Posted 15 October 2008 - 07:35 PM

sorry my cam is not good enough to get an action shot

Attached Images

• DSC03349.JPG

#2 Guest_jimv8673_*

Guest_jimv8673_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2008 - 08:05 PM

Now Now !!! Lets not be hasty, he might just be admiring that little guys new halloween colored outfit.

#3 Guest_UncleWillie_*

Guest_UncleWillie_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2008 - 09:17 PM

I couldn't help but chuckle when I looked at that picture. Classic - Thanks for sharing.

#4 Guest_Canadiancray_*

Guest_Canadiancray_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2008 - 09:54 PM

Awesome. What size tank is that??

#5 Guest_magnummissle_*

Guest_magnummissle_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2008 - 10:02 PM

its a 125, look http://forum.nanfa.o...wtopic=6220&hl=

#6 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 16 October 2008 - 06:32 AM

Of course it will end well... one less carp for america, and one more smilin' smirkin' giant pickerel...
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#7 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2008 - 05:00 PM

Shouldn't that be a "smilin', smirkin', humongous giant pickerel"?

#8 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 16 October 2008 - 07:57 PM

Shouldn't that be a "smilin', smirkin', humongous giant pickerel"?

Yes, of course, how nice of you to know... as discussed once before, you and I obviously own all the same books and records...
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#9 Guest_magnummissle_*

Guest_magnummissle_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2008 - 10:24 PM

guys its only like 12 inches long

#10 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2008 - 10:33 PM

Stick around son, all will become clear through the lens of time...

#11 Guest_nerfgunner_*

Guest_nerfgunner_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 October 2008 - 09:29 PM

Yeah, thats a small goldy!

#12 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2008 - 02:56 PM

Stick around son, all will become clear through the lens of time...

That's a nice looking Northern Pike you have there...or was I supposed to play along?

Edited by NateTessler13, 22 October 2008 - 02:57 PM.

#13 Guest_Zephead4747_*

Guest_Zephead4747_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2008 - 08:13 PM

thread name is super ironic considering you have no pickerel.

#14 Guest_SlimSanta_*

Guest_SlimSanta_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2009 - 09:03 PM

I thought I caught a grass pickerel once. 1200$ and 1 outdoor pond later, I'm the baitstore's best customer. The good news is now I have a 75 gallon community tank. For any one that wants a Pike or Grass Pickerel - Get a mudminnow!

Edited by SlimSanta, 28 April 2009 - 09:10 PM.

#15 Guest_LiquidPyro33_*

Guest_LiquidPyro33_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2009 - 07:36 PM

i am confused...why not get a grass pike? i thought they only got to be about 8 to 10 inches

#16 Guest_SlimSanta_*

Guest_SlimSanta_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2009 - 06:05 PM

i am confused...why not get a grass pike? i thought they only got to be about 8 to 10 inches

If you plan on collecting your own fish, getting positive ID is hard on smaller specimens, you should be able to do that before you take it home. One thing to remember, Northern Pike also spawn in really weird places. Grass pike can grow to 15", require a sizable aquarium, and a constant supply of feeder fish. There are very few suitable tankmates for them.

Mud minnows are built physically similar to pike. The mudminnow's predatory behavior is very similar, yet more interesting. It only grows to 5 inches, and can be adapted to taking frozen foods quite easily (although they will take live worms and smaller fish as well :twisted: ). It is also possible to breed them in the home aquaria.

#17 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2009 - 06:32 PM

What exactly is a "Grass pike" ?

#18 Guest_SlimSanta_*

Guest_SlimSanta_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2009 - 07:47 PM

"Grass Pike Pickerel"

The small ones :-k , I've always assumed pike and pickerel could be used interchangeably. It just ,however, occured to me that grass pike refers a fish other than E. americanus vermiculatus, in other regions of the country. I guess it doesn't make sense to use common names on this board. I vow to use Latin names only, except when the situation dictates the use of slang.

Edited by SlimSanta, 06 May 2009 - 08:43 PM.

#19 Guest_LiquidPyro33_*

Guest_LiquidPyro33_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2009 - 10:52 PM

Esox americanus vermiculatus (grass pickerel) - it depends on where the fish is from, in Canada from what I have read the largest recorded size is 13inches or 328mm, however in the States the largest was 15inches or 381mm like you said...not to be too particular or anything just thought I would throw that out there.

Pickerel is just the diminutive of the word pike...bascially the same thing if I am not mistaken, no?

Mud minnows you say...hmm I will have to do some research on this as it sounds interesting

#20 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2009 - 11:11 PM

"Grass Pike Pickerel"

The small ones :-k , I've always assumed pike and pickerel could be used interchangeably. It just ,however, occured to me that grass pike refers a fish other than E. americanus vermiculatus, in other regions of the country. I guess it doesn't make sense to use common names on this board. I vow to use Latin names only, except when the situation dictates the use of slang.

I don't think you need to use scientific names while communicating on the forum but standard common names should be a minimum. There can be only one accepted common name for each species. Using Pike and Pickerel interchangeably isn't the end of the world as most would be able to decipher what you mean but there would always be the question....are we talking about Northern pike or a pickerel? If not a pike and we're calling it a pike, which pickerel is it? Sure, we're probably talking about a Grass pickerel but there really is no such thing as a Grass pike (at least where I come from) so we could be talking about anything.

Chris Scharpf put together a great checklist on the NANFA website. It's a wonderful resource for cross referencing names. http://www.nanfa.org/checklist.shtml

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users