amazing discovery

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_jimv8673_*

Guest_jimv8673_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2008 - 08:27 PM

When i first came on this forum, a very wise man (Drew) advised me to read and study and knowledge would come. Well after the initial excitement of finding this forum about my newly found hobby, ive started to surf around, and there are surprises everywhere. I had no idea that pygmy sunfish can be found in the southern part of my state, and that after an exhaustive search of every creek i could find in my area that the most probable place to find a fish i was after was actually in the river that all these streams dump into. My Point... look for myself and Maybe i will find.

#2 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2008 - 11:04 AM

That's a good point. I take a difference approach.....ask everyone else and it nobody knows then maybe...just maybe I'll look for myself :tongue: just kidding. You're right though, there is much knowledge about these fish out there, just research.

#3 Guest_Bob_*

Guest_Bob_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2008 - 03:23 PM

That's the point of my signature block.

When i first came on this forum, a very wise man (Drew) advised me to read and study and knowledge would come. Well after the initial excitement of finding this forum about my newly found hobby, ive started to surf around, and there are surprises everywhere. I had no idea that pygmy sunfish can be found in the southern part of my state, and that after an exhaustive search of every creek i could find in my area that the most probable place to find a fish i was after was actually in the river that all these streams dump into. My Point... look for myself and Maybe i will find.

#4 Guest_Bob_*

Guest_Bob_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2008 - 03:25 PM

That's a good point. I take a difference approach.....ask everyone else and it nobody knows then maybe...just maybe I'll look for myself :tongue: just kidding. You're right though, there is much knowledge about these fish out there, just research.

Edited by Bob, 18 November 2008 - 03:25 PM.

#5 Guest_JohnO_*

Guest_JohnO_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2008 - 12:07 AM

Well, if you ever plan a trip into KY, bring me a pygmy sunfish or two if you can find any. KY doesn't have them. It would be nice to have something that doesn't get too big. I'll swap you some interesting darters, or show you where you can net some yourself... Red river gorge and the southern Cumberland watershed are maybe 1.5 hours apart. You can hit both in one day, and get a completely different variety of darter in each location.

One thing to add to the advice - get out with the dip net and see what you can find. And don't just try one pool or one riffle in one stream, try every part of the stream, and try every stream you can get into. You just don't know what will come up in the net, and you learn a lot about where they live and the conditions they like to be kept in. Heck, I was idly swiping a net through an isolated murky pool and came up with a longnose gar, darn thing looked like a dinosaur. Nearly soiled myself when I saw that...

#6 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2008 - 12:11 AM

There are pygmies in the Jackson Purchase. Not really convenient to you, John, but they are in your state.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users