Elodea Flower?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2008 - 12:58 AM

I never knew Elodea had flowers until about a month ago when I spotted one outside. I'll try to get a pic up tomorrow. Has anyone else had their elodea bloom indoors or out?

#2 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2008 - 08:14 AM

I used to have Elodea flower on a regular basis when I was in junior high school. I'd built my own reflectors/tank covers with incandescent bulbs in a fixture, and a lining of tin foil, with lights left on sometimes for a week at a stretch(!). Strangely, we also produced tons of guppies that I used to trade to local pet stores. My mother thought it would grow out of the tank and take over the room.

#3 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2008 - 11:57 AM

I used to have Elodea flower on a regular basis when I was in junior high school. I'd built my own reflectors/tank covers with incandescent bulbs in a fixture, and a lining of tin foil, with lights left on sometimes for a week at a stretch(!). Strangely, we also produced tons of guppies that I used to trade to local pet stores. My mother thought it would grow out of the tank and take over the room.

Yeah these are outside in my pirate perch tub, and I ended up getting about a dozen or so flowers, but there are still several buds underwater. But that stuff can definitely grow fast! I added a couple small pieces and now theres a four-inch thick layer of it on the surface of the water. The longest piece is somewhere between 2 and 3 feet long.

#4 Guest_HelenB_*

Guest_HelenB_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2008 - 03:19 PM

Ours flowers outside in the sunniest spot but not elsewhere.

Best,
Helen

#5 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2008 - 11:32 AM

I never knew Elodea had flowers until about a month ago when I spotted one outside. I'll try to get a pic up tomorrow. Has anyone else had their elodea bloom indoors or out?

Sure, I've had it flower with good lighting.

Most of the aquatic plants do flower. A few (like ferns, mosses, liverworts, and Isoetes) do not - they produce spores instead.

#6 Guest_Mysteryman_*

Guest_Mysteryman_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2008 - 12:19 AM

I almost never get it to bloom indoors, but outside in the pools I probably couldn't stop it from blooming if I wanted to. One year it pretty much covered the entire surface with flowers, which looked really neat-o, but reminded me that I had a lot of pruning to do...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users