How Long Are We Allowed To Keep Fish?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2008 - 01:10 PM

IF THE ONES I HAVE MADE IT ANOTHER WEEK LETS SAY
WILL I HAVE BROKEN ANY OHIO LAW'S BY KEEPING THEM?
We caught them with a hook and fishing pole.

#2 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2008 - 01:19 PM

ALL SO I looked into getting a permit
class a aquaculture its only about 50$ from the state is this really the way to go.
and is it necessary or is the fishing permit all we really need.
iv'e read the law from the ODRN all it talks about is don't sell the bait
dont collect more then the max limit
also we can use sunfish for bait if you catch it legally.

#3 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2008 - 01:44 PM

Tony,

Speaking generally (which is difficult these days) if you catch a fish on hook and line and follow the size/creel limits for your state (and the fish is not listed as threatened or endangered) you're usually in the clear. It's important to study your state fishing regulations first, then I like to look at the code for aquaculture, bait collection and everything related to wild fishes. States have the laws as written available online. Laws can be a bit confusing so I'd suggest you have someone experienced help you understand what they mean.

As far as holding fish... I think the NANFA code of ethics I've posted below will help guide you.
NANFA Members who collect native fishes from the wild and maintain them in private aquaria are encouraged to comply with the following Code of Ethics:

* It is the responsibility of NANFA members to acquaint themselves with, and abide by, the collecting, fishing and fish transfer regulations of each Country, State or Province in which they collect, transfer, or ship fish.

* Collecting must be done in an environmentally sound and responsible manner, which includes, but is not limited to: a) not removing numbers of fishes beyond that which one requires or is capable of sustaining; b) taking all reasonable actions to prevent negative impacts on the habitat in which one collects; c) respecting private property rights; and d) complying with any law-enforcement, natural-resource, or other conservation officer or agent encountered in the field.

* NANFA members who enjoy collecting and maintaining fishes do so of their own accord. Except for specific programs funded and/or sponsored by the Association, NANFA does not sanction any specific collection and/or captive maintenance of native fishes.

* Not all native fishes are suitable for aquaria, and some species may test the skills of even the most experienced aquarist. Therefore, members are encouraged to research the biology and captive requirements of each species before an attempt is made to remove them from the wild.

* Fishes or other aquatic organisms must not be relocated or introduced into any outdoor bodies of water, even to places where they were originally collected (except catch and immediate release), including specimens raised in private aquaria, without permission from the appropriate governing agency. Members must realize that there are complicated and often unknown ecological processes at work in aquatic systems which may make fish introductions detrimental to the system. Potential problems from such introductions include displacement of native species, spread of disease, and the loss of genetic diversity via hybridization.

* All reasonable attempts should be made to maintain fishes with the utmost regard for their safety and health, which includes, but is not limited to: maintaining sufficient water quality; providing water chemistry, temperature, oxygen levels and foods appropriate for each particular species; species compatibility; and the safe and humane transport of fishes from the wild to the aquarium. Sick or infirm specimens should be euthanized in a humane manner and disposed of properly.

http://www.nanfa.org/mission.shtml

#4 Guest_Sombunya_*

Guest_Sombunya_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2008 - 02:08 PM

I received some info from different sources that seemed to conflict regarding collecting and keeping natives. If I can get with the Dept. of Fish and Game in California I'll check these details out.

The fish I have were nabbed before they hit the trash can. I should say shoveled into a trash can. The conditions I keep them in (water quality, food type, tank size) spoils them I think. They're strong, aggressive, and swim to the side of the tank and stare at me when I come near.

#5 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2008 - 02:22 PM

[quote name='teleost' date='Sep 21 2008, 01:44 PM' post='46854']
Tony,

Speaking generally (which is difficult these days) .

THANKS AGAIN.
I YIELD TO MY OWN IGNORANCE IN THIS NEW FOUND HOBBIE
ALL NATIVE FISH ARE GOING HOME
( BACK TO THE CREEK THEY CAME FROM)
FOR NOW UNTIL I NO MORE ABOUT KEEPING FISH LONG TERM ALIVE

I WILL P/U SOME GOLD FISH TO KEEP TANK ACTIVE
I NEED TO DO SOME MORE SEARCHING FOR KNOWLEDGE
THIS IS MORE THEN I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE
JUST TO KEEP LEFT OVER BAIT ALIVE.

THANKS AGAIN FOR THE HELP AND ADVICE
HAVE A GOOD DAY

#6 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2008 - 02:29 PM

As much as I don't like the caps please DO NOT release your fish back into the wild, which it sounds like you said you were going to do. I don't think you're far off the right path and we've given you some good and simple fixes to your problems and questions. To put it simply, there is nothing in the Ohio fishing regulations, and we're talking Ohio, not Califorinia or any other state (it will only confuse things more than necessary), that dictates how long you can keep fish. You can keep them as long as they stay alive. If you got your sunfish via hook and line then you are fine. There is no minimum size or possession limit on sunfish except from a few specific managed areas in Ohio. For non-game and bait fish you are correct, there is an aggregate limit on possession. What you see in the fishing regulations is spelled out pretty nicely. Again, DO NOT release your fish back into the wild, please.

#7 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2008 - 03:24 PM

As much as I don't like the caps please DO NOT release your fish back into the wild, which it sounds like you said you were going to do. I don't think you're far off the right path and we've given you some good and simple fixes to your problems and questions. To put it simply, there is nothing in the Ohio fishing regulations, and we're talking Ohio, not Califorinia or any other state (it will only confuse things more than necessary), that dictates how long you can keep fish. You can keep them as long as they stay alive. If you got your sunfish via hook and line then you are fine. There is no minimum size or possession limit on sunfish except from a few specific managed areas in Ohio. For non-game and bait fish you are correct, there is an aggregate limit on possession. What you see in the fishing regulations is spelled out pretty nicely. Again, DO NOT release your fish back into the wild, please.

ok i will not put the fish back in the creek
i will need to by the canister fillter then right
this is the filter i was thinking of adding (see link below)
i will keep the longer sunfish
and one shiner
and one small 2.5" green sunfish

http://www.aquariumg...ter-filter.html

ps sorry for all of the caps i was just typing and did not notice it was on

Edited by CATfishTONY, 21 September 2008 - 03:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users