Southern illinois / missouri/ kentucky region natives

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_tadpoleboy_*

Guest_tadpoleboy_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2008 - 05:22 PM

Here are some fish i have collected in the southern Illinois / N. kentucky area. All are from small - medium streams. Some streams were not flowing and had formed standing pools, depending on the time i visited. I have a few species of crayfish that i have not id'd (3 different species i believe). Two of them are large, and have large blue claws. These guys are the most mild mannered, rarely aggressive, and somewhat sluggish. I have another one that is dark brown/black, smaller, but aggresive and very active. The last one is brown, red tipped claws, fairly active, non aggressive, hides most of the time.

All materials in this fishtank were collected from natural areas. Except the sand, which i bought in a large bag. The logs were bleached and dried, rinsed, then used. I also had deer antlers in this fishtank. They looked great, but some sort of biofilm covered them and upon removal from the water, they emitted the WORST smell ever, so i will not do that again. I assume it was some sort of bacteria. The areas i collected were usually shallow, very rocky with open areas, had many floating leaves, logs, and sand - mud bottom. Very little vegetation was found under the water. Thus, i tried to recreate this so that the fish would interact as they would in nature. It is very interesting to observe the fish's behavior and interaction amongst each other, especially because they are acclimated to each other from living together naturally. I tried to collect juvenile sunfish, as they are easier to acclimate, and if caught early enough, learn to tolerate each other. Older individuals have a hard time acclimating and are very aggressive. I have kept many sunfish species, and i would say the long ear's maybe the most mild mannered, and also the most colorful (i have had greens, bluegills, warmouth, ). They also have a pretty small mouth, which keeps them from eating tankmates.

The fish i have include long ear sunfish (juvenile, 4), 1 bluegill, 1 bullhead, 5 shiners (unidentified), 2 bluntnose minnow, 2 striped topminnow, a few rainbow darters, 2 creek chub, and one other fish that is very similar to the creek chub, but with an inferior mouth.

With this said, the most aggressive species is the bluntnose minnow, as it will chase and harrass any fish regardless of size (chases fish much bigger). The long ears are only aggressive toward each other, they seem to be territorial. The catfish comes out at night and sort-kinda harrasses other fish, its weird to watch. The rainbow darters are hard to feed, only accept bloodworms. Other than this, everything seems to work out, occasionally a fish will become injured, and all of the inhabitants of my fishtank go into a sort of "frenzy" and attack the injured fish until it dies and eat the remains. They also go crazy whenever a crayfish molts, i assume there is some sort of chemical emitted during this process. The creek chub are just cumbersome and eat anything, rarely aggressive, but will fight back when provoked. The shiners just stick together, and also eat anything. The topminnows chase each other, but are the most peaceful fish.

Attached Files

Edited by tadpoleboy, 09 December 2008 - 05:34 PM.

#2 Guest_tadpoleboy_*

Guest_tadpoleboy_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2008 - 05:24 PM

more pics

Attached Files

#3 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2008 - 05:35 PM

Nice tank, it looks like a "real", nothing fancy community tank that's true to life. Be careful about removing freshwater mussel shells, in most states you're at some risk of being accused of poaching if you don't have a permit of some kind.

#4 Guest_tadpoleboy_*

Guest_tadpoleboy_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2008 - 06:35 PM

i also want to mention that i tried to attain a species for each level of the aquarium. The catfish, darters, and crayfish occupy the lower bottom area of the tank, the sunfish, shiners, chub, and bluntnose occupy the middle level, and the topminnow stay near the surface. I also had some gambusia that lived near the top, but they were eaten (i put them in there for that purpose). I feel that doing this creates a more aesthetically pleasing scene

#5 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 10 December 2008 - 11:03 AM

I like your tank a lot and am also a fan of community tanks and providing a stratefied environment for different niche inhabitants.

One note of caution... I have had pretty bad experiences with Creek Chubs... they are a large mouthed omnivore that can grow very big and will eat all their neighbors given the chance and the time... a better substitue would be a chub of the Nocomis genus (blueheads being my local favorite... check the avatar).
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#6 Guest_tadpoleboy_*

Guest_tadpoleboy_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2008 - 01:54 PM

ah yes... i have many creek chub in my day. I had a very large one that would eat crayfish or anything that fit in its mouth. So once they get to that size, they're gone. I dont want anything big enough to eat my crayfish, simply because they are very good at cleaning up and save me a lot of work. Same goes for the bullhead... If i cannot find adoptive homes, they become fish food...dont ask

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users