2009 American Fisheries Society Mtg

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_sschluet_*

Guest_sschluet_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2008 - 03:27 PM

Hi all,
Just paying dues and was reminded that the 2009 American Fisheries Society Annual Meeting (Aug 30-Sept 3) will be held in Nashville, TN. This may be an opportunity to get together with folks prior to the meeting for some dipping/snorkeling. Just throwing it out there and getting folks thinking about it.

Casper,
I will definitely be in touch. I look forward to the opportunity of hitting the water with you.

-Scott
Western NY

PS- Rode 35 miles on my motorcycle today in balmy Western NY (53 F). (Streams raging; the water is so high you could probably dipnet from bridges)

Edited by drewish, 27 December 2008 - 06:00 PM.

#2 Guest_sschluet_*

Guest_sschluet_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2008 - 03:34 PM

Sorry folks, topic should read "2009 American Fisheries Society Mtg". I can't figure out how to edit topic.
-Scott

#3 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2008 - 07:26 PM

Hey Scott, I was planning on making AFS my summer meeting. ESA is in Albequerque and ASIH is in Portland, and I don't have funding yet (or results). So count me in! :)

Todd

#4 Guest_Casper Cox_*

Guest_Casper Cox_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2008 - 09:34 PM

Nashville? Well that certainly is convenient... for me. Probably to expensive tho to contemplate attending. Nonetheless i would enjoy the opportunity to revisit some sites to the west of Nashville. Perhaps NY Scott we will do this together near about that time late August or early September. Much to see in this fine state of being in TN. Come sooner and you can see more to my east.

Warm today in Chattanooga but the water is very numbing. The fish and i are waiting for spring. We have had much much rain in December, so much that to our North ash flows. :(

Casper

#5 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2008 - 10:32 PM

I'm really really trying to make this meeting too. My cost savings for FMCS should help convince the bean counters though I'm not quite sure how things are going to pan out with it being in FY09. I'm time crunched for a poster abstract for what seemed to be an earlier than usual deadline. Lots of places I'd like to revist on the gazetter and a few I never got around to checking out. Even if I don't get my plans together in time I still may attend on the cheap or head down anyways.

#6 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2008 - 01:54 PM

I doubt I'll attend the meeting, but I'm definitely up for some side trips! Lots of good netting and snorkeling in the area, especially on the western Highland Rim.

#7 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2008 - 05:35 PM

I doubt I'll attend the meeting, but I'm definitely up for some side trips!

I'd like to get in the water in Tennessee myself. Keep me in the loop, please, if there's a trip developing. Thanks.

#8 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2009 - 08:17 AM

So attendees could be ... Scott, Todd....anyone else? Bruce, Dave....?

I should know by end of next week, but looking for ways I can cut back on some after meeting costs on potential side trips.

#9 Guest_rjmtx_*

Guest_rjmtx_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2009 - 10:32 AM

I think we're taking a crew from Texas State up there. Thus will include some of the folks y'all met in Athens. I just got back for the Southern Division AFS meeting in New Orleans and will be at the Texas Chapter meeting in two weeks. After New Orleans, I need to recover from, well, I'll say too much fish for the record. Hopefully time will be on our side in Nashville, and I'll be able to get out and catch some fish in the Miss. Drainage.
Robby

#10 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2009 - 11:24 AM

I probably won't attend the meeting, but I'd be up for field trips afterwards. There are many options, needless to say...

#11 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2009 - 05:23 PM

So I responded to an email looking for symposium contributers "are you still looking for people" a week after the deadline for symposia. I had not checked my grad school email since then and today I notice that the symposia was accepted and my name and a title is on the symposia. So apparently I'm an unconfirmed presenter now dealing with my personal anxieties of a week off during the prime of field season and the budget hit.

#12 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2009 - 06:29 PM

OK, so what's the symposium about?

#13 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2009 - 07:33 PM

See the symposia proposal I was forwarded below. Our data set is thankfully a gold mine for headwater streams, though it's definately not high up on my interests, if anything opposite. I was suprised to see how many oral presentations and posters were canceled on last years schedule so I may also present a native fish conservation poster that I originally decided against until next years SD-AFS meeting. I think the meeting circuit and process is in for some changes in the coming years. Having to submit proposals far in advance of registering is just not really conducive to lean travel budgets and approval by bean counters.

SYMPOSIA DESCRIPTION --- The diversity of life contained in headwater streams (springs, intermittent, first and second-order streams) contributes to the overall biodiversity of a river system. Small streams differ widely in their physical, chemical, and biotic attributes, and provide habitats for a range of unique species. Headwater species include permanent residents as well as migrants that travel to headwaters at particular seasons or life stages. Movement by migrant’s and stream flow link headwater streams with downstream rivers and the terrestrial ecosystem. Additionally, the exports of headwater streams (emergent and drifting insects, detritus, sediment, etc.) play a key role in structuring downstream river ecology. Degradation and loss of headwaters and their connectivity to ecosystems downstream threaten the biological diversity of entire river networks. Across North America, headwater streams have different functions and contributions to the ecological framework. In this symposium, we will explore the diversity between headwater systems across North America and how these unique systems interact with downstream rivers and their terrestrial ecosystem. To assist us we have gathered speakers across a wide range of geographies (Great Plains, Atlantic, Pacific and Gulf Coasts, Appalachians, and Rocky Mountains) and systems (Deserts, Forests, Grasslands, Urban, and Coastal Plains).

#14 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2009 - 08:24 PM

Ha! You at least have a chance at being reimbursed for attending a meeting. I'm pretty much on my own for that; Alabama has had lean economic times since about 1807.

But the symposium could be fun.

#15 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2009 - 10:57 PM

I may be there too, gonna give it a try and see if I can make it there through work.

#16 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2009 - 03:36 PM

Any updates to those who may be attending? Abstracts were due a while ago...Just began discussing some trips the other night, brushed off the ole Gazetteer, and found the binder full of land owner contacts.

#17 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2009 - 03:44 PM

I will if they accept my abstract ;)

My buddy Ryan from ORSANCO is coming down.

Scott, you still in with all the job changes?

I was thinking about some Little Buffalo / Lower Duck pre-convention (still haven't seen a live blotchside) and a lil' bit o' Green on the way home. As you know, I'm pliable :)

Todd

#18 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2009 - 04:08 PM

Buffalo and lower Duck sounds interesting. I honestly don't think I've been on the Duck below Columbia or west of that period. You really haven't seen a live blotchside? There's a neat camping/canoe livery on the Little I wouldn't mind going to. There are blotchsides nearby upstream and quite possibly at that location. Super partitioning, how could you pass that up!

#19 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2009 - 09:01 PM

Blotchsides, yeah, count me in! I've only seen them in the upper Paint Rock system. But I'm not going to AFS. Myself and Mike Sandel are almost the only people doing fish talks at the Association of Southeastern Biologists meeting on April 3 in Birmingham.

#20 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2009 - 09:14 PM

Apparently there's roving packs of blotchsides in the lower Duck. I can't wait to see this for myself :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users