Outdoor Aquarium

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_5975craig_*

Guest_5975craig_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2008 - 11:15 AM

Hey, I was wondering if anyone has kept a glass or acrylic aquarium outdoors. I live in Oregon where winter temperatures rarely drop below 20 degrees in the Winter. I would like to have an outdoor aquarium, but have no idea if this can be done successfuly.
Thanks
Craig

#2 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2008 - 12:03 PM

I think most people that keep an outdoor aquarium bring it in in the winter. At twenty degrees the glass one would crack cause it would probably freeze at that temp unless heated. I would think it impratical to keep an aquaruim outdoors. Rather to have an inground pond that would not totally freeze to the bottom would be more practical.

To answer you question I have never kept an aquarium outdoors and I do not see the reasoning behind it except for maybe a natural food chain or something. I would preferr a glass aquarium inside where I can enjoy seeing the fish much easier.

Being no expert on this, there you have it up above, my non expert answer. Maybe someone else can key in on this thread that has done this before and give you some pointers.

Regards,
nativecajun

#3 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 12 September 2008 - 01:22 PM

I don't keep anything glass (or acrylic) outside, but at 20 degrees you are going to have some fish-sickles in there for sure...

I think Casper kept a tank outside for a while, maybe he will chime in... but again, it doesn't get that cold that often down here...
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#4 Guest_threegoldfish_*

Guest_threegoldfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2008 - 02:01 PM

The only time I've seen something similar is an outdoor display done by the PPG Aquarium in Pittsburgh that was very large outdoor tank with what was probably acrylic windows so you could see the fish. It was more like an above-ground pool with windows than an aquarium. You can sort of get an idea of what it looked like from this picture: http://www.flickr.co...57594572682539/ I think it also had a fairly substantial current going to keep the water from freezing.

#5 Guest_aggieshark04_*

Guest_aggieshark04_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2008 - 05:03 PM

Well I guess the first question that should be asked is how many gallons would it be? Then what is the purpose of the aquarium?, what filtration type are you going to use?, and how do you plan to circulate the water? We have about 300,000 gallons of aquaria outside where I work. Granted I live in Texas, but it will still get down in the 20's and teens. We never see 20 below though.

Without really knowing that to get an idea of the aquarium it is hard to say the best way to keep it. However I would say that if it is under about 5000 gallons than you would be putting more money and effort into it than probably what it is worth. Of course it would also be dependent on the dimensions too.

If you would like you can take a look at the website where I work, and if you would like please feel free to contact me and we could discuss it further if you would like. Here is the website: http://www.tpwd.stat...orcenters/tffc/

The other problem with outdoor exhibits is inclement weather. Point and Case we are right in the path of IKE!!! So hopefully I will still have fish IN the exhibits when I come back and they have not made their way down to the lake. Hope this helps.

Wayne

#6 Guest_Clayton_*

Guest_Clayton_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2008 - 07:27 PM

I know people who keep fry tanks outside in the summer and also a few people in warmer climates that keep coral tanks outdoors to make use of the sun. With any direct sunlight the water generally turns green very quickly which is great for fry as it will be food for many species. It isn't so great for viewing though. A small tank also over heats very quickly in that situation. So you'd need a chiller or some other way to cool the water in the summer and some way to keep the water warmer than 20 in the winter.

#7 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2008 - 04:54 PM

I've done it - the mild winters here in MS make it very feasible. In fact, the minners and darters LOVED the winter temps! I know BG Granier in LA has MANY outdoor tanks. He keep tropicals in 'em during the summer, and natives in the winter. It works out quite well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users