New from Georgia

13 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_RedBeard_*

Guest_RedBeard_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2008 - 08:20 PM

Hi all,

Always interested in native fishes. I have a couple of biology degrees (not in fishes). One from the best school in Alabama and one from a pretty good school in Georgia. I work as a wildlife biologist. My comments and opinions are mine and do not reflect my employer...

My wife and I have been contemplating a native fishes tank for a while so we are going to start out with bluegill and see where we go from there. I am open to advice and recommendations.

RedBeard

#2 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2008 - 08:49 PM

So you have a degree from the University of Alabama in Huntsville? We're glad you found the forum.

#3 Guest_RedBeard_*

Guest_RedBeard_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2008 - 08:57 PM

So you have a degree from the University of Alabama in Huntsville? We're glad you found the forum.

Even better than that! I was fortunate enough not to go to one of those various UA schools (UAH, UAB, or UAT).

My Alma Mater is Auburn University.

I took Ichthyology while I was there and made a big fat C. That was a hard class.

#4 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2008 - 09:13 PM

Welcome! Browse around in the Photo and Video Gallery and you'll get lots of ideas.

#5 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2008 - 03:37 PM

Advice and recommendation: Don't start with bluegill. They are mean and ugly. Longears are much nicer. They can still be kinda mean, but man are they pretty.

#6 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 28 December 2008 - 08:59 PM

Always interested in native fishes. I have a couple of biology degrees (not in fishes). One from the best school in Alabama and one from a pretty good school in Georgia. I work as a wildlife biologist. My comments and opinions are mine and do not reflect my employer...

My wife and I have been contemplating a native fishes tank for a while so we are going to start out with bluegill and see where we go from there. I am open to advice and recommendations.

Welcome RedBeard, there are a few of us on here form Georgia (read some of the past posts and you can see that we have had a few trips together and such... you are more than welcome to join us next time we go... or if you are interested in going somewhere, let us know and we can make a trip out of it). Anyway, welcome, and if you are looking for recommendations, I would say to go with smaller fish (not bluegill)... my favorites are stream fishes (shiners and chubs... darters and dace... madtoms and topminnows)... make far a very interesting and colorful community tank.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#7 Guest_RedBeard_*

Guest_RedBeard_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2008 - 12:48 AM

Looks like bluegill are not the way to go...

I was thinking they would be readily available (we live near a fish hatchery) in case we screwed up bad.

#8 Guest_wegl2001_*

Guest_wegl2001_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2008 - 09:39 AM

Even better than that! I was fortunate enough not to go to one of those various UA schools (UAH, UAB, or UAT).

My Alma Mater is Auburn University.

I took Ichthyology while I was there and made a big fat C. That was a hard class.

Welcome Redbeard and War Eagle!!!!

#9 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 31 December 2008 - 08:54 AM

Looks like bluegill are not the way to go...

I was thinking they would be readily available (we live near a fish hatchery) in case we screwed up bad.

Well I was going to ask before, but since you live near a hatchery now I can't resist... Where in Georgia are you?... you don't have to be too specific (that can be kind of weird on line) just maybe the county or the drainage... this would help us know what kind of fish you might find close to your house, and also let us know if you are close enough to come on a trip with some of us to cllect a few fish.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#10 Guest_RedBeard_*

Guest_RedBeard_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2009 - 08:23 AM

Well I was going to ask before, but since you live near a hatchery now I can't resist... Where in Georgia are you?... you don't have to be too specific (that can be kind of weird on line) just maybe the county or the drainage... this would help us know what kind of fish you might find close to your house, and also let us know if you are close enough to come on a trip with some of us to cllect a few fish.

Walton Co.

Edited by RedBeard, 12 January 2009 - 08:27 AM.

#11 Guest_RedBeard_*

Guest_RedBeard_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2009 - 08:24 AM

Welcome Redbeard and War Eagle!!!!

War Eagle! I grew up very near Fairhope.

#12 Guest_RedBeard_*

Guest_RedBeard_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2009 - 09:00 PM

The are draining ponds right now. They have some bluegill and redear sunfish and some channel cats in the runs now for public fish distribution. I saw anywhere from not quite 1 inch to 3 inches or so. They get a handful of albino channel cats out of the ponds too. Thought that was interesting. Our tank is just about ready and I might try a couple of these to get started (I am not ignoring the advice given earlier, but I really love sunfish and always wanted a sunfish tank.)

#13 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 13 January 2009 - 12:21 AM

Walton Co.

Man, you live right here... by that I mean I live in Oconee County... just one county north of you... we definitely have to get you out on one of our collecting trips... it woul dbe easy for us to meet up...

...and I read your other post about sunfish, which is cool if that's what you want, I understand the appeal... but do you realize you live in the home range of one of the best all time looking aquarium fish (my opinion of course, but take a look at this other thread).

http://forum.nanfa.o...wtopic=5886&hl=

#14 Guest_khudgins_*

Guest_khudgins_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2009 - 11:21 AM

There's a few of us in the area. May i introduce you to the Dollar Sunfish, stays small, easy to keep, and are in our area?

Newton Co. here, one county south of you. ;P

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users