Playing cards

20 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2008 - 12:40 PM

Apparently they were for sale at the convention in Texas. At the moment, the BOD is discussing bringing them to and educational event.

Any chance of them being offered for sale here?

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 02 November 2008 - 10:26 PM

Apparently they were for sale at the convention in Texas. At the moment, the BOD is discussing bringing them to and educational event.

Any chance of them being offered for sale here?

I'm not on the BOD, so all I can give you is rumor... it was discussed at the convention that we would be offering them to sell to the membership... there was some talk about a slightly higher price than whatever we paid at the convention... but it was all just talk... the cards do look fantastic! I got a couple of decks...
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2008 - 08:55 AM

We will have them for sale here shortly.

#4 Guest_Casper Cox_*

Guest_Casper Cox_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2008 - 11:11 AM

Speaking as a graphic artist i am highly impressed with the playing card's design, content and quality.
Each card is unique and they are even organized in ( what is the word for numbering sequence, 2s, 3s, Jacks, Aces? ).
Joe Tomelleri did nearly all the illustrations and his work is nicely reproduced.
Even tho the deck is named "Missouri River: Fishes of the Big Muddy", many of the species are fish we all know and love from our own regions.
Personally i would like to see a similiar deck done for the Conasauga. Yes Siree.
:)
Tho i dont play cards much these days i will be giving decks to my solitary, Blackjack friends who do.
Oh yea, the jokers are truely wild cards.
Excellent job. I'm sorry i can not recall the name of the nice fella who organized this, and he gave me a piece of petrified wood from a roadside siene while we were in Texas, but we all owe him a big THANK YOU.
Casper

#5 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2008 - 11:30 AM

For a joker in a Conasauga deck we could have a photo of the nude "Santa Claus" guy bathing himself in the middle of the river with an open Bud on the rock next to him.

#6 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2008 - 01:39 PM

For a joker in a Conasauga deck we could have a photo of the nude "Santa Claus" guy bathing himself in the middle of the river with an open Bud on the rock next to him.

pffffff...I must have missed that story :laugh:

#7 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2008 - 05:45 PM

Something of a tangent:

I'm a bit of a comics geek, and that community has recently begun getting into 'sketch cards'. Artists draw these cards at actual size and they are reproduced and sold in sets, much like sports cards; usually the originals are also sold (at a higher price, of course).

So, would anyone here be interested in buying fish sketch cards? I know there are several illustrators on the board who might be persuaded to contribute. If there is some interest I would be happy to arrange the printing and distribution of blanks and the final card reproduction.

#8 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2008 - 06:03 PM

Ooooo! Sounds cool! How much would they cost?

#9 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2008 - 06:39 PM

Ooooo! Sounds cool! How much would they cost?

Depends on the run size, if we're having packs printed up. We'd just need to be sure there was enough demand to make printing worthwhile. Most card printers have a minimum run of 1,000 per image, with significant volume discounts. If we go with the minimum run, it'll be about $80 per run, giving us a print cost of $0.08 per card. After packaging and shipping charges, I'd guess we're at $0.10-0.12 per card, so a pack of 50 would cost us about $5-6 each, for a run of 1000 packs. For a run of 5,000 the per-pack cost would drop to half that, but we'd need to be sure we could sell all those packs.

I have probably massively overestimated the market for fish trading cards. Also, I don't know what kind of budget NANFA operates on, but the leadership probably isn't willing to sink several thousand dollars into such an unproven venture. I should have thought that part out a little more thoroughly before suggesting it.

On the other hand, if we just think about the originals, there is little initial cost. We could have a run of, say, 5,000 cards made up with a NANFA logo and perhaps a border, then distribute these to the contributing artists. Total so far $80 plus mailing. Heck, I'd be willing to front that myself. The artists will illustrate their cards and mail them back to the NANFA board, or to whomever will be distributing these, whence they may be sold or auctioned off in whatever manner seems most appropriate. Even if the cards are sold for a dollar there's some money made for the organization, and a particularly nice card may bring in a healthy sum. I'm assuming here that the artists will be willing to contribute their time and work for free; if this is not the case perhaps some sort of commission will be necessary.

Edited by Newt, 10 November 2008 - 06:40 PM.

#10 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2008 - 09:24 AM

The playing cards are now available for sale. They are $10 per pack and this includes shipping. Please see this site for a description of the cards: http://web.me.com/je.....&_prints.html
We will get something more formal set up shortly, but I wanted to make sure that folks had a chance to order them for the holidays if they wanted to. For now, PM me if you are interested.

#11 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2008 - 10:55 PM

Sorry for the delay in posting this. Cards can be purchased here : http://nanfa.org/cart.shtml#cards

#12 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2008 - 02:22 AM

Just got my "Fishes of the Big Muddy" playing cards today. I must say, very well done! I think someone mentioned this before, but there's a different fish species on each card. Additionally, there's a little tidbit of info about each fish on each card. They're awesome! Thanks NANFA and everyone who helped put these together!

Brian

#13 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2008 - 07:33 PM

I attended the Midwest Fish and Wildlife conference last week in Columbus Ohio and got to talking with someone from the US Fish and Wildlife Service at one of the talks and mentioned my biggest interest was in non-game species. The next day he found me and handed me one of these decks of cards. He was from Missouri so maybe he was one of the people who helped put them together. I then told him that I had been intending to buy them anyways and was a member of NANFA.

#14 Guest_BenjaminS_*

Guest_BenjaminS_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2008 - 06:45 PM

Hi all!
I just got my cards in the mail and they are freakin' awesome!!! I just want to say they are definatley worth the money and it's for a good cause! Excellent job! I can't wait for more NANFA items to be offered! How about action figures of our favorite NANFA people? You know, for kids!
Don

#15 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2008 - 07:56 PM

I got my playing cards, too. They are too awesome for words! :biggrin:

#16 Guest_hackleback_*

Guest_hackleback_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2009 - 12:11 PM

Another deck is in the works. It will not be fish but will be aquatic related. Stay tuned..................

#17 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2009 - 12:16 PM

hackleback,

Welcome to the forum! What's your name? Where are you located?

Brian

Brian J. Torreano - Owner
BTDarters
American Native Fish for
your aquarium...and more!
Web: http://www.btdarters.com
Email: bt@btdarters.com
Phone: (262) 268-7489

#18 Guest_Casper Cox_*

Guest_Casper Cox_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2009 - 06:01 PM

Hackelback
I think this is Andy, a Missourian and head instigator of the Fishes of the Big Muddy.
I just received a note from him as he ordered a few NANFA stickers. I'm ashamed i could not remember his name from when we meet at the Texas convention. Good time.
What a great job on these cards.
I'm trying to do the same for the Conasauga but so far have not gotten the key responces i would desire.

What's a Hackelback?

#19 Guest_EdBihary_*

Guest_EdBihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2009 - 07:09 PM

What's a Hackelback?

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Hackleback

#20 Guest_Casper Cox_*

Guest_Casper Cox_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2009 - 07:57 PM

Thanks Ed.
What a cool fish. We got to see and handle those critters while at the Missouri convention. Bob H had setup a barge outing on the mighty Mississippi the first day. We pushed upriver to a sandy island where we seined to our heart's content and leg's wobble. NANFA Fishheads took turns riding with a DNR boat crew pulling a small sampling trawl down the center of the river. That is how many of us saw our first "Hackleback". Cool name. What a wonderful experience and convention it was!
Here is a pic of Pierre and James standing outside the bouy tender pilot's cabin and overlooking the barge. It was like 3 stories tall! What a view. We grilled steaks and ate New York Cheescake. Bob says he will do another convention in a few years just before he retires.

Attached Images

• Barge_Pierre_James.JPG

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users