Collecting spots between Buffalo and Cincinnati

2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_kebuchan_*

Guest_kebuchan_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2008 - 09:21 AM

Hi all,

I'm new to native fish, actually I don't have any yet other then a 10g with about 8 gambusia affinis - That I didn't know where native. I have a basic 30g cycled and ready for when I do go out there and collect something. The 30g has some java moss and "guppy grass" with a small piece of driftwood and some rocks. I have a powerhead as an option to create a current but it's not set up yet, currently using an HOB.

We went out to a local state park (Big Bone) in Northern Kentucky over this past weekend just spur of the moement, not really to collect but the kids (4 & 2) had a blast trying to catch minnows and other lil fish with their aquarium nets.

I was looking to collect smaller fish - darters, madtoms, dace and maybe some livebearers. Initially was thinking about sunfish (pumpkinseed or OSS) but I think they'll quickly make a meal of their smaller tankmates.

We're headed up to Toronto for a few days and I thought I might try a few spots on the way down. So basically anything enroute between Buffalo and Cincinnati. We typically take I-90 from Buffalo to Erie, PA to Cleveland area, I-271 to I-71 and then on to Columbus and Cincinnati. Depending on where we stop I know I will have to get a day permit for NY state and/or PA.

I have never collected before but I've got a couple of styrofoam boxes (5g) and "Big Bubbles" set to go for collecting. Have a couple of dipnets but I might have to buy another one. The mesh is not very fine, not fine enough for me to net any of the smaller fish that I was hoping for - darters, dace, madtoms etc.

I would really have liked to try and collect in Ontario too but it would probably be a huge hassle bringing the fish across the border back into the US.

If anyone knows of any good collecting spots, with shallow streams so the kids could get in as well (although they will probably scare the fish away) along our route, please let me know. Basically around the Buffalo, NY, Erie, PA, Cleveland,OH or off I-71 between Cleveland and Cincinnati we could stop a few times for a couple of hours on our trip, it would make for nice breaks as well. We will be heading back Tuesday of next week.

Again - if you know of any good collecting spots for really most anything ( :-) ) I would appreciate the information.

Thanks,

Kevin

#2 Guest_kebuchan_*

Guest_kebuchan_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2008 - 01:58 PM

no bites.....

I guess I'll have to save this for another trip up to Toronto, which happens often enough.

Or I guess if someone responds before we're headed back, I could still stop at a recommended stop.

Thanks,

Kevin

#3 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2008 - 02:25 PM

I don't know of any spots, but I've had good luck Googling for "fishing access" and the area I want.

One thing you need to be aware of, in addition to needing a fishing license for whatever state you're in, the Great Lakes states like Ohio have some regulations enacted to slow the spread of VHS. There are quite a few species that are not allowed to be transported across state lines.

Here is a web site: USDA Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) Scroll down a bit, and under the "Viral Hemorrhagic Septicemia (VHS)" heading, there are links to PDF's that list the affected species and states.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users