Cane Poles

7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_SnowShrimp_*

Guest_SnowShrimp_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2008 - 12:35 PM

I haven't fished since I was a young kid with a real cheap Zebco. Now that I'm getting back into the I've been looking at my options and came across the cane pole. It appeals to me on two fronts: I'm cheap and old fashioned (despite being 24, I've actually said "kids these days..."). I tend to break shiny expensive things and like to keep it simple. Anyway, I was thinking about using one to catch my future pet bullhead along with whatever other little fellers feel like biting. So I guess my point was too ask what you more experienced folks think about this particular implement.

#2 Guest_PhilipKukulski_*

Guest_PhilipKukulski_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2008 - 12:59 PM

Sounds good for your target fish. Useful because you can place the bait where you want. For bullhead, connect the hook to a 6 inch leader of fishing line, bait with a worm or doah ball, put the sinker on the river/lake bottom and watch the end of the pole for any nibbles.

Last June, I was at Jim G's and then decided to try and catch some Pumpkinseeds. I found an old lure with a trebble hook in his garage. Found fishingline left by other fishermen. Found a branch of a pine tree. Removing the hook from the lure, and some store bought worms (because of a drought), and I had my Pumpkinseeds.

#3 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 28 October 2008 - 02:27 PM

Sounds good for your target fish. Useful because you can place the bait where you want. For bullhead, connect the hook to a 6 inch leader of fishing line, bait with a worm or doah ball, put the sinker on the river/lake bottom and watch the end of the pole for any nibbles.

Last June, I was at Jim G's and then decided to try and catch some Pumpkinseeds. I found an old lure with a trebble hook in his garage. Found fishingline left by other fishermen. Found a branch of a pine tree. Removing the hook from the lure, and some store bought worms (because of a drought), and I had my Pumpkinseeds.

That's cheating Phillip... in June Pseeds will strike anything... back in Ohio, I found a hook and line caught in a tree from a previous fishermans 'hang up' and thought it would be funny to try can catch a fish with it... only I have no bait... found an old cigarette butt and used the filter fluff to make a lure... crazy mean pseeds will hit anything...
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#4 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2008 - 02:42 PM

I have a cane pole and find that it is great if you don't have to cast to reach the fish you want. It worked on bluegill for the table, however, I used a regular rod more often to get to the spots with the larger fish - still close to shore, but out of the reach of the cane pole. But since you'd be looking for small specimens, it may be just the thing you need. Mine collapses to about, oh, maybe a foot and a half long. If your regulations allow, you can also try hand lining - no pole needed.

#5 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2008 - 03:01 PM

I haven't fished since I was a young kid with a real cheap Zebco. Now that I'm getting back into the I've been looking at my options and came across the cane pole. It appeals to me on two fronts: I'm cheap and old fashioned (despite being 24, I've actually said "kids these days..."). I tend to break shiny expensive things and like to keep it simple. Anyway, I was thinking about using one to catch my future pet bullhead along with whatever other little fellers feel like biting. So I guess my point was too ask what you more experienced folks think about this particular implement.

HI SnowShrimp
cane poles rule! try this for fish you plan to keep
use a hook larger than you think you need
so they can not get it to deep in there mouth
also bent the barbs flat with pliers
or get some pre made hooks
larger barbless hooks cause little to no damage

here is a good link to read on hooks and damage
they may cause

http://www.performan...blesshooks.html
Tony

Edited by CATfishTONY, 28 October 2008 - 03:02 PM.

#6 Guest_wdon71_*

Guest_wdon71_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2008 - 06:16 PM

My 8y/o son this summer caught one 15" walleye and several smaller ones over in eastern Ohio using a homemade "cane pole" and nightcrawlers because I forgot his regular pole. He now prefers his cane pole. And you just can't beat the nostalgic aspect!

#7 Guest_netmaker_*

Guest_netmaker_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2008 - 06:32 PM

BITD they used cane poles on Tuna boats to haul in fish upwards of 80 pounds.
Barbless hocks were used so the fish would slide off when they yanked the fish into the boat.
No bait on the hook either......you would shovel loads of anchovy into the water and the tunies would get into a solid feeding frenzy. the big Ol' silver hook would just simulate a flashing anchovy and WHAM! fish on.

You had to keep a tight line and yank the fish back as hard as possible. Big fish had to be brought in clsoe and dragged over the very low outside gunwhale.

yep, cane poles rule........................until a Portugese fishermen showed the west coast guys how Lamparra seines worked and then graduated to purse seines..........so much for dolphins and cane poles.

sa va,

nm

#8 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2008 - 12:15 AM

That's cheating Phillip... in June Pseeds will strike anything... back in Ohio, I found a hook and line caught in a tree from a previous fishermans 'hang up' and thought it would be funny to try can catch a fish with it... only I have no bait... found an old cigarette butt and used the filter fluff to make a lure... crazy mean pseeds will hit anything...

Yeah, I gotta agree with Michael. When I was a teen I used to get a kick out of catching big male pumpkinseeds with just the hook didn't need any bait at all, around here June is breeding season and they will hit anything. Females did require bait or something resembling bait on the hook.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users