Using NatureServe...

6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_benmor78_*

Guest_benmor78_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2008 - 04:38 AM

I going to start collecting in earnest for a 150 gallon tank. The species I want are not all conveniently located in one watershed where I live, they are spread in several different areas about 70 - 100 miles apart. Now how do I use the HUC numbers from Natureserve in conjunction with, say, Google maps to plan my outing?

#2 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2008 - 08:07 AM

Ben,

This might not be the best advice but I'll give it a shot.

I would use the Distribution of Native U.S. Fishes by Watershed where you want to sample, then click the name of the water you want to fish.
The map will read in plain English what water you're hovering over and will make a list of the fishes when you click the section.

natureserve.jpg

I would then use a paper version of the DeLorme Gazetteer and look up the water by name and search for likely access.

#3 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2008 - 08:26 AM

Or have open a second window with whatever mapping website you want to use, Google, TerraServer, TopoZone, and bring up a topo map or the terrain features. You can make out watersheds a little better with topo lines and streams are typically present down to 1st order or lower. Also, realize that everything listed for the HUC is found within the drainage, not one location. So your list will include headwater species, larger stream species, pond, lake, etc. I think that is the biggest mistake people tend to make with that NatureServe tool. They take it as dogma for any location within the area they want to go when you have to take into account aspects of location and your target species life histories.

#4 Guest_rjmtx_*

Guest_rjmtx_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2008 - 08:47 AM

What species are you looking for? I just finished up some work on those East Tx streams last month and might be able to help out a little. The Natureserve site is good, but definitely not the final word. If we're targeting a certain fish, we take what we know about its habits, and map out multiple road xings to hit on a trip. Google works, but I always use maps of the paper variety; just think it's easier, especially for creeks.

#5 Guest_benmor78_*

Guest_benmor78_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2008 - 08:52 AM

What species are you looking for? I just finished up some work on those East Tx streams last month and might be able to help out a little. The Natureserve site is good, but definitely not the final word. If we're targeting a certain fish, we take what we know about its habits, and map out multiple road xings to hit on a trip. Google works, but I always use maps of the paper variety; just think it's easier, especially for creeks.

For the tank I"m putting together, I'm looking for plains topminnows (I found a creek in Garland for them on Google), orangethroat darters (which a kindly NANFA forum member gave me a location for a few months ago), madtoms of either local variety, p. vigilax (which are found a few hundred yards from my house), and the following lepomids of 3 1/2 inches or smaller: longear, redspotted or orangespotted, bluegill. I think that gives an interesting variety, but if I can find some other interesting species that are appropriate in driving distance, I'll get them too.

#6 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2008 - 04:51 PM

By the way, don't use the default NatureServe link for fishes by watershed:
http://www.natureser...dHucs/index.jsp
It puts the square map inside an undersized rectangular frame, and cuts off the right hand side.

Use this:
http://www.natureser...Hucs/master.htm
You'll get the entire square map, without the frame. You'll have access to areas that are hidden by the default link. I suggest that you click this link and then bookmark it.

#7 Guest_truf_*

Guest_truf_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2008 - 12:08 AM

By the way, don't use the default NatureServe link for fishes by watershed:
http://www.natureser...dHucs/index.jsp
It puts the square map inside an undersized rectangular frame, and cuts off the right hand side.

Use this:
http://www.natureser...Hucs/master.htm
You'll get the entire square map, without the frame. You'll have access to areas that are hidden by the default link. I suggest that you click this link and then bookmark it.

I was wondering about that very thing. When I enlarged the map, it cut off the area at which I wanted to look.
Thanks for the fix.
-Thom

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users