Fish art

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2008 - 12:14 PM

A while back I recall Chris made a comment that I must have a large collection of fish art. This was prompted by the observation that I consistently buy art at the convention auctions. While I don't think of my collection as "large", I reflected on his comment and was prompted to see how many fishy pieces I actually own.

I counted 50 - there is probably some stuff packed up somewhere too, but 50 is what is actually on display in my home. This number includes figurines, posters, framed art, magnets, etc. So, it really isn't THAT many.

I am wondering how many others here collect fish art?

#2 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2008 - 12:31 PM

I do Martin. I purchased three prints from Jeremy T at INHS when they were offered up to raise money for NANFA. I also came into an old "Common trout" print, looks like a lake trout or some char, and a copy of a turn of the century book on N.A. trout which has quite a few color plates. While not necessarly "art" my office is wall papered with various posters with fish, mussel, and crayfish photos. I stumbled across an 1950s compelation of 30 or so plates published by Ohio DOW in a box a professor was throwing out. To top off the nerdiness, I used those images for the seating arrangement card at my wedding. So instead of sitting at table 5 you got to sit at table Orangespotted sunfish. I'm not that big on taxidermy, since I helped my wife with a neglected collection severay years back and was disgusted at what was living. I've also got a neat burnt copper school of fish over the doorway to my apartment. Two more odd things are a carved wood wine bottle holder and rainbow trout bottle opener and box cutter.

#3 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 03 November 2008 - 01:29 PM

I am wondering how many others here collect fish art?

I do... and now you are going to make me go home and count it... I know I have some art form almost every convention (folk art fish Casper donated, a Emily D, some from Ken, and one this year form Phil Nixon's wife)... and of course Casper's tee-shirts are all a work of art and I have quite a few of those...

I also have several other pieces of wildlife art from other vacations (wolves from Canada, toucans from Costa Rica, etc.)...

MWolfe
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#4 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2008 - 04:10 PM

I have one unique piece of fish art. It's a painted pillow with a fish on it that looks exactly like a Coelacanth, done by an autistic teenager at an art therapy studio outside of Birmingham. I keep meaning to take a photo to post, hopefully soon... And of course there's my rubber creek chub.

#5 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2008 - 04:32 PM

and of course Casper's tee-shirts are all a work of art and I have quite a few of those...

I wasn't including the T-shirts...forgot all about those. I don't think they really count anyway. Nor am I counting the stickers on my computer case and monitor bezel.

Well, I guess this IS kind of ridiculous. Stickers on the computer...and I actually bought them! Oh yeah, there's a couple of stickers on my truck too. Damn, it's worse than I thought! As for the candiru tattoo - I really don't remember how that got there (and NO, I am NOT posting a photo !!!).

#6 Guest_AndrewAcropora_*

Guest_AndrewAcropora_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2008 - 02:30 AM

I have one unique piece of fish art. It's a painted pillow with a fish on it that looks exactly like a Coelacanth, done by an autistic teenager at an art therapy studio outside of Birmingham. I keep meaning to take a photo to post, hopefully soon... And of course there's my rubber creek chub.

I consider your Canned Dace to be a piece of art in its own right.

Irate,.. where exactly is that tattoo located on your body???

Edited by AndrewAcropora, 04 November 2008 - 02:32 AM.

#7 Guest_khudgins_*

Guest_khudgins_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2008 - 11:22 AM

Irate,.. where exactly is that tattoo located on your body???

Since the candiru is a south american fish, I move that this question remain unanswered because it's clearly off-topic for a north american fish forum.

:tongue:

#8 Guest_dmarkley_*

Guest_dmarkley_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2008 - 11:32 AM

Aren't candiru's small fish? Maximum of say, 1-2 inches? LOL

#9 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2008 - 11:42 AM

Fie on thee, fellow!

#10 Guest_fundulus_*