Hello From Ma!

8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Runan_*

Guest_Runan_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2008 - 07:28 PM

Hi all, I'm Runan. That's not my real name obviously, but one of the cool parts of the internet is that you can call youself whatever you want, heh. I live in Reading, MA, about 30 minutes outside of Boston. Go Red Sox!

I've been keeping fish for over a year now, and I have about 10 tanks ("about" because I keep seeming to find excuses to get more...). A 55g planted tropical community tank, a 20g planted sub-tropical/native tank, a 10g planted white cloud tank, a 5.5g planted paradise fish tank, and a bunch of 2.5g betta tanks. Speaking of getting more tanks, the white clouds in my 10g just spawned and now I've got a bazillion fry in there...seriously, there's more every time I look. x_X

Anyway, a few months ago I started to get interested in keeping native fish after I saw how gorgeous some of them were. So now I have 5 rainbow shiner juvies in my 20g tank, along with some panda corys and threadfin rainbowfish. I hope to get a small darter or two as well at some point. :)

#2 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2008 - 07:53 PM

Hello and welcome, Runan! Fortunately for you, there are a couple of Nanfan regulars up your way; maybe you can talk them into taking you on some collecting expeditions!

By the way, what is the proper term for a person from Massachusetts? I was going to type 'Massachusettsians', but that seemed wrong somehow.

#3 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2008 - 08:00 PM

Newt, the most polite term for people from Massachusetts would be Bay Staters. If you want to bug them, try swamp yankees (some will take that term as a matter of pride, like my former roommates...).

#4 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2008 - 08:03 PM

Hi all, I'm Runan. That's not my real name obviously, but one of the cool parts of the internet is that you can call youself whatever you want, heh. I live in Reading, MA, about 30 minutes outside of Boston. Go Red Sox!

I've been keeping fish for over a year now, and I have about 10 tanks ("about" because I keep seeming to find excuses to get more...). A 55g planted tropical community tank, a 20g planted sub-tropical/native tank, a 10g planted white cloud tank, a 5.5g planted paradise fish tank, and a bunch of 2.5g betta tanks. Speaking of getting more tanks, the white clouds in my 10g just spawned and now I've got a bazillion fry in there...seriously, there's more every time I look. x_X

Anyway, a few months ago I started to get interested in keeping native fish after I saw how gorgeous some of them were. So now I have 5 rainbow shiner juvies in my 20g tank, along with some panda corys and threadfin rainbowfish. I hope to get a small darter or two as well at some point. :)

Welcome to the board Runan
Tony here from Ohio
all ways have fun collecting native fish
and take a kiddo along some time

#5 Guest_Runan_*

Guest_Runan_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2008 - 08:04 PM

Collecting trips sound like fun, although I don't have much time at the moment with classes. College, bleh. Although my vertabrate bio class is pretty fun, and we go on field trips all the time. Our last one was to the Ipswich River Wildlife Sanctuary in Topsfield; we found one of your namesakes under a board, Newt, although it wasn't as brightly colored since it was nearing adulthood.

Most out-of-staters call us Massholes, heh. As for the proper term...uh, I guess it would be "Massachusettsian" after all? Honestly, I haven't a clue, although I don't think I'd take "Yankee" very well...

Edited by Runan, 22 September 2008 - 08:05 PM.

#6 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2008 - 08:08 PM

Where do you go to school? I'd guess that it's not UMass/Boston, since the Biology dept. there hasn't offered a vert biology class in a long, long time.

#7 Guest_Runan_*

Guest_Runan_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2008 - 08:23 PM

Salem State.

#8 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2008 - 01:55 PM

Newt, the most polite term for people from Massachusetts would be Bay Staters. If you want to bug them, try swamp yankees (some will take that term as a matter of pride, like my former roommates...).

Swamp Yankees! That's perfect! I oughta change my screen name to that.
Welcome Runan from a crusty ole swamp yankee.
You're in a good place to get interested in brackish and saltwater species. If you get the urge to explore the high gradient cool water streams or the tannic bogs and marshes of the north central part of the state, give me a shout.

#9 Guest_Scenicrivers_*

Guest_Scenicrivers_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2008 - 10:02 PM

Welcome to the forum. You'll learn a lot and meet some great people hear. Hope over the winter you'll be able to learn more about natives and collect some soon.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users