2009 American Fisheries Society Mtg

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_Carptracker_*

Guest_Carptracker_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2009 - 11:06 PM

I'll be there, and I have to be there a few days before the regular meeting starts. But I would not mind adding something new to my life list. I keep a life list of fish caught on hook and line and always looking to find time for adding to it (although this last year I hardly fished, so busy with work and other life issues, and never added a single species to the list). Anyway, if anyone has a good suggestion about where to go to for unusual suckers or anything else unusual in the area and big enough to be caught on hook and line - I'd sure like to know. How big do blotchside logperch get? I don't have a lower limit, but I have never really steeled myself to size down to number 14 hooks and intentionally going after the really little ones. If you can't reasonably expect to catch it on number 6 or 8 hook, I probably won't try. I will, on occasion, resort to bait, though.

#22 Guest_sschluet_*

Guest_sschluet_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2009 - 08:31 AM

Todd-
Sorry for the delayed response, I am still in! Things have been a bit nutty with the new job. Commuting 3 hrs back to my house on weekends and working like crazy to get it ready for the market.
-Scott

#23 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2009 - 08:57 AM

Don't think this has been discussed yet, but it quite important. Premeeting or post meeting advenutres?

#24 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2009 - 10:06 AM

We are kicking around a post-meeting trip to the Lower Duck and Buffalo Rivers. There's a campground there off the Natchez about an hour from downtown Nashville between Hohnenwald and Columbia, maybe you guys stayed there when you were doing your research Matt? Schlueter is flying into Nashville, I'll pick him up. I think Casper is in for it. I'm glad to be a shuttle service from the airport and bring camping gear for others flying in. I have all sorts of tents and so forth.

Todd

#25 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2009 - 10:26 AM

I've never been that far west in TN for fish 8-[ . I think we are driving as a goup and tthen Tyler and I were going to join up and I'd fly back. Really pre or post doesn't matter to me I just needed to know so I could set my plans sometime soon.

#26 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2009 - 10:30 AM

Sounds great. Word has it there's schools of burtoni swimming about you as you snorkel in certain places. But that's just a rumor I heard ;)

#27 Guest_Casper Cox_*

Guest_Casper Cox_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2009 - 10:34 AM

Todd...
Still a ways off but if your talking about the place where i was offering for the last of 3 legs on the 1-1-100 trip it would be ideal. Convenient. Beautiful. Herds of Blotchside Loggies. Plenty of shiny, candy minners in the spring. Camping, both primative and refined, and they have 2 motel type rooms. They have a cookhouse sevring catfish and now a restaurant. Creek flows right through their property. Fairly convenient to other areas too. A good 100 mile radius of nice sites is available. It would make a nice base camp.
I would need to ok it with them first, i have not spoken with them since last summer.
It would be good to refine the dates and get a number of folks who are committed.
Casper

#28 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2009 - 10:47 AM

Casper, that's exactly where I was talking about. Would we really need a reservation of some sort? I say the assumption is that people are going to camp and bring food in a cooler, and if they want a room or whatever, they need to take care of it themselves. I don't think we should get into doing trip planning other than "We are going to stay here."

The dates that would make the most sense to me are Sept 3rd through the 7th (Labor Day). If folks need to come and go, we can arrange a morning meeting time and place, and it's "Be There or Be Square". This will give us 3 full days. If people don't have talks on the 3rd, we can scoot out in the morning and get most of a day then.

If you'd like to give them a call to make sure the place is still open, get the phone number posted (if people would want to get a hotel) and etc that would be a huge service tho :)

But yeah, I don't want to see this turn into a 10 page long thread, as they seem wont to do. Nor do I want to handle anyone's money. ;)

Todd

#29 Guest_rjmtx_*

Guest_rjmtx_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2009 - 06:05 PM

It's coming close to AFS time, so I thought I'd revive this. Is anyone attending or presenting? I'm going to take a van trip with part of our barbarian horde of fish wranglers from Texas State up to Nashville and would like to meet anyone on this forum that I can. I know Tom Near is presenting on black basses, but that's all I've really noticed since I haven't mapped out my week's schedule yet. Oh, and they make a big point of there being no drink tickets, just kegs. I noticed that right off.

#30 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2009 - 07:30 PM

I'm presenting in the headwater streams symposium. Originally I thought we were going to go down early but now it looks like we may stay later. I've got some places in mind, some places I could suggest, and am planning to meet up with a few friends and former colleauges in TN already but a location or two for NANFA collecting would be great. Should we rustle up email addresses?

#31 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2009 - 09:23 AM

I'm not attending the meeting but would love to take part in some trips. If anyone is interested in Western Highland Rim streams I know some good snorkeling spots.

#32 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:39 AM

Todd, you don't have any room in your vehicle available do you? My plans just got a major F up and I'm scrambling to get a plane ticket.

Who's not done with their presentation other than this guy?

Edited by ashtonmj, 20 August 2009 - 07:40 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users