deleting posts

6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_jimv8673_*

Guest_jimv8673_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2008 - 08:20 AM

Is there a way to delete ones own posts, I think this should be an option, especially on posts no longer valid or if a member just decides they no longer want a post. It should also save space somewhere. Dont know much about computers and not asking for ability to delete ANY post.

#2 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2008 - 10:08 AM

You can always ask a moderator. I believe we limited the ability for a forum user to edit their posts after a certain length of time. It makes things odd to follow when you say something and two days later you change your statement in the same response. You can always just reply quoting yourself to change a statement. If it's not valid/correct it's not necessarily a bad thing to show the full thought process of all users, especially in the case of an identificaiton. Otherwise we would end up with threads that look like the original question with the last, best answer without any input in the middle.

#3 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2008 - 12:05 PM

We've had a user go back and "delete" their old posts which messed up a whole conversation. This is when we implemented the new 1-hour policy. You can delete your topic within one hour if no one else has responded to it. I think that pertains to responses as well. You can edit your post within one hour as well.

#4 Guest_jimv8673_*

Guest_jimv8673_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2008 - 01:02 PM

We've had a user go back and "delete" their old posts which messed up a whole conversation. This is when we implemented the new 1-hour policy. You can delete your topic within one hour if no one else has responded to it. I think that pertains to responses as well. You can edit your post within one hour as well.

Thanks Drew i can see how that would gum up the works. I will just try to be a little more reflectful on what i type before i press the send button.

#5 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2008 - 01:14 PM

Thanks Drew i can see how that would gum up the works. I will just try to be a little more reflectful on what i type before i press the send button.

Always a good idea, even if you can go edit/delete posts forever. Whenever I write any post, I hit the "preview" button and ask myself, "Is my post saying what I want it to say? Could it be misconstrued and read another way? Could it accidentally offend someone?" Since when typing, you can't get a person's tone of voice, lot's of things can be misunderstood. I've seen a number of internet wars that were started by a simple misunderstanding of someone else's tone.

(Not targeting you Jim. I just think it's a good idea for anybody.)

#6 Guest_jimv8673_*

Guest_jimv8673_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2008 - 02:01 PM

Always a good idea, even if you can go edit/delete posts forever. Whenever I write any post, I hit the "preview" button and ask myself, "Is my post saying what I want it to say? Could it be misconstrued and read another way? Could it accidentally offend someone?" Since when typing, you can't get a person's tone of voice, lot's of things can be misunderstood. I've seen a number of internet wars that were started by a simple misunderstanding of someone else's tone.

(Not targeting you Jim. I just think it's a good idea for anybody.)

You are absolutely right, Im trying to do exactly what you just said and will try to continue, as i said if you dont hit the send button its easier to reword if you need to make a point, or maybe just say nothing at all and just go kick the dog :smile2: OH OH, i didnt mean kick the dog really

#7 Guest_brian1973_*

Guest_brian1973_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2008 - 07:59 PM

You are absolutely right, Im trying to do exactly what you just said and will try to continue, as i said if you dont hit the send button its easier to reword if you need to make a point, or maybe just say nothing at all and just go kick the dog :smile2: OH OH, i didnt mean kick the dog really

Another tropical forum I am active on just went to this same policy due to one member that would post and start arguing when someone would ask questions, then since his thread was not what he wanted it to be he was deleteing them and restarting it, the MOD's still have the power but the members do not. I dont know about here but on that forum MOD's have the power to restore deleted theads as well.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users