Movin on Up...

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_JohnO_*

Guest_JohnO_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2008 - 09:57 PM

So you decided to go for that one yourself? Good find.

How wide is it? I'll bet that gar is still in that pool where we left it... one swipe with my seine is all it should take...

#22 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2008 - 10:15 PM

We can go get that Gar for your tank John, I don't want any part of that fish :biggrin: I would be down for going out there, my Brook Silverside died today ](*,)

OK, I'm slowing adding water now...I'm about 1/4 full right now. A co-worker and tropical fish nut gave me a big power filter to use until I get my canister filter. Actually, she gave me two..just to help me get the water filtered so I can get my fish in.

I've been reading and reading and researching about which canister filter is right for me. After all the reading, the Eheim sounds good...but they recommend what seems like a very detailed cleaning every month. I just don't want to have to disassemble this thing all the time. I'm leaning toward the Marineland C-360 Multi-stage. Anyone have any thoughts/experiences with this canister? It's getting good reviews and I've had pretty good luck with Marineland products (though my co-worker calls it 'wal-mart crap'). I found one New on Ebay for 145.00, it's near 200 at petsmart/fostersmith. I need to be ordering one soon and I just want to make the right choice since this is an expensive investment here at Christmas time.

#23 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2008 - 08:42 AM

We can go get that Gar for your tank John, I don't want any part of that fish :biggrin: I would be down for going out there, my Brook Silverside died today ](*,)

OK, I'm slowing adding water now...I'm about 1/4 full right now. A co-worker and tropical fish nut gave me a big power filter to use until I get my canister filter. Actually, she gave me two..just to help me get the water filtered so I can get my fish in.

I've been reading and reading and researching about which canister filter is right for me. After all the reading, the Eheim sounds good...but they recommend what seems like a very detailed cleaning every month. I just don't want to have to disassemble this thing all the time. I'm leaning toward the Marineland C-360 Multi-stage. Anyone have any thoughts/experiences with this canister? It's getting good reviews and I've had pretty good luck with Marineland products (though my co-worker calls it 'wal-mart crap'). I found one New on Ebay for 145.00, it's near 200 at petsmart/fostersmith. I need to be ordering one soon and I just want to make the right choice since this is an expensive investment here at Christmas time.

why not just make one looks as though you have done well thus far try this link. this set is small but you could all ways super size it right

http://www.petfrd.co...a...le&artid=87

#24 Guest_blakemarkwell_*

Guest_blakemarkwell_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2008 - 10:35 AM

Eheim may recommend a cleaning every month, but I can tell you, I had one running for quite some time and never cleaned it (and I am a clean freak). Also, a good friend of mine has had two of them running for over a year and never cleaned it.

However, I will say on a monthly or bi-monthly basis you may want to clean the plastic-ware if diatoms or algae build up inside of the intake, hose, or outtake, etc....

Best,

Blake

#25 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2008 - 10:51 PM

Any canister filter will need opened up and cleaned periodically. How often depends on the size of the filter as compared to the aquarium and how heavily stocked (and fed) the tank is.

#26 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2008 - 02:47 PM

I'm having a really hard time deciding which filter to go with.

As good as the C-360 sounds, I'm reading too many reviews that people say they leak. The thought of a leak is too much for me.

So, it's between the Fluval 405, Rena Xp3, and Eheim Classic....anybody care to share their experiences?

Edited by jblaylock, 15 December 2008 - 02:47 PM.

#27 Guest_blakemarkwell_*

Guest_blakemarkwell_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2008 - 02:49 PM

I do not think you will see a noticable difference between those three, I would just pick the cheapest. Those are all very good filters and any one of them will get the job done.

Blake

#28 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2008 - 02:51 PM

I'm having a really hard time deciding which filter to go with.

As good as the C-360 sounds, the thought of a leak is too much for me.

So, it's between the Fluval 405, Rena Xp3, and Eheim Classic....anybody care to share their experiences?

I have all 3 brands. I like the Eheims better than the rest with the Fluval coming next. The Rena is cheap and it shows. The other two are built pretty well and I've never had problems with them, not saying I had problems with the Rena.

You will always find people who like one better than the other. Having used all three, I would recommend the Eheim. Although the Classic version lacks a lot of features like auto-start (I love auto-start), flow control, and the included tubing sucks.

#29 Guest_pmk00001_*

Guest_pmk00001_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2008 - 04:27 PM

I've had a couple of Eheim Classic's for about 6 months. Only cleaned them once. They work flawlessly but I don't really have any other canisters to compare them too.

You don't hear many people complain about Eheim.

#30 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2008 - 09:04 AM

Ok, I'm down to the Eheim Pro II 2026 or the Fluval 405. Both are near the same price. Anybody ever asked Petsmart to price match fostersmith?

The fluval has a much higher flow rate, which means the water will cycle more but that doesn't really mean it will filter better. I like the way the media stacks on the Eheim opposed to the fluval. At this point I'm stuck in the middle.

#31 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2008 - 10:00 AM

I'm running the Eheim Pro II 2028 on a 75g tank and can't complain. Petsmart had a good price last I checked. And yes, the Fluval has a higher flow rate but the Eheim is supposedly more efficient. On a lightly stocked tank you won't notice any difference.

#32 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2008 - 10:05 AM

Drew,

on a tank that will have a decent sized school of various shiners and several darter, would you go with the eheim or fluval? I mean, which would be better the efficientcy of the eheim or the higher flow rate of the fluval...or do they kinda cancel themselves out.

oh I so cant make a decision but I need to quick.

#33 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2008 - 10:13 AM

Unless you want to do a stream-style tank, either of those will do. I just prefer the Eheim.

#34 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2008 - 10:32 AM

Unless you want to do a stream-style tank, either of those will do. I just prefer the Eheim.

What do you mean, 'stream-style tank'??

I'd actually like to find one that has a 'powerhead' style output to add to my two powerhead as I'm disappointed in their output after adding the filters/tubing.

Edited by jblaylock, 16 December 2008 - 11:01 AM.

#35 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2008 - 11:30 AM

Just a high flow uni-directional tank.

#36 Guest_brian1973_*

Guest_brian1973_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2008 - 10:25 PM

I have recently purchased a rena xp3 and a marineland C360, I have heard good and bad about the 360, the Rena I have only heard good things about, check out 4petsdirect.com for some amazing prices ..both filters with shipping cost less than $280. As for the problems with the 360 from what I can find marineland is quick to replace the faulty filters so that atleast says they stand behind their product, mine were technically purchased by my wife for my xmas gifts so I cant set them up until then. I have heard good things about eheim as well but my wife wasnt going to go for the cost..

#37 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2008 - 07:59 AM

Just a quick update, pics to follow tonight.

Day 6 = added 1/3 water
Day 7 = Water was stripping black paint off PVC, had to find different connectors, installed
Day 8 = Went collecting with John, awesome trip
Day 9 = Filled tank, got temporary filter going. I noticed that the powerhead were not pushing water like they should
Day 10 = tank cycling
Day 11 = Ordered additional lunar lights. Took tubing off powerheads, the elbow connectors are causing water flow to be very very very restricted.

Well, that brings my build up to today, I don't have any plans for it today. Tomorrow I may throw in a few bluntnose minnows. I desperately need to find black 90 degree elbow fittings. The ones I had restricted the water and the regular PVC wouldn't hold the paint on. I have found some online but shipping is crazy. I've called every plumbing store I could find and even had a coworker call her plumber husband....nothing.

#38 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2008 - 03:45 PM

I desperately need to find black 90 degree elbow fittings.

Try this link.

have a good day.
Tony

http://www.fishtanks...mp;Category=333

#39 Guest_truf_*

Guest_truf_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2008 - 05:01 PM

Just a quick update, pics to follow tonight.

Day 6 = added 1/3 water
Day 7 = Water was stripping black paint off PVC, had to find different connectors, installed
Day 8 = Went collecting with John, awesome trip
Day 9 = Filled tank, got temporary filter going. I noticed that the powerhead were not pushing water like they should
Day 10 = tank cycling
Day 11 = Ordered additional lunar lights. Took tubing off powerheads, the elbow connectors are causing water flow to be very very very restricted.

Well, that brings my build up to today, I don't have any plans for it today. Tomorrow I may throw in a few bluntnose minnows. I desperately need to find black 90 degree elbow fittings. The ones I had restricted the water and the regular PVC wouldn't hold the paint on. I have found some online but shipping is crazy. I've called every plumbing store I could find and even had a coworker call her plumber husband....nothing.

Turn the powerheads upside down.

#40 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2008 - 06:04 PM

Thanks for the link, I need a 1/2 in and I didn't see any. I found a place in New Mexico that has them.

As for turning the powerheads upside down...John pointed that out to me, but with the sponge filter attached to the bottom...it wouldn't look very pleasing with it sticking up in the tank. At least with them down I can kinda conseal them with rocks.

Bluntnose minnow going in tonight.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users