Greensdide darters and tesselated darter?

2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Fishmaster_*

Guest_Fishmaster_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2008 - 09:58 AM

Has anyone that studies the susquehanna river drainage notice an increase in greenside darter and a decrease in tesselated over the last few years. I am a fisheries biologist for a consulting group in PA and we are starting to see greenside darters where historically they have not been seen before. Along with that the number of tesselated darters are reducing.

Is there any information about this topic and does anyone have possible answers to this? Could the greenside be forcing the tesselated darters out the their niche?

Thanks for any help?

Mike Martinek

#2 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2008 - 11:42 AM

Mike,

The short answer is yes. See Neely and George 2006 Northeastern Naturalist. If you may have noticed some of my more recent posts regarding greensides in Maryland and their overall phylogeny it is because we are seeing some of the same things in both the Susq and potentially the Potomac basin.

#3 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2008 - 05:02 PM

I'm not sure if it's relevent but I have noticed from attempting to keep tesselated darters in a community setting with other darter species that they compete very poorly.
I had half a dozen adults that were thriving in a 55 gallon stream tank. I added some rainbow darters and within a month or so the tesselated were getting skinny. They turned very timid once the rainbows were added. They always gave way to the rainbows and didn't get much to eat.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users