Missouri Central Longears

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2009 - 09:23 PM

I actually do not know the exact drainage that the original adults came from. I got them from centrarchid he will have to answer that It would be good form me to know anyways.

#22 Guest_mdwalt1_*

Guest_mdwalt1_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2009 - 07:57 AM

Here's a video update on my 5 Longears. I got them last October (2008), so they are approximately 8 months old and are about 2 1/2" long.
Click to view my Lepomis megalotis video on Youtube (I just got a new camera and am still working on the macro function.)

They haven't colored up as vibrantly as Rick's yet, but they're getting there. I'm feeding them flake, HBH Softbites (krill) and frozen blood worms.
Mostly once, sometimes twice per day. I have no heater, so that may be something I want to control (raise) for them to become more colorful.

Apparently the video works intermittantly. If you can't see it, here are a few stills.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by mdwalt1, 03 June 2009 - 08:46 AM.

#23 Guest_jjmayr_*

Guest_jjmayr_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2009 - 10:03 PM

I also purchased some Central Longears from Brian last fall. Mine are about the same size and color as yours. What size tank do you have them in? I have three longears plus a pleco in a 46 gallon bow. I am sure our fish will start to look like Rick's soon, I can't wait. I feed mine TetraCichlid Jumbo sticks and frozen blood worms about twice a day. I will try to post a pic of my tank soon. Thanks for sharing the pics and video of your fish.

Joe

#24 Guest_rick_*

Guest_rick_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2009 - 06:35 AM

Here is a photo taken this morning of my largest male longear I purchased from Brian. He is now around 4" long and brilliant in color. I have two other males that are not quite that large, but just as colorful. The largest female is probably 2 1/2 inches long with just a hint of color. Still feeding almost exclusively on the HBH Supersoft with krill and TetraCichlid Jumbo Sticks.

Rick
longear.jpg

#25 Guest_ttman_*

Guest_ttman_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2009 - 07:23 PM

Please post picture updates.

#26 Guest_rick_*

Guest_rick_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2009 - 06:36 PM

Please post picture updates.

Here is an updated photo of a male Central Missouri Longear Sunfish I purchased from Brian. He is now around 16 months old. The water temp is rather cool and so he is probably not in breeding coloration. He feeds primarily on HBH Supersoft with krill, Tetra Jumbo Cichlid Sticks, and blackworms. I am guessing he's now around 5.5" to 6" in length and has a very deep body as you can see. Sibling males are similar, but around 4" in length.

Rick

Attached Images

• longear.jpg

#27 Guest_natureman187_*

Guest_natureman187_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2009 - 12:53 AM

You're raising quite the stunning mean looking machine. Those big dominant broad individuals are something to admire. Keep us updated!

#28 Guest_tennfan56_*

Guest_tennfan56_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2009 - 10:48 PM

Is that male kept with the other males? Is there much aggression?

#29 Guest_rick_*

Guest_rick_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2010 - 07:06 PM

Is that male kept with the other males? Is there much aggression?

There are no other males in the tank. There are three smaller females with no aggression that amounts to anything.

Rick

#30 Guest_RD911_*

Guest_RD911_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2010 - 03:16 PM

Hey Rick,

Would you happen to have any full tank shots that you could share?
I'm also curious as to the size of the tank that your group is in?
Great looking male!

Thanks

#31 Guest_mdwalt1_*

Guest_mdwalt1_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2010 - 05:32 PM

Here is an update on my longears. I've still got all 5 and some are twice as large as the others. They have really gotten their colors in the past 6 months. My photo skills aren't the best, but you get the idea.

Attached Images

• lepomis_1yr5mo.jpg
  • lepomis2_1yr5mo.jpg

#32 Guest_RD911_*

Guest_RD911_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2010 - 06:50 PM

Looking good! What size are the males now?

#33 Guest_mdwalt1_*

Guest_mdwalt1_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2010 - 07:54 PM

Two males are about 4", one male is about 3.5" and the two females are about 2.5".

#34 Guest_rick_*

Guest_rick_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2010 - 09:39 PM

Hey Rick,

Would you happen to have any full tank shots that you could share?
I'm also curious as to the size of the tank that your group is in?
Great looking male!

Thanks

I will get some full tank shots soon. There is the one big male and three much smaller (I think) females in a 55 gal tank. They are the only fish in the tank. The colors are much like yours in natural light. The last photo I posted was with a flash.

Rick

#35 Guest_mdwalt1_*

Guest_mdwalt1_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:58 AM

Just a quick update in case you're wondering. My longears are all doing well and are now about 3 1/2 years old.
The largest male is about 8" and a pretty hefty guy. Here's a photo...

Posted Image

#36 Guest_wargreen_*

Guest_wargreen_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:16 PM

Wow.....some beautifull longears.

#37 Guest_Orangespotted_*

Guest_Orangespotted_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:41 PM

mdwalt1, what kind of lighting is in your tank and what camera are you using? Those pictures may be a tad blurry but they are the most realistic representations I've seen of sunfishes' brilliant metallic blues. Of course, the stunning fish you work with are no slouches either! I sure wish Longears weren't extirpated here... I'll have to settle with the abundance of Orangespots! :rolleyes:

#38 Guest_Usil_*

Guest_Usil_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:07 PM

Beautiful fish. I always thought that species approached Discus in color.

Usil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users