Where to collect in Georgia?

40 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_khudgins_*

Guest_khudgins_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2008 - 01:06 PM

I'm game on the 25th, it is indeed a Saturday. My great preference is to head back to Williamson Swamp Creek one more time for dollars and shrimps (which will hopefully survive the dollars in my 55) and maybe a darter or three.

However, I'm good to go anywhere if the consensus is to go elsewhere. The gas shortage is over and prices are stabilizing at just less than the average, so that's nice.

We'll see if my jeep's available, I'm taking it into the shop for transmission issues tomorrow. ;P

#22 Guest_Casper Cox_*

Guest_Casper Cox_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2008 - 05:39 PM

My time has been crunched since my return from Texas. I have been overwhelmed with work and no break is seen in the days ahead. And im due to head into NC for a week next Wednesday. Then the SFC meeting is in Chattanooga Nov 13 & 14. I just dont see how i can get involved with planning a North Georgia trip at this time. I might be able to participate but as for planning logistics i'm just not able. Its a great region but needs a good bit of planning before doing a trip.
I will stay alert to posting tho.

#23 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 09 October 2008 - 08:59 PM

I'm game on the 25th, it is indeed a Saturday. My great preference is to head back to Williamson Swamp Creek one more time for dollars and shrimps (which will hopefully survive the dollars in my 55) and maybe a darter or three.

However, I'm good to go anywhere if the consensus is to go elsewhere. The gas shortage is over and prices are stabilizing at just less than the average, so that's nice.

We'll see if my jeep's available, I'm taking it into the shop for transmission issues tomorrow. ;P

Well then it's up to Alejandro and others... if they want to go out that way with us, we can just do that area again... that's not a problem for me and the site is certainly rich enough to support us stomping around... we didn't even go to the branches of the stream on the west side of the bridge...

If this is going to be some folks fist trip, there are certainly some good aquarium fish in these waters...

And we can still plan something up north later in the winter... cool weather collecting works out really well here in Georgia.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#24 Guest_Doug_Dame_*

Guest_Doug_Dame_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2008 - 12:19 PM

And just to be clear... Georgia fishing regulation indicate that fish are all classified as either game fish or not... in general, game fish can only be taken with hook and line... non game fish are considered bait fish and can be taken with a seine (there are regulation on these of course)...

Well, unless it's a @#&%$#%@*# "Trout Stream" ... in which case the fish are either classified as "trout" or "not-trout and some indignant trouter will likely sic the law on you by cell-phone if you're seen in the area with a dipnet, seine or bucket."

There's a N GA story on that, but it's not my story, so I won't re-tell it.

But unless you have access to scientific collecting permits, the trout stream issue greatly complicates collecting in N. Georgia and probably other places that have similar rules.

Being insufficiently wary of Trout Stream regulations is perilous.

#25 Guest_alejandro_*

Guest_alejandro_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2008 - 01:22 PM

I'm quite happy just collecting plants and assorted hitchhikers for now. I had brought up the trip idea because it seems like it would be fun but I'd be going more to tag along and learn about collecting/identification than anything. I'm not looking to plan a trip, but like I first said, if anyone wants a seining partner or something let me know. Thanks.

#26 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2008 - 02:52 PM

Yeah, to add to Doug's trout stream warning, it's worst in GA in the NE corner of the state where GA meets NC and SC. My recollection is that the upper Etowah isn't a major "trout stream" area but I'd certainly look and make sure. And someday we'll have to publish "that story"; it's a good lurid story.

#27 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 11 October 2008 - 08:51 PM

I'm quite happy just collecting plants and assorted hitchhikers for now. I had brought up the trip idea because it seems like it would be fun but I'd be going more to tag along and learn about collecting/identification than anything. I'm not looking to plan a trip, but like I first said, if anyone wants a seining partner or something let me know. Thanks.

Well, regardless of whether you want to keep some fish or some plants or whatever, you are very invited to join Keith and I on the 25th... if we all just start saying htat we are going then we will see who else wants to join... so that's it... Keith and Alejandro and I are going to middle georgia onthe 25th, who wants to come along?

We will likely meet at the Waffle House (I mean it is after all Georgia) just south of I20 on US441 (time to be decided).

We will likely see (based on previous trips):
Spotted Sunfish
Dollar Sunfish
Banded Pygmy Sunfish (Elassoma zonatum)
Pickerel (Redfin I think... the ones we caught were pretty small)
Pirate Perch
Yellow Bullhead
black banded darters
swamp darters (I think, maybe they were another similar species)
Midland Shiner (Pteronotropis stonei)
several other shiners I can't remember
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#28 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 11 October 2008 - 08:54 PM

Yeah, to add to Doug's trout stream warning, it's worst in GA in the NE corner of the state where GA meets NC and SC. My recollection is that the upper Etowah isn't a major "trout stream" area but I'd certainly look and make sure. And someday we'll have to publish "that story"; it's a good lurid story.

If you mean this rather lurid story involving trout streams and several other interesting encounters... it is already on the web...

http://www.nanfa.org...ah/tallulah.htm

I was looking at some of the old trip reports thinking about how I could use them to help plan a trip to north georgia... but I do not want to repeat one like the above...

#29 Guest_khudgins_*

Guest_khudgins_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2008 - 01:48 PM

We will likely meet at the Waffle House (I mean it is after all Georgia) just south of I20 on US441 (time to be decided).

Let's meet earlier this time, so we've got some more time to explore.

We will likely see (based on previous trips):
Spotted Sunfish
Dollar Sunfish
Banded Pygmy Sunfish (Elassoma zonatum)
Pickerel (Redfin I think... the ones we caught were pretty small)
Pirate Perch
Yellow Bullhead
black banded darters
swamp darters (I think, maybe they were another similar species)
Midland Shiner (Pteronotropis stonei)
several other shiners I can't remember

Yellowfin shiners, for sure, and that blue-sided shiner that we never got a clear identification on (likely dusky?)
Tesellated darter
some flavor of madtom
at least two varieties of shrimp (one of which has been growing well in my 55!)
gambusia (of course)
Mike wolfei (Strange legged, lunged fish with a propensity to drag nets around)

And, of course, all the crawfish you can eat. If you want to eat them. I, for one, like them boiled up nicely. ;P

#30 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 12 October 2008 - 08:29 PM

Yellowfin shiners, for sure, and that blue-sided shiner that we never got a clear identification on (likely dusky?)
Tesellated darter
some flavor of madtom
at least two varieties of shrimp (one of which has been growing well in my 55!)
gambusia (of course)
Mike wolfei (Strange legged, lunged fish with a propensity to drag nets around)

And, of course, all the crawfish you can eat. If you want to eat them. I, for one, like them boiled up nicely. ;P

Thanks for the update Keith... except I went back to the original post and discusison and that bluish shiner was finally decided to be spottail shiner... N. hudsonius... which may be a nice fish to add to my school of yellowfins for contrast...

#31 Guest_alejandro_*

Guest_alejandro_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2008 - 02:45 AM

Excellent! I'm looking forward to this.

#32 Guest_khudgins_*

Guest_khudgins_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2008 - 11:31 AM

Thanks for the update Keith... except I went back to the original post and discusison and that bluish shiner was finally decided to be spottail shiner... N. hudsonius... which may be a nice fish to add to my school of yellowfins for contrast...

You're right - I remember that now. We found two in the broadest part of the creek we were in, which may mean they like more open water. I think we may find more below the riffle that we didn't go over.

#33 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 20 October 2008 - 09:45 PM

OK, well this is the week... just a few more days to go before we go collecting in GA...

For those that want to go wth us we will be meeting at the Waffle House on 441 just south of interstate 20.

Keith said something about meeting early, so I'm not sure what that means to everyone... If some folks are coming form about an hour away or so , maybe 7:00 am is about the earliest I could get there... so you want to meet there at about 7:00? And who is planning on joining us...

I know there are several of you Atlanta area guys that wanted to get out in the water... this is your chance.

#34 Guest_khudgins_*

Guest_khudgins_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2008 - 11:00 PM

OK, well this is the week... just a few more days to go before we go collecting in GA...

For those that want to go wth us we will be meeting at the Waffle House on 441 just south of interstate 20.

Keith said something about meeting early, so I'm not sure what that means to everyone... If some folks are coming form about an hour away or so , maybe 7:00 am is about the earliest I could get there... so you want to meet there at about 7:00? And who is planning on joining us...

I know there are several of you Atlanta area guys that wanted to get out in the water... this is your chance.

7:00 may be a bit extra early for anyone coming from Atlanta, but I'm game if everyone else is.

If we get out early enough, though, and anyone else is along, we can hit a few other spots if time permits and they want to.

#35 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 21 October 2008 - 05:06 PM

7:00 may be a bit extra early for anyone coming from Atlanta, but I'm game if everyone else is.

If we get out early enough, though, and anyone else is along, we can hit a few other spots if time permits and they want to.

Speak up y'all... if you want/need a later start time just let me know... we are trying to be as inclusive as possible here... all are welcome to join... I have a couple of seines and a couple of dip nets... so we have some extra equipment...

If you have never got out into the environment and seen your fishes, it is totally different than buyin 'em on-line... much less expense (not quite free as you should have a fishin license and you will have to drive to meet us, but you can ride with me after that)... and much more fun...

#36 Guest_alejandro_*

Guest_alejandro_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2008 - 06:16 PM

I'd rather meet a little later. How about 8am? Also, there are apparently two wafflehouses on 441 just south of 20, about half a mile from each other. Which one is it, 2050 Eatonton Rd or 1941 Eatonton Rd (the second is closest of the two to hwy 20)?

#37 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 21 October 2008 - 10:11 PM

I'd rather meet a little later. How about 8am? Also, there are apparently two wafflehouses on 441 just south of 20, about half a mile from each other. Which one is it, 2050 Eatonton Rd or 1941 Eatonton Rd (the second is closest of the two to hwy 20)?

OK 8:00am it is!

I'm not really sure about the Waffle House address, I thought there was one on the north side of the interstate and one on the south side... in any case, we met at the one that is on your left (which I guess is the east side of 441) just south of the interstate. I'll send you my cell phone number and we will not leave you!

#38 Guest_khudgins_*

Guest_khudgins_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2008 - 08:01 AM

OK 8:00am it is!

I'm not really sure about the Waffle House address, I thought there was one on the north side of the interstate and one on the south side... in any case, we met at the one that is on your left (which I guess is the east side of 441) just south of the interstate. I'll send you my cell phone number and we will not leave you!

I'll be there. It's a bit chilly in the mornings, so I'm gonna bring my waders (yeah, call me a wuss, go ahead) and a bunch of towels for when things warm up. Who's driving this time?

#39 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 22 October 2008 - 08:27 AM

I'll be there. It's a bit chilly in the mornings, so I'm gonna bring my waders (yeah, call me a wuss, go ahead) and a bunch of towels for when things warm up. Who's driving this time?

I will likely be able to drive, and I was planning on bringing my waders as well... :blush:

#40 Guest_ttman_*

Guest_ttman_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2009 - 07:29 AM

anyone find longear sunfish?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users