.

#6 Guest_viridari_*

Guest_viridari_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2008 - 09:22 PM

If you spend a few minutes at http://www.wikia.com they will guide you through setting one up for free (ad supported)

#7 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2008 - 11:54 PM

Man, this is gonna be FUN!

#8 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2008 - 12:29 AM

I don't believe the "mechanics" in setting up a wiki is the obstacle in this case. A wiki would require countless hours of dedicated service through coordinated experts. This task can be quite difficult to accomplish considering NANFA is an all volunteer organization and many folks have busy lives. I would love to pitch in but I'm not and expert of anything to be honest.

#9 Guest_uniseine_*

Guest_uniseine_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2008 - 11:34 AM

I don't believe the "mechanics" in setting up a wiki is the obstacle in this case. A wiki would require countless hours of dedicated service through coordinated experts. This task can be quite difficult to accomplish considering NANFA is an all volunteer organization and many folks have busy lives. I would love to pitch in but I'm not and expert of anything to be honest.

I believe the advantages of Wiki
are
dedicated experts are not needed
and
there is no deadline, so no loss if the work does not get done.

#10 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2008 - 12:47 PM

I have never spoken on the behalf of NANFA and this is no exception. The following are my thoughts alone.

I would be concerned about a NANFA sponsored wiki where anyone can post anything as fact. As we can see on the forum (and elsewhere on the net) people have wide ranging opinion and often facts are scant or difficult to obtain. I believe experts would be needed to provide a basis for fact checking and professional guidance. Simply put, I believe a wiki would require administration in order to be of benefit. Please correct me as I might be wrong in my thinking about how wiki's are administered.

#11 Guest_jdclarksc_*

Guest_jdclarksc_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2008 - 09:17 PM

I have never spoken on the behalf of NANFA and this is no exception. The following are my thoughts alone.

I would be concerned about a NANFA sponsored wiki where anyone can post anything as fact. As we can see on the forum (and elsewhere on the net) people have wide ranging opinion and often facts are scant or difficult to obtain. I believe experts would be needed to provide a basis for fact checking and professional guidance. Simply put, I believe a wiki would require administration in order to be of benefit. Please correct me as I might be wrong in my thinking about how wiki's are administered.

I agree with teleost. We often have people come to us about animals that they have lost because of incorrect information on Wikipedia. Although usually very good, there is a delay in the correction of incorrect material that can have negative effects. A concerted effort to fact check is a large undertaking that we basically pay a couple people a full weeks salary to do for our own educational materials. Tough for a volunteer organization accomplish in my opinion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users